Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
# 31
10-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxottoman View Post
Yeah Data fired torp spread2 with no points spec'd into torps or torp consoles. xD doing no damage.

Well this is just another "revitalizing pvp" thread for the books.

But you want revitalization? Go into the queues. Show that there's a player base before asking for stuff.

-PaxOttomana of Turkish RP Heroes
I posted that this was a thread for positive feedback on new ideas and not about the current PvP system.

Last edited by robuille; 10-26-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Career Officer
# 32
10-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Well, not everyone may like the idea..., but as for money in it and if it would draw in players..., Sony makes a ton off of this idea in their comic based MMORPG. It's a proven profit driven platform that their players support enthusiastically. I just started playing the game and already I bought two of their Legendary Characters for Legendary PvP not too long ago. I would probably buy just about ALL the hypothetical Zen Store ICONIC PvP characters released. I mean..., Worf!?! Who wouldn't buy Worf to ground PvP with? Especially if they added in soundbytes from the show that quoted him every time he used a signature ability. "IT IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!"

This leads me to my counterpoints on previous negative feedback.

Not many MMORPG's could even lay claim to support the idea of "ICONIC PvP". Star Trek is one of the Elite few franchises that evokes name recognition of its greats. If you were to ask just about anyone who Spock or Captain Kirk are, whether they liked the franchise or not, they'd be able to identify them. This franchise's fan base is typically more knowledgeable about its "Icons" than most others. Parodies in mass media abound with jabs at those of us who can name off characters like Lore and then tell you the episode title, number and what season it came from. Why do we appear in mainstream media and television for this? Because we can say that Lore is Commander Data's Brother, appeared first in the Episode 13, Datalore, season 1. If the game base is comprised of these fans (and fans somewhat less devoted) then this idea becomes an exciting extension with almost limitless posibilities. Other MMO's don't do this because there's no character, let alone cast of characters that anyone would be able to recognize inside the game. Even the most popular of MMO's don't have a single NPC in them that would inspire anyone want to play in PvP as that character. To put this in contrast..., we have legacy NPC's like Sulu that are the children of our Star Trek greats just sitting in Earth Space Dock. And you know what..., everyone recognizes who he is and the significance of who he is.

This idea isn't great because it circumvents the current system. It's great because it gives players who want the experience of playing as their favorite characters while simultaneously opening a PvP venue for new players who haven't yet had the time to purchase MkXII purple consoles and weapons to jump into PvP immediately. And if done right..., the rewards system put in place for "ICONIC PvP" matches might even help those players earn the Mk XII gear and perhaps even new sets of gear (like the Omega/M.A.C.O./Reman/Jem'Hadar/ etc.) they really need to get into the current PvP ques. So it has the potential to work out for both PvP systems and possibly increase the population of the current PvP system by adding a bit more fresh meat.

Condescend as much as you like, but this idea has the potential bring life into all PvP systems. A good starting point for new players and a ramp to get them into the mix with the seasoned veterans. Unless those veterans in their current established regimes are afraid of being dethroned by an influx of new and possibly better players..., I can't think of a single reason even they wouldn't want this.

Again..., for those die hard fans of the current PvP system that don't want any changes..., if you like it I'm deliriously happy for you. This is merely throwing out an idea that I think would translate well to STO and something that would add something extra for the fans of the Star Trek franchise that we haven't experienced yet. Not interested in "ICONIC PvP"? Okay. It wouldn't affect you anyways. Nay saying in this thread is welcome, but please bring constructive criticism to it. Without anything real to say, it's just trolling. This thread is for people who are better than that.

Last edited by robuille; 10-26-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Career Officer
# 33
10-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
In reading this thread - it made me think of some discount game you might find in a bargin bin at Wal-Mart, tbh... some people still think of STO as a MMORPG (as crazy as they may sound) - suggesting that they remove aspects of that just to make it a TPS/FPS game...meh.
I think I understand where you are coming from. I also hope you don't think that I was suggesting a PvP system replacement. On the contrary..., this would just be a different kind of PvP que. The normal ques would still exist and this would be an extra system. So no one is saying anything about the current PvP system or even calling for it to be changed. And hey, if it's not your thing that's perfectly fine too. So see..., there you have it. Still the same MMORPG with added plus of new type of PvP. Hope that clarifies things up a little.

Last edited by robuille; 10-26-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Career Officer
# 34
10-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
I was delirious with joy around paragraph three and positively wet myself shortly thereafter
And see..., this guy likes it. I think if more of our gaming community were exposed to this thread, we'd see this kind of enthusiasm in their responses. So spread the word for those of you who like this idea and link this post to friends. And of course, post your ideas, wishful thinking, or just post Iconic arenas, characters and ships you would like to see make it into Iconic PvP.

Last edited by robuille; 10-26-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Commander
# 35
10-26-2012, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robuille View Post
I posted that this was a thread for positive feedback on new ideas and not about the current PvP system.
That is positive. It's telling you to queue up.

Make a yourself a pre-made. Be 1 more fleet in the PvP queues for the Devs to notice. This is a money sensitive request you're making. If there are no consumers, then your request won't be carried out.

-PaxOttomana Turkish RP Heroes.
Captain
# 36
10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robuille View Post
I think I understand where you are coming from.
It literally sounds like a separate game to me - was what I was trying to say. A Vs. mode from a single player game that you might find in the arcade, on a console, or even PC...

...if you're playing an iconic character, you're not playing your character. If you're not playing your character, you're no longer playing the same game.

Now, LotRO did the "monster play" - but that was there way of trying to include something... /cough.

A system akin to that - where one side travels back in time to fight a certain icon - well, when you add in not wanting to change the timeline, the player's ability to respawn, etc, etc, etc...

...it still comes off as a separate game.

Just my 2 EC, not accounting for S7 inflation...
Career Officer
# 37
10-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
It literally sounds like a separate game to me - was what I was trying to say. A Vs. mode from a single player game that you might find in the arcade, on a console, or even PC...

It's too bad then that you haven't grasped or simply dislike the concept. But as everyone is entitled to their opinion...,

But as stated before..., it would be a system that wouldn't effect anyone who did not prefer it. So thank you for the input. It seems there is nothing left for you to say on this topic without simply repeating yourself.
Ensign
# 38
10-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I love how people get kick from a fleet and then try to ruin the idea's people have because he still upset and this is a fun and great idea and it can make the game money and bring more players to the game say what you will but its old dude Have a nice day

Last edited by bigdogg76; 10-26-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Captain
# 39
10-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcommando101 View Post
Epic 20 vs 20 PvP battles....

Environmental factors such as nebulas, a myriad of asteroids, and so many more game changing factors.
You just described 'Starfleet Command', tho not a true MMO it does have those (above). STO on the otherhand has OP heals and powers, rubber asteroids, tractors that anchor ships stationary, simplified power management, dead crew that come back to life, no boarding parties, etc. Everything an entry level fantasy game should have but nothing that would make PvP truly interesting.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Ensign
# 40
10-26-2012, 03:30 PM
honestly i like the idea of being a iconic captain in pvp,it would be alot of fun imo,all i see is postive comeing from this and tons and tons of fun.