Empire Veteran
# 1 My Affirmation
10-20-2012, 12:51 AM
With all the things going on right now, mostly the prep for season 7, the game is really chaotic in what people are thinking, but I'd just like to step on the soap box, and get above the waves of turmoil for just a moment:

I won't be quitting this game, not until the day the server shuts down forever. At least not quitting short of something so extreme, I can't even think of what it might be, just a lot worse then even season 7 is.

Now, why do I say that?

Regardless of my feelings for PWE or Cryptic, I still look, and see that this game is labeled 'Star Trek Online'. Star Trek, we all know it in way or another somehow; I don't really need to try and explain anything about it, because we know it.

That seems confusing and off topic, but within Star Trek, we always saw brave men and women, completely willing to do what was necesary for the greater good. Or, as has been said 'the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few...or the one'.

Anyways, that might seem a bit random, but I felt it necessary.

So...one of this game's biggest selling points has always been (to me at least), that 'You! Are the captain!" I mean, that's the greatest fanboy 'squee' ever when it comes to Star Trek. I get to play the captain of my own ship, etc etc etc.

But...going on that notion, and while I am not an RPer, I feel that I am going to follow that very same point to it's logical conclusion: Going down with the ship.

Or of course, not quitting the game, short of a super-extreme change (or being banned, if that should happen for some reason). I feel it's the honorable thing to do.

A Starfleet Captain wouldn't willingly abandon ship knowing some of the crew hadn't gotten out and who could've lived. A Klingon Captain is not a dishonorable coward and runs merely because he doesn't like the situation he is in.

So, I'll be staying until the end, regardless.

However, by no means am I trying to guilt-trip anybody into staying, I'm just giving my POV and choice in the matter.

This all seems probably quite random, and really doesn't matter what one single player is choosing to do, but I was really needing to say something. If you don't agree with me, that's fine. If this post is edited or deleted, perhaps even getting a forum ban, that's fine too, I couldn't stop it obviously.

To Cryptic: I've never had any qualms or issues with anybody there (despite what it might seem like sometimes in my posts), you guys have always done really well in my larger, longer-term opinion, with what you have.

To Perfect World: I have some very detailed I'd love to say, even if you wouldn't read it; . It doesn't matter though anyways, your means and methods are quite clear to me, and they won't ever change. So I say, go ahead, milk this game, put your foot in western markets and see what happens.

I've said my peace, if I get edited or banned, once again, so be it. If you agree or disagree, that's fine. Regardless, I'll see you all around the forums, and possibly in the game. I just really needed to say SOMETHING.

Starfleet Veteran
# 2
10-20-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm just going to point out that the doom sayers and rumor mongers always start screaming when ever anything new is being tested. 9 times out of 10 they are completely and utterly wrong.

Perhaps we should all reserve judgment for when s7 is more than a few tidbits on tribble.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Captain
# 3
10-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Well said

If another Star trek game that obeys cannon
Is released is the only way I will leave.

If another company released a cannon star trek game
This one would fail I'n a few months anyway.

Until that happens I will be here
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Republic Veteran
# 4
10-20-2012, 01:51 AM
Yeah every time there is something new in the game, everyone goes nuts and screams The End is near...or the game wont have long left...or this is the end....I remember when Lock Boxes came out...people said The game wont last a year like that...and here we are.

but yeah, all will go back to that status quo the month after season 7.

Starfleet Veteran
# 5
10-20-2012, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Yeah every time there is something new in the game, everyone goes nuts and screams The End is near...or the game wont have long left...or this is the end....I remember when Lock Boxes came out...people said The game wont last a year like that...and here we are.

but yeah, all will go back to that status quo the month after season 7.
Yep this game has been "about to fail" since launch. And yet it hasn't. And every ship or special weapon so far "has broken" game balance and made it "unplayable".

There was also a mass exodus somewhere I failed to notice when SWTOR launched.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
I remember when Lock Boxes came out...people said The game wont last a year like that...and here we are.
If I knew every second loot drop is that crap I'd never register in the first place.

The game will last till someone makes a real star trek game, and then all star trek fans will move away from the las vegas house always wins gambling machine that doesn't deserve to hold the star trek name.
And when I leave it'll be because of boxes fraud. For the same reason I've already left several games at the box con job is spreading among MMOS like a plague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
There was also a mass exodus somewhere I failed to notice when SWTOR launched.
SWTOR is slap in the face to all KOTOR1&2 fans. What mass exodus are you talking about? I'd rather burn my money instead of giving it to SWTOR.

Last edited by joxertm2; 10-20-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Captain
# 7
10-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Well being forced into f2p is a near-death experience at the least.

And you have to ask yourself if this game wasn't a star trek game how long would it last or have lasted?

I think the consensus is we keep the game up by buying 2 year old ships you had from the initial development and in return we get new content.

Just people feel the new content is missing and have been a long time now.

Personally I can't really complain since I am pure f2p but I recognize what is keeping the game up is not superior developing talent and raw skill and creativity but star trek fans willing to pay hundreds of dollars for an old ship.

Those people deserve to be recognize by developers as people who put stock in the game.

If we ever meet in-game what is going to seperate me from you, your LTS borg implant?
Don't get me wrong it's great you are free to grind your way there but the people putting down money should be spoiled and cared for and at the very least listened to.

And for them time I have been here it seems the developers have put a huge effort into cashing in but not returning a whole lot.

Lastly, forums are for 2 things, asking questions and complaining - if you look at your own thread here it's a thread complaining about people complaining.

Generalizing is always wrong.
Empire Veteran
# 8
10-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
Lastly, forums are for 2 things, asking questions and complaining - if you look at your own thread here it's a thread complaining about people complaining.

Generalizing is always wrong.
You are right in that, I won't deny it. One does get tired of all the complaints, and while doing exactly that doesn't help the problem, I really just needed to say something.

Lieutenant
# 9
10-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Forums are usually places people come to complain, or to discover how to overcome a problem they are having with the game (thus the complaint). Expecting anything else is naive.

When people stop complaining, this game will die. They will no longer care.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
Now, why do I say that?

Regardless of my feelings for PWE or Cryptic, I still look, and see that this game is labeled 'Star Trek Online'. Star Trek, we all know it in way or another somehow; I don't really need to try and explain anything about it, because we know it.

That seems confusing and off topic, but within Star Trek, we always saw brave men and women, completely willing to do what was necesary for the greater good. Or, as has been said 'the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few...or the one'.

Anyways, that might seem a bit random, but I felt it necessary.

So correct me if Im wrong here. But it seems youre trying to say, without actually saying it, that we should support this game and whatever changes come down the pipe simply for its name sake?

If thats correct... Then Im going to have to disagree with you. I grew up on trek I ran around my house pretending I was Picard or his successor to the U.S.S. Enterprise D. That show, that saga influenced me as a boy, and a young man. Many of the values, the beliefs I still hold true to this day stem from Star Trek.

But what this game has become, the direction this game has taken. Is so alien, so completely opposite of what Star Trek was, and still is. A hope for mankind. A possible better future for our species, if we ever bothered to put aside our differences. This game is perpetually stuck in a war. In a conflict that reminds me of what things are like here and now. This isnt a future I want to believe in, this isnt a Star Trek I want to believe in. Your character (the Captain of your ship) does things that spit in the face of Star Trek. Things that are obvious deviations from what we learn to be the beliefs and laws of the peoples of the UFP thru the shows and movies.

The Developers and PWE have turned this game into an insult to the Star Trek IP. And CBS is all too happy to exploit that for the money. I can understand a monthly fee for an MMO, I can understand a micro transactions store. But turning it f2p was a move to exploit those fans that would be willing to pay millions to be apart of the Star Trek universe.

This isnt Star Trek by a long shot. And anyone who cared for the IP would know this. Supporting the constant changes to this game that have taken us farther from what is truely Star Trek. Is doing nothing more then letting the Developers/PWE/CBS know, its okay to continue to do these things. Because no matter how grindy, no matter how tiresome the game becomes. There will be someone willing to put a dollar to the game. To keep it running.