Career Officer
# 21
11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
I guess my take is that in the Kingdom Hearts model, highly customizable BOffs are your "Donald" and "Goofy."

Whereas guest star BOffs would be more like your "Simba" and "Ariel." And even then, I'd look at adding some customization.

For example: Joshua Riker would have preset face and body sliders but would get a full range of off duty uniforms, like what KDF Marauding BOs are supposed to get. Miral Paris would get any Starfleet uniform you have unlocked. The face, body, and name are locked. Maybe make them orange quality "legendary" BOs. Maybe six traits including one that lets you launch a dialogue with them and one that influences a key mission involving them. (So, for example, when you play the "Badlands" mission with Joshua Riker, the cage portions all auto-complete.

I'd look at retrofitting some BOs into this system like the Khitomer Accord Borg. (Maybe allow Borg BOs to be used in Borg STFs?)
Lieutenant
# 22
12-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Legendary Boffs!

Intresting idea, maybe two different concepts here. A character for use in missions for foundry/devs. And a collectible boff system.
Super Moderator
# 23
12-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Should this thread be moved to the Foundry discussion forum?

I would just do it, but the proposal includes a temporary BO that the devs can add to their missions as well. Depending on how the conversation goes, it might still be moved.

Would someone like to champion the concept of a "Guest Star" for Dev missions and explain why this is a good idea?

I understand that some people don't like the idea of being forced to take along a BO they didn't set up themselves. Would someone like to explain why the benefit outweighs this downside?

I would also point out that adding such a feature to the Foundry would require that the Foundry add a BO creator UI, so that the BO can be given appropriate skills and equipment in addition to being costumed. I really like the idea, but it's definitely non-trivial. Right now Foundry authors can't select equipment for NPC's, which would also be a good thing. But all of that gear would have to be made available somehow, unless you decide that they automatically get a set of faction-standard gear.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Rihannsu
# 24
12-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Sounds like someone was inspired by Mass Effect 3's temporary squadmates.