Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
# 41
10-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I think this idea is great, anything that can add to the over all gaming experience is surely going to be a positive.
As for the is it worth cryptic investing the time and money into this, surely being able to advertise new content will bring both new and old players to the game.
Many people avoid PvP because some just don't have the time to grind to get the best gear so just get ripped to shreds.
This system would mean that more casual players would have a chance to play PvP on a more pure skill basis rather than those who have had the luck/time to get the best gear.
Lets hope cryptic take this thread on board
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,064
# 42
10-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robuille View Post
But as stated before..., it would be a system that wouldn't effect anyone who did not prefer it.
But that's not true.

You're asking for the devs to spend time creating a separate mini-game within STO. They have a limited amount of time and resources. Rather than asking them to work on and improve STO itself...you're asking them to do something that most definitely would affect anyone who did not want a separate mini-game that had nothing to do with STO developed.

You're asking for a new Star Trek game... a multiplayer third-person shooter where you can play as your favorite character from the different series and movies.

What has that got to do with STO in the least? It's an entirely separate game...
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12
# 43
10-26-2012, 03:39 PM
I see alot of potential from this idea and i hope PW pickes up on it,a win for all around and what i mean by win for all is fun for all,think about it iconic captain blazeing through the stars chaseing your enemy down just to see him go into space dust,muahahahaha...pretty fire ball oh was that your ship catian sulu so sorry...hope it happens!!!
Career Officer
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12
# 44
10-26-2012, 03:43 PM
You ideas and likeness should be joined with that of cryptic and this game. it will bring great joy and oneness to our collective.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 46
# 45
10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Ha! I just had another thought for the rewards system..., unique duty officers! Photonic lifeform duty officers that are strategic replicas of the most famous/notorious Iconic characters from Star Trek history. Call it "Federation/KDF College of Strategy/War Photonic Reinforcements."

Photonic Sulu Conn Officer anyone? And since Warfare Specialists were an added class of duty officer, how about a Chief of Engineering Laforge Photonic DOFF? And to make it super special..., how about special BOFF DOFFs? A photonic DOFF that you can also use as a BOFF. Anyone want a Photonic Cmdr. Riker DOFF you can take on away missions as well? Okay, that one might be a little too much. It's a rough idea, but I think PW could toy with it. I mean..., this would be a good idea whether it was used as an "Iconic PvP" reward or if it even just came out for a season as a new purchaseable duty officer pack.


..., but would be better as part of the rewards system for "Iconic PvP"

Last edited by robuille; 10-26-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 363
# 46
10-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
But that's not true.

You're asking for the devs to spend time creating a separate mini-game within STO. They have a limited amount of time and resources. Rather than asking them to work on and improve STO itself...you're asking them to do something that most definitely would affect anyone who did not want a separate mini-game that had nothing to do with STO developed.

You're asking for a new Star Trek game... a multiplayer third-person shooter where you can play as your favorite character from the different series and movies.

What has that got to do with STO in the least? It's an entirely separate game...
Rob doesn't understand how it all works. He's new and needs special clarification on stuff.

He sincerely believes, with the current low player base for pvp there's reason for the devs to invest into it. He does not know or does not acknowledge the revamp for pvp was cancelled for the very reason of having a lack of a player base.

Asking for something like this is, is well delusional at best due to the current status of the game (at least it's pvp aspect).

Go queue up. Create a player base. Help create a premade team. I have done this with 4 fleets since FDC.

106th
ISC
Osmanli
TOS Veterans

Post videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnt6aUPRUPM such as these to inspire!

Then you will be in a better position to make requests on "fixes" first and foremost (needed the most in PvP right now), before any new modules to PvP game play.

-PaxOttomana of Turkish RP Heroes
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
# 47
10-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxottoman View Post
Rob doesn't understand how it all works. He's new and needs special clarification on stuff.

He sincerely believes, with the current low player base for pvp there's reason for the devs to invest into it. He does not know or does not acknowledge the revamp for pvp was cancelled for the very reason of having a lack of a player base.

Asking for something like this is, is well delusional at best due to the current status of the game (at least it's pvp aspect).

Go queue up. Create a player base. Help create a premade team. I have done this with 4 fleets since FDC.

106th
ISC
Osmanli
TOS Veterans

Post videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnt6aUPRUPM such as these to inspire!

Then you will be in a better position to make requests on "fixes" first and foremost (needed the most in PvP right now), before any new modules to PvP game play.

-PaxOttomana of Turkish RP Heroes
Hey old buddy, how are you. I'm not even going to touch the "new" comment you made about him, but we both know you're talking out of the side of your mouth. Enough of that, i'm not here to argue, but to make some points.

PVP would be much more fun and more people playing in PVP if the premades weren't there. What's the point of going into the Queue's for some fun PVP if you're facing 5 people that practice daily just to "own" the mixed teams that arrive there randomly? I don't have time or interest to spend 4 hours a day in the queue's fine tuning my ship. However, I do like to PVP both in space and on the ground. (more on the ground)

As for your comment about PVP not having the player base, there are considerable amounts of private matches taking place outside of the queues because of the premades that flood them. I'll admit we did put premades on the ground over a year ago, but no one wanted to fight us except for the sistas, so we started to break it up when we went into the queues. They got more active, then more premades started to show up which kinda forced the independents to not queue as much because they would get slaughtered.

What I'm saying is, there is an ebb and flow to the queues, always has been, always will be. Just because you don't see matches taking place doesn't mean they aren't. The only people that KNOW what is going on is Cryptic, and they aren't talking about what's planned for PVP either in the short term or the long term.

Now onto the idea. Some are saying that it's a game within a game, some are saying they have no interest in it... TBH, no one plays every aspect of the game. You have people that won't touch DOFF officers, won't touch STF's, won't touch PVP, etc. My point is, every new addition to the game won't be for everyone... does that mean they stop adding new stuff because a minority may not like it? No, the job of Cryptic is make money and grow subscribers. To do they they need to take chances and try to draw more people in. This is one of those ideas.

Have fun and happy hunting.

Coli - FDC Fleet Admiral
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,064
# 48
10-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecolione View Post
Now onto the idea. Some are saying that it's a game within a game, some are saying they have no interest in it... TBH, no one plays every aspect of the game. You have people that won't touch DOFF officers, won't touch STF's, won't touch PVP, etc. My point is, every new addition to the game won't be for everyone... does that mean they stop adding new stuff because a minority may not like it? No, the job of Cryptic is make money and grow subscribers. To do they they need to take chances and try to draw more people in. This is one of those ideas.
You start up STO.
Enter user/pass.
Hit Engage.
Create a character or select a character you previously created.
Hit Play.
Welcome to STO...

This idea on the other hand...

You start up STO.
Enter user/pass.
Hit Engage.
Select an iconic character.
Hit Play.
Welcome to not STO...

There's a vast difference between adding things to a game that people may or may partake of...when those things are actually still part of the game.

It's a MMORPG... you create a character and play it.

Playing an iconic character... is not a MMORPG thing.

Hence why it would be a separate game - a different game - a game that might draw crowds if there were enough different iconic characters for folks to play...and not pout because somebody already took Kirk, Picard, Archer, and Janeway so they were left having to play Sisko...
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 151
# 49
10-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
... not pout because somebody already took Kirk, Picard, Archer, and Janeway so they were left having to play Sisko...
Nothing wrong with Sisko.

This sort of sounds like 'Monster Play' in LotRO (Lord of the Rings Online). You're right, it would be a 'different game', much like monster play is in LotRO but it survives there.

My worry would be that I don't think Cryptic can get the licenses for any of the people listed? Otherwise I think this is quite the interesting idea.
Join Date: AUG 2008 / Fleet:4077th
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
# 50
10-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
You start up STO.
Enter user/pass.
Hit Engage.
Create a character or select a character you previously created.
Hit Play.
Welcome to STO...

This idea on the other hand...

You start up STO.
Enter user/pass.
Hit Engage.
Select an iconic character.
Hit Play.
Welcome to not STO...

There's a vast difference between adding things to a game that people may or may partake of...when those things are actually still part of the game.

It's a MMORPG... you create a character and play it.

Playing an iconic character... is not a MMORPG thing.

Hence why it would be a separate game - a different game - a game that might draw crowds if there were enough different iconic characters for folks to play...and not pout because somebody already took Kirk, Picard, Archer, and Janeway so they were left having to play Sisko...
From the way he is explaining it, there could be two or more picards as long as you've unlocked that as part of the progression of whatever form they would make it (reputation, training, doff, etc) It could be worked into a training or historical aspect of the game and utilize the holodecks at the academy. It's not something that folks would be forced to partake in, but would be an added aspect to the game the same way the Path to 2409 or Dabo is. It wouldn't affect your character, but adds something else to the game. And the best part... you would generally buy the character access VIA the Zen Store. That said, Archer vs. Picard would be unbalanced, but that would be that persons choice and you could put 4 archers up against a Picard in a match and see the results. You could have 5 picards vs 5 picards if all players have unlocked that level of play in the system.

I agree it could be a separate game, but it could be an addition to this game and progression if implemented correctly.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 PM.