Career Officer
Yes, Star Wars had the Death Star and could blow up planets willy-nilly. But I always considered Trek a bit more 'realistic'. (It's in quotes, get off my back about true realistic-ness).

Blowing up a planet takes alot of work. As I fly around the STO galaxy I'm seeing way to many planets in pieces. Other than attacks by the Doomsday Machine and JJ Abrams, Trek has not been big on planetary kabooms. So can we cut out the large numbers of broken planets we seem to have floating around? I know it makes a cool background for space vistas but enough is enough.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
10-22-2012, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't expect they were all blown up maliciously. I figured many of them were due to interstellar collisions (asteroids, moons degrading orbits, etc.)
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Empire Veteran
# 3
10-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I wouldn't expect they were all blown up maliciously. I figured many of them were due to interstellar collisions (asteroids, moons degrading orbits, etc.)
I know how it happened there were these bird of preys the size of a whole planetary system that launched a hargh'peng.
Career Officer
# 4
10-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Don't forget, both the Undine (formerly Species 8472) and the Borg have the power to destroy planets, as they demonstrated (or eluded to, in the case of the Borg) in Voyager. Not to mention through out Star Trek, Star Fleet vessels have help prevent stellar bodies from destroying world by deflecting them, this ranges from asteroids, weapons, experiments gone horribly wrong to rogue stars and stellar phenomenon (singularities or the likes). While present day (24th century) Klingons only can destroy say the atmosphere of a planet, whats to say they don't work on technologies to help them develop Doomsday device like weapons, like say the Lotus or the Javelin on a larger scale to do a lot more damage. With Redmatter you can create a black hole (singularity) in the core of a planet and Dr. Soran uses trilithium to blow up 2 stars. Also note the Q civil war caused numerous Super Novas. The Star Trek universe is a very dangerous place.
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?
Captain
# 5
10-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Maybe you can't fire a weapon and blow up a planet, but it would be relatively easy to use tractor beams and controlled explosions to throw one planet at another.

Heck, WE can do that now with enough math and explosives.
Career Officer
# 6
10-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracounguis View Post
Yes, Star Wars had the Death Star and could blow up planets willy-nilly. But I always considered Trek a bit more 'realistic'. (It's in quotes, get off my back about true realistic-ness).
You seem to forget that the Trek universe has automated planet killers that do just that. In fact there is one in this very game.
Captain
# 7
10-23-2012, 02:03 AM
TNG had an episode dealing specifically with the destruction of multiple planets, which turned out to be caused by "natural causes". Rather than obeying the Prime Directive (of non-interference), the Enterprise-D intervened and managed to prevent further planets from being destroyed.

Episode called 'Pen Pals' if memory serves me (season 2).
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
10-23-2012, 05:07 AM
A lot of them are in Romulan space where the Hobus supernova took out a bunch of planets including Romulus before Spock could stop it with the Red Matter.
Captain
# 9
10-23-2012, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Yeah, but shattered planets would very quickly collapse again into a single mass by their own gravity instead of hanging there forever. There's a reason planets and stars (and moons above a certain size) are spheres and not half-spheres or other weird shapes.
Career Officer
# 10
10-23-2012, 05:17 AM
not to mention all the planets where they tried to divide by 0...