Republic Veteran
# 21
10-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Then start a thread about all the rumors nip them all at once...ask the hard questions no one wants to ask like what is in Zone chat.

Is there really someone who spends $15,000 to keep the market afloat.

Does PWE plan an invasion of the U.S.

Are things really Gorntastic.

and much more.

Career Officer
# 22
10-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
I have heard again from unofficial sources, as I have heard in the past that there may be plans to put an end to the free "infinite" storage space that the mail system has become....
Though in reality, it isn't 'infinite' storage. The current cap for STO Email is 500 messages. Very few people are going to hit this limit, but I have hit it in the past when I was much more active in selling on the Exchange. (Those sale acknowledgement messages do add up unless you delete them on a regular basis...)
Captain
# 23
10-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
Though in reality, it isn't 'infinite' storage. The current cap for STO Email is 500 messages. Very few people are going to hit this limit, but I have hit it in the past when I was much more active in selling on the Exchange. (Those sale acknowledgement messages do add up unless you delete them on a regular basis...)
Well that is something I did not know - a 500 mail cap.
Empire Veteran
# 24
10-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Granted some of the things I hear are pretty wild - but this does not seem to be one of them.

You agree that this is an exploit?
No I don't since the current bank system is a shame. You get way too few slots for the amount of zen it costs, I'd rather see the current zen price for an additional bank tab of the gold membership size. There are so many items in game that the bank is way too small.

And we would have many trouble to keep some doffs. After all, Cryptic should show some appreciation to traders, we keep the markets stable and we provide a lot of value to them since they sell keys and since people who open lockboxes make an intensive use of the exchange to get the stuff they want. Sometimes I just need to keep 1k doffs, but in no way I'm ready to pay insane amounts of zen to do so.

As stated below we provide a service they need since they couldn't keep the exchange markets supplied in everything to allow those who buy keys to get what they want, so if they remove the ability to use mails they better provide us a lot of easiness to store stuff otherwise prices will go crazy quickly.

Last edited by diogene0; 10-21-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-21-2012, 06:26 PM
No, it is not an exploit.

The mail system has a specific limit, is designed to carry items, and has direction on the "compose" screen on how to mail to yourself.

I would say it's a functioning as intended, software designed from the game startup.

Last edited by tvlar; 10-21-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Commander
# 26
10-21-2012, 06:39 PM
So this is an exploit now? Using MMO mail systems to hold items? It's been around as long as MMOs. It's not an exploit and about all it has ever been good for is holding items or sending items to mules, with a very VERY small side of sending blank items to friends. Without this "feature" I would never be able to open countless doff packs due to the continued doff restriction of 400, or any restriction really. I guarantee you the grand majority of hardcore doff packers are doing the same exact thing as I. I'm sure Cryptic is in a major hurry to put a stop to doff pack purchases.
Captain
# 27
10-21-2012, 07:21 PM
So far I have heard nothing that addresses the question - was the mail designed as a long-term storage space?

I think the answer is no.

Was the mail designed as a place to store thousands of doffs? As many people apparently do?

I believe the mail system was designed to send things from one alt to another and from one person to another and was not designed as a holding place.

That's the only reason that I have given any thought to this - supposedly long time rumor that Cryptic may finally put a stop to it by putting a time limit on mail then auto deleting it - or a cap on data in your box as many other mail servers have.

Now that they seem to be monitizing everything they could want people to buy more bank space, buy the acount shared bank slots, maybe there are plans to let you buy a few hundred more doff slots - I have no idea.

I guess we will just have to wait and see as with everything else. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by levi3; 10-21-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 28
10-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Quote:
So far I have heard nothing that addresses the question - was the mail designed as a long-term storage space?

Was the mail designed as a place to store thousands of doffs? As many people apparently do?

I believe the mail system was designed to send things from one alt to another and from one person to another and was not designed as a holding place.

That's the only reason that I have given any thought to this - supposedly long time rumor that Cryptic may final put a stop to it by putting a time limit on mail then auto deleting it - or a cap on data in your box as many other mail servers have.

Now that they seem to be monitizing everything they could want people to buy more bank space, buy the acount shared bank slots, maybe there are plans to let you buy a few hundred more doff slots - I have no idea.

I guess we will just have to wait and see as with everything else. Thanks for your input.
it's not like Cryptic does not know what's in the mail system. They most likely know how every uses it, and they seem to think it's not a big deal.

Cryptic is always watching....when you feel that tingling feeling on the back of your neck...that's most likely a Zombie about to jump you RUN!!!!!.

Career Officer
# 29
10-21-2012, 07:40 PM
This just occurred to me...

IF (and I say IF) Cryptic is thinking of limitating our Mail in some capacity, then it will hurt regular players with the DOFF system.

I'm sure many players are at the 400 DOFF limit and in order to do Starbases, they have to temporarily put the non bound DOFFS in Mail Slots to make necessary room to contribute (I sure do).

So IF they are doing a mail limitation, then they will have to create somekind of DOFF storage, else players would have to delete DOFFs they don't want to, so they can do the Fleet and Reputation system (which does ask for DOFFs).
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Captain
# 30
10-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
it's not like Cryptic does not know what's in the mail system. They most likely know how every uses it, and they seem to think it's not a big deal.

Cryptic is always watching....when you feel that tingling feeling on the back of your neck...that's most likely a Zombie about to jump you RUN!!!!!.
So what you are saying is that they would have no plans to want people to buy more bank space - and more doff space if they added it?