Lieutenant
# 1 OR gate
04-14-2013, 04:33 AM
I'm working on a mission with a major choice in it. Whether the player picks A or B changes the path they take significantly. I have that working fine with doors appearing or disapearing to block the other route, and so the story changes for the rest of the level. The issue I have is that I want to make sure the player does choose A or B before proceeding. The method I had in mind was to tie each choice (an interactable invisible object) to a dialogue prompt, and have a locked/unlocked door linked to change state when the dialogue for A OR B is completed. The problem is that this is now acting as an AND choice... I always thought the "dialogue prompt" was an OR selector.

Is there any way to make it OR? Or any other ways around this problem? If not I can just leave it, give the player the option to make neither choice, and work around that.

Click for more details
Captain
# 2
04-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by remairtamec View Post
I'm working on a mission with a major choice in it. Whether the player picks A or B changes the path they take significantly. I have that working fine with doors appearing or disapearing to block the other route, and so the story changes for the rest of the level. The issue I have is that I want to make sure the player does choose A or B before proceeding. The method I had in mind was to tie each choice (an interactable invisible object) to a dialogue prompt, and have a locked/unlocked door linked to change state when the dialogue for A OR B is completed. The problem is that this is now acting as an AND choice... I always thought the "dialogue prompt" was an OR selector.

Is there any way to make it OR? Or any other ways around this problem? If not I can just leave it, give the player the option to make neither choice, and work around that.
Afraid not. I already lost a good mission to the problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
04-14-2013, 06:18 AM
The only two OR state transitions are Objective Complete and Component Reached (and maybe Objective in Progress, but I haven't tested this.) That said, you should be able to restructure this to work for you though.

So for the moment lets assume that none of this is tied to the story flow. It should go something like this:
  1. You have two interactable objects. Each is set to disappear if the other is used. (So only one choice is made.)
  2. Both ways forward start with the doors locked.
  3. If one of the objects is interacted with, the corresponding door disappears/is replaced with a working version.
  4. At this point the other way is still blocked and its trigger object has disappeared preventing that route from being taken.

Since both doors are locked from the beginning, one of the two triggers must be used, but using one of them prevents the use of the other.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 4
04-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
The only two OR state transitions are Objective Complete and Component Reached (and maybe Objective in Progress, but I haven't tested this.) That said, you should be able to restructure this to work for you though.

So for the moment lets assume that none of this is tied to the story flow. It should go something like this:
  1. You have two interactable objects. Each is set to disappear if the other is used. (So only one choice is made.)
  2. Both ways forward start with the doors locked.
  3. If one of the objects is interacted with, the corresponding door disappears/is replaced with a working version.
  4. At this point the other way is still blocked and its trigger object has disappeared preventing that route from being taken.

Since both doors are locked from the beginning, one of the two triggers must be used, but using one of them prevents the use of the other.
That -is- a way to work around it... I did it myself in a mission, too. Admittedly, for another purpose, but...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-14-2013, 09:08 AM
So, you have 2 paths A-B, blocked by object A and object B.

You have one single Map dialog through which, the player decides on the route.

At one point, the dialog give the player the question: Where to?
With dialog options
Route A
Route B

You decide.

You have the appropriate reply in the next Dialog prompt .

Nice. Now make this
Blocking Object A
Spawns: Whenever
Disappears: Dialog prompt reached, "You selected Route A..."

Blocking Object B
Spawns: Whenever
Disappears: Dialog prompt reached, "You selected Route B..."

Branched Map Dialogs and Dialog prompt reached is the seamless answer to your question about Branched storyline. Oh and yes, you start with locked doors and blocked paths, otherwise people will break your mission by simply disregarding triggers.

Last edited by pendra3780; 04-14-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
04-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Foundry, in terms of objectives are extremely linear.

It's only with triggers that you can create the appearance of divergence and optionality.

Invisible objects and map object dialogues are your friends in this.