Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
I have heard again from unofficial sources, as I have heard in the past that there may be plans to put an end to the free "infinite" storage space that the mail system has become.

From all the changes that I have heard coming this is probably the only one I can say makes sense.

I don't think the mail system was designed as a long term place to store stuff and neither did Cryptic. I have been wondering for some time why they let this go on.

I know that with Gold and LTS you were supposed to get unlimited mail - but did this mean that you could use it as a place to store stuff?

Edit:

[b]With the increase in doff grinding costs - the removal of dilth from dismissing commons(75 to 1 is removal)

and peoples general lack of wanting to get rid of something for nothing


I see a Tsunami of doffs flooding the mail system after season 7 goes live - millions - perhaps 10's of millions

If I were Cryptic I would want to get ahead of the curve and prevent this from happening, rather than deal with deleting all those doffs in the system after a few weeks when they realize there are so many - 1) that would piss players off more 2) the exchange would turn into a circus

So is Cryptic's Mail system ready for this tital wave of doffs???.

Last edited by levi3; 10-22-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,750
# 2
10-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Um, where did you hear that from? Don't recall any news of the team making any comments regarding anything with the mail system.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 240
# 3
10-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Um, where did you hear that from? Don't recall any news of the team making any comments regarding anything with the mail system.
Neither do I, at least as far as storage. As I tend to always say in these instances of someone claiming something someone else said:

References please.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 4
10-21-2012, 02:15 PM
I edited the OP to be more accurate "unofficial" sources - still the question remains legitimate.

Was the mail system designed as a free infinite storage? And if not - will Cryptic remove this "exploit" in season 7?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 150
# 5
10-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Even if they do that you can still post abnormal exchange offers as there is no max price on items for whatever reason.
You do risk however someone buys your stored white doff for 100 millions, but then again, it wouldn't be that bad, wouldn't it?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 6
10-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxertm2 View Post
Even if they do that you can still post abnormal exchange offers as there is no max price on items for whatever reason.
You do risk however someone buys your stored white doff for 100 millions, but then again, it wouldn't be that bad, wouldn't it?
The exchange limits you to 40 items - the mail system is infinite - and I am sure takes up a significant amout of Cryptic's storage space.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 240
# 7
10-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
I edited the OP to be more accurate "unofficial" sources - still the question remains legitimate.

Was the mail system designed as a free infinite storage? And if not - will Cryptic remove this "exploit" in season 7?
You would have to ask someone in a position of authority at Cryptic, not us forum-dwellers, unless there's a reason for poking here about it. The mail system has been this way since STO's inception, and it's highly unlikely that Cryptic is unaware of the way their mail system can be used.

If no plans have been announced by someone official to alter the way the mail functions, then signs point to no for an answer to your query.

Why the sudden fascination with other peoples' mail storage?

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 240
# 8
10-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
The exchange limits you to 40 items - the mail system is infinite - and I am sure takes up a significant amout of Cryptic's storage space.
Sure how? What figures do you have that mail storage is currently impacting Cryptic's storage in any way that you can bring to your argument?

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 9
10-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyvix View Post
You would have to ask someone in a position of authority at Cryptic, not us forum-dwellers, unless there's a reason for poking here about it. The mail system has been this way since STO's inception, and it's highly unlikely that Cryptic is unaware of the way their mail system can be used.

If no plans have been announced by someone official to alter the way the mail functions, then signs point to no for an answer to your query.

Why the sudden fascination with other peoples' mail storage?
That's fine - you believe the answer is no. You have also not heard about this - so that answer is no.

Thanks for your input. I would love to hear an official comment from Cryptic. Perhaps I will. Why do you seem so concerned about my question?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 240
# 10
10-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
Why do you seem so concerned about my question?
I am concerned about anyone who brings up a proposed change without cited evidence.

Evidence you have yet to provide.

You may very well be on to something about the mail system and proposed changes. But forgive me if I don't trust 'an unofficial source', which used to be your 'dev announcement' before you changed it when being questioned, as a reason to follow you on it.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 AM.