Captain
Does anyone else think that NPCs should have defence bonuses to specific damage types, which varies by faction?

At the moment, players can equip shields that lower the damage taken from a specific weapon type (so if you know you'll be attacking Klingons you know to fit a [Dis] shield, Borg you fit a [Pla] etc). Why don't NPCs do the same?

The KDF are (supposed to be) at war with the Federation, so why doesn't the NPC KDF fleet have a [Pha] shield fitted, so any player that attacks an NPC Klingon ship would be better off using non-Phasers, and vice-versa so NPC Feds have [Dis] shields.

Obviously, not all the races have such clear-cut nemeses, so in the case of those races I would just make them resistant to the damage type they deal (Tholians, Undine and Borg are obvious examples. I'm not well versed on the politics of the ST universe but I'd assume the Breen, Iconians, and Jem'Hadar are also fairly set in the mentality of "it's not one of us, so we'll kill it").
Career Officer
# 2
10-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I dunno. While I can understand the idea, and think its pretty good? I'd rather the game not require a golf-bag approach to combat.

"Oh, look, a Klingon. What say you, caddy?"

"Hm... this Tetryon Mini-Gun would be idea considering they're clumped together, but I'd use Stealth to reposition to their flank."

"Ah, superb. We'll be back at the lounge in no time. You've earned your latinum today, my friend!"

For simplicity's sake, I'd just as soon leave things alone. If the idea was added/incorporated into the Elite Difficulty or something, that'd be kind of cool, since that's attracting a more hardcore type of player anyhow.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Republic Veteran
# 3
10-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikahiro View Post
I dunno. While I can understand the idea, and think its pretty good? I'd rather the game not require a golf-bag approach to combat.

"Hm... this Tetryon Mini-Gun would be idea considering they're clumped together, but I'd use Stealth to reposition to their flank."

"Ah, superb. We'll be back at the lounge in no time. You've earned your latinum today, my friend!"

For simplicity's sake, I'd just as soon leave things alone. If the idea was added/incorporated into the Elite Difficulty or something, that'd be kind of cool, since that's attracting a more hardcore type of player anyhow.
Yeah, it is simple enough to not use disruptors as a Klingon or not use phasers as a Fed. Especially as KDF we have some options but for Feds all that basically means is they qill equip themselves with disruptors instead of phasers...doesn't that really change anything?
Captain
# 4
10-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
for Feds all that basically means is they qill equip themselves with disruptors instead of phasers
If they're only going to use disruptors, they'll have trouble killing Romulans, Remans, Gorn, et al (which might give the player a shock if they're not expecting it, and they move on from the Klingon mission arc into the Romulan one).

Similarly, KDF players that only run Phaser builds would have issues with the Cardassians, and also any KDF vs KDF missions.

I believe that a mechanic like this would add more realism to the in-game universe, and also give every weapon type a tactical application, instead of the current "want damage, get Antiproton" mentality.
Career Officer
# 5
10-21-2012, 07:08 PM
I dunno. Again, there's little to stop someone from carrying around one or two of each weapon type in their inventory. A quick switch-out and there you go - all primed for the people you're about to fight. Walking around with an arsenal like that is counter to realism, unless you stopped people from switching equipment after beaming in (which, honestly, is more punishing than I'd like it to be).

Also, given we've have personal shields as well as tech that can reconfigure weaponry frequencies vs Borg, its sort of moot regardless in terms of realism. Having a larger weapon that had two or more beam types out would be relatively trivial when you think about it.

Personally, if you want more meaningful combat for PVE? Maybe the AI is where to look? Gorns and Klingons might provide cover fire so their comrades can get into melee range. Tactical Stealth kits make loads of sense for Romulans. Having runners that try to alert and bring in other groups would be incredibly sensible as well (or a dedicated Comm officer). Feddies could try dragging off their teammates to bring them back. Cardassians would try knocking out your support first (ie, ignore tacticals, dropping Science or Engineering officers first). Different groups, different tactics, right?

But then the game will definitely get more difficult, and in a way not everyone would enjoy.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Career Officer
# 6 lol
10-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:

I love your post !!! It gave me a nice smile before the start of my work.
Captain
# 7
10-21-2012, 07:37 PM
You should only be allowed to switch out ship
Gear at a shipyard

That's the problem

It should be costly too
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Career Officer
# 8
10-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
You should only be allowed to switch out ship
Gear at a shipyard

That's the problem

It should be costly too
Which, again, would be an interesting, sensible change, but I think it would alienate too many players. Very much a hardcore thing, methinks, with hardcore appeal. Maybe at higher difficulty levels, but not for a default.
Career Officer
# 9
10-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbomberdavid View Post
I love your post !!! It gave me a nice smile before the start of my work.
Have a great day at work!

I was having some flashbacks to my old FPS playing days. The old Terminator: Skynet game during the late '90s? There was like 16 different guns you could have. It was insane! >_<
Career Officer
# 10
10-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Have a great day at work! :D

I was having some flashbacks to my old FPS playing days. The old Terminator: Skynet game during the late '90s? There was like 16 different guns you could have. It was insane! >_<
Hate to burst your bubble, but it's what EVE does already (that's EVE, the Online game, not EVE, the white little robot from WALL-E). And it's not insane: with 4 different races to tank and fit for differently, and like 5 or so pirate factions (forgot the exact number) to boot, before embarking on a mission you kinda had to know what to use and tank for. Yet it felt quite natural. When I came to STO, however, couldn't believe all you're really fitting for is your favorite color beams. :P