Career Officer
# 21
10-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73
If you are playing a video game to earn "exclusive" gear so you can pimp it on ESD and show it off to the new players who haven't "earned" it, you have bigger issues that what they choose to call the new system.

Perspective. Some people have it, and others play video games to look cool.

The new system, whatever they want to call it, is much improved over the old. No one will now have to run 100's of elite STFs (ground or space) and feel ripped off when they do not get a super-rare propotype drop for a single piece of mk XII maco or omega gear.

That is a huge improvement over the current system. Sorry it doesn't stroke the ego of those of you who are into lording your "accomplishments" over the newbs, but for everyone else, its a big improvement.
Total, absolute, and unequivocal agreement with boglejam. I honestly lost count of the Space STF's I ran with my Nausicaan Tac (somewhere around 73) and NEVER saw ONE Prototype drop. And don't get me started on the Ground ones.

Those of you who are harping about the "sense of accomplishment" are forgetting that many have probably played more STF's than you and I both put together, and, through sheer bad luck, don't have any fancy gear AT ALL.

This gives everyone a fair chance. So what if some people like Space better than Ground? So what if "N00BZ" can get the same gear? It also means that those of us who get shafted by the Random Drops now get a fair shot at this stuff, too.

To say nothing of the fact that opposers just wanting to flaunt themselves over the new guys is just ridiculous.

And finally, for those who refuse to see my reasoning, remember that there's apparently an "exclusive" costume unlock for those who manage to get all the Elite STF Optionals done. So there. You get something that is still available only through hard work (albeit much more reasonable hard work), and everyone else still gets a fair shot at the shinies.

Last edited by husnock1; 10-22-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Career Officer
# 22
10-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
If you are playing a video game to earn "exclusive" gear so you can pimp it on ESD and show it off to the new players who haven't "earned" it, you have bigger issues that what they choose to call the new system.

Perspective. Some people have it, and others play video games to look cool.

The new system, whatever they want to call it, is much improved over the old. No one will now have to run 100's of elite STFs (ground or space) and feel ripped off when they do not get a super-rare propotype drop for a single piece of mk XII maco or omega gear.

That is a huge improvement over the current system. Sorry it doesn't stroke the ego of those of you who are into lording your "accomplishments" over the newbs, but for everyone else, its a big improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by husnock1 View Post
Total, absolute, and unequivocal agreement with boglejam. I honestly lost count of the Space STF's I ran with my Nausicaan Tac (somewhere around 73) and NEVER saw ONE Prototype drop. And don't get me started on the Ground ones.

Those of you who are harping about the "sense of accomplishment" are forgetting that many have probably played more STF's than you and I both put together, and, through sheer bad luck, don't have any fancy gear AT ALL.

This gives everyone a fair chance. So what if some people like Space better than Ground? So what if "N00BZ" can get the same gear? It also means that those of us who get shafted by the Random Drops now get a fair shot at this stuff, too.

To say nothing of the fact that opposers just wanting to flaunt themselves over the new guys is just ridiculous.

And finally, for those who refuse to see my reasoning, remember that there's apparently an "exclusive" costume unlock for those who manage to get all the Elite STF Optionals done. So there. You get something that is still available only through hard work (albeit much more reasonable hard work), and everyone else still gets a fair shot at the shinies.
I am in agreement with both of these guys...

Close to 800 Elites spread on 3 toons and not one complete Mk12 ground or space set....
Captain
# 23
10-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakes7tvseries View Post
Is the new Reputation really just a ?Feel Good? system, that will misrepresent a players real accomplishments..
From what I understand you can do Space or Ground missions and use the Omega or Romulan marks to purchase equipment.
What this means is a space or ground only players can purchase a MKII Ground or Space set without ever doing a single ground or space mission.

From what I can tell ?Elite Marks? will be given out and are needed to purchase MKII Gear.
There really should be two kinds of Elite Marks GROUND and SPACE.

WHY
1. This will represent a players true reputation and not promote a lie.
2. Cryptic is introducing more of a grind type system would this not increase a players time if you had to do both.

Lets be more like Star Trek rather than just feeling good about lies.

Taking a quote from vestereng

The complaint here is only that the system is called reputation and the implication of that is respect for accomplishments.
Since you never accomplished anything on the ground or space you shouldn't get the respect or the reputation for something you virtually are incapable of or havent done.

You know how much u care about this?

|-|

That much.

Seriously though, it's beyond trivial
Career Officer
# 24
10-22-2012, 01:36 PM
The new system is an improvement, compared to the old system, but the cost that are involved is absurd, special when you have to do it on every character, and I have 12 of them.
T6 Miranda and T6 Oberth FTW!
Career Officer
# 25
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
lol
But as I said people un-deserving of the sets are wearing them already so what else is new.
Comments like the above just make me go This is a game, first and foremost. Seriously, what makes one player any more or less 'deserving' of gear as long as they've meet the game designer's requirements for getting it.

I also will never understand why other people care what other players get gear wise; (as long as it wasn't via some major game exploit.)

Yep, I guess I'll never understand the 'e-peen' mentality. (Hell, given the amount of players who wish STO were more a 25th century Star Trek simulator then a game per se - where are the people claiming Star Fleet Command should be giving you the best gear prior to going on dangerous missions, as, hell, you are trying to save the Federation and the Galaxy,)
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
# 26
10-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Comments like the above just make me go This is a game, first and foremost. Seriously, what makes one player any more or less 'deserving' of gear as long as they've meet the game designer's requirements for getting it.

I also will never understand why other people care what other players get gear wise; (as long as it wasn't via some major game exploit.)

Yep, I guess I'll never understand the 'e-peen' mentality. (Hell, given the amount of players who wish STO were more a 25th century Star Trek simulator then a game per se - where are the people claiming Star Fleet Command should be giving you the best gear prior to going on dangerous missions, as, hell, you are trying to save the Federation and the Galaxy,)
I know, I do not quite get it either.
Starfleet Veteran
# 27
10-22-2012, 02:02 PM
I get it. I call it the "I'm-a-unique-and-special-snowflake-that-is-better-than-you" syndrome.

Generally, the symptoms are falsely believing you have "earned" something thru skill that is actually earned thru repitition and being lucky on prototype drops. The final stages of the syndrome involve putting on the "earned" items and hanging out in a social zone, believing that it causes other players to look up to you as some sort of uber-gamer.

Treatments are available, but are often shunned because of the percieved loss of prestige related to the "earned" items being obtainable thru other methods.

Or, the short version: lack or perspective is a mofo.
Career Officer
# 28
10-22-2012, 02:20 PM
You really think it's a good idea that you can obtain all the rewards by just running the same stf over and over? Think about it, doesn't give much of a reason to play the other STF's when you can just grind ISE and get every pinnacle reward in the game. The new system marginalizes the harder STF's, marginlizes the rewards, while offering no new ones in return.
Republic Veteran
# 29 WoW My Thread Got High Jacked
10-22-2012, 02:21 PM
This thread was not about drops or restrictions

It had two points
1. The truth / your reputation should refect your actions so its honest.
2. Fact a Elite Mark(s) will be given out for every succesfull Elite STF you finish.

These Elite Marks should have two flavors Space and Ground.
So you have to run X amount space or ground missions to buy space or ground gear.

All Im saying
1. You should have to do ground missions to buy ground gear.
2. You should have to do space missions to buy space gear.

What I see happening is people playing Infected Space X amount of times and the buying both Space and Ground Gear.

These same people will show off and brag about their Space or Ground gear.
This will not in anyway refect the truth about their reputation.

So is the Reputation a "feel good get all my gear system" that doesnt refect the truth.
Should a reputation system reflect a players actions and the truth.

Either way you can still get both Ground and Space.
All Im saying is the reputation should make you do both or its a LIE!!
Career Officer
# 30
10-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Regardless of what the OP thinks on this...

what is the quickest STF?

We all know it's ISE, followed by CSE and KASE. All space missions... the truth is people will simply not bother with ground, well except us few who enjoy them. Most people try to avoid ground anyway they can as it is already.

I think what we will see is no one really doing grounds anymore.