Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,936
Instead of re-using old content (STFs) to push the new system/mechanic (Reputation) why didn't Cryptic simply....

Allow players to buy Mk XII gear for say 80 or 100 EDCs?

Seems like an awful lot of system team work went into this with the only positive aspect to the player base being a reliable way other than a random drop to get the gear. I mean sure we do get new passive to choose from as well but those could have simply been tied to some form of new content...like the Romulan ones.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 2
10-20-2012, 09:55 PM
There are probably two reasons that they're doing this.

1) To partially monetize the process. You can grind dilithium and marks if you want, but at least the dil half can, in theory, be purchased. This is made more profitable in that it has to be done for every toon.

2) Slowing people down. If you play for 72 hours straight (let us ignore the fact that some gamers have died doing this) and grind yourself a brand new set of everything, you might not be around in a month to buy more stuff from the C-Store. Note that "be around" includes both quitting and being found face-down on the keyboard.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,646
# 3
10-20-2012, 10:08 PM
They aren't getting my money because I am stuck in the ques and can't earn these new marks in this graveyard.

I hope it isn't this underpopulated when Season 7 hits Holo.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 4
10-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
They aren't getting my money because I am stuck in the ques and can't earn these new marks in this graveyard.

I hope it isn't this underpopulated when Season 7 hits Holo.
Tribble queues are generally pretty sparse much of the time. The best times to find activity are when someone is organizing it (whether it be a group of friends or a community event), the first few hours after content hits Tribble, and on testing weekends, the latter of which will get you a reward at some point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 244
# 5
10-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Totally agree. This was also my thought. Make the XIIset pieces buyable with 100EDC. All problems solved.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,716
# 6
10-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Instead of re-using old content (STFs) to push the new system/mechanic (Reputation) why didn't Cryptic simply....

Allow players to buy Mk XII gear for say 80 or 100 EDCs?

Seems like an awful lot of system team work went into this with the only positive aspect to the player base being a reliable way other than a random drop to get the gear. I mean sure we do get new passive to choose from as well but those could have simply been tied to some form of new content...like the Romulan ones.
You don't know Cryptic, they just love reinventing the wheel (STFs) a couple of times per year.

Original Release just has AP Borg Weapons, then they added the other weapon types, then they changed it from random drop to Marks of Valor, then Mark 11 Emblems, then Borg Sets, then the major revamp with the new STFS with EDCs / Salvage / Tech.

And now with STF V2.1.

Honestly, they shouldn't be tinkering with it. The Reputation system should complement the current system not revamp it once again. Not to mention making the STF store on DS9 totally useless (just like how the revamp made Omega Fleet another worthless place).

If you ask me, they forget the STF changes and just focus on the Romulan nonsense.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,845
# 7
10-21-2012, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
You don't know Cryptic, they just love reinventing the wheel (STFs) a couple of times per year.

Original Release just has AP Borg Weapons, then they added the other weapon types, then they changed it from random drop to Marks of Valor, then Mark 11 Emblems, then Borg Sets, then the major revamp with the new STFS with EDCs / Salvage / Tech.

And now with STF V2.1.

Honestly, they shouldn't be tinkering with it. The Reputation system should complement the current system not revamp it once again. Not to mention making the STF store on DS9 totally useless (just like how the revamp made Omega Fleet another worthless place).

If you ask me, they forget the STF changes and just focus on the Romulan nonsense.
I personally hate the tech drop system enough to not bother with it....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 471
# 8
10-21-2012, 04:18 AM
Meowxactly. The tech drops were so much pure luck, now you can actually go for it with normal gameplay. Okay, sum liffium needed, butt it's all doable. When I look at the Tear 0 purrjects, I smiled. So few to do, you can easily do the 2K XP assignment (takes even the same time and more than dubble XP).
"Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,389
# 9
10-21-2012, 04:42 AM
I get that it's new content for the people who in 2 years never got it, and probably great news for the people who either can't beat the ground maps or don't like them.

However it's wrong to call it new content. I only played over the summer and this is like antique to me.

And it could have been as little as allowing more colors on the omega set...


When you introduce 10 tiers of grinding and label it new content, you can't come out and say oh ps. it's the gear you already have and you paying dilithium for it
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,845
# 10
10-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
I get that it's new content for the people who in 2 years never got it, and probably great news for the people who either can't beat the ground maps or don't like them.

However it's wrong to call it new content. I only played over the summer and this is like antique to me.

And it could have been as little as allowing more colors on the omega set...


When you introduce 10 tiers of grinding and label it new content, you can't come out and say oh ps. it's the gear you already have and you paying dilithium for it
Go on tribble and read carefully. there is more stuff in there than there was before.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 AM.