Career Officer
# 11
10-23-2012, 05:55 AM
i agree with the OP

it feels like there were a fleet of doomsday machines eating their way through federation space.

or like the Xindi went wild with their destroy earth ENT Season 3 ...deathballs

also that Hobus System... mmmh i hate to brake it to ya'll but if that was the origin of the Hobus Hyperspace Nova... there would be nothing left of that system to play a STO mission in... *brains off, enjoy low gravity map and blowing up warbirds*
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
10-23-2012, 06:06 AM
That depends think...

I am not an expert, but isn't the most dangerous part of a supernova the high energy gamma bursts that get ejected from the collapsing star poles or am I confusing that with another phenomenon?

if not, those bursts are very directional and would leave the planets relatively intact on the systems plane...

So if one assumes that the gammay ray bursts were what destroyed Romulus (which is in fact capable of traveling several light years, just not within a few hours or days) the rest of teh systems devastation could be acounted for by a more harmless shockwave of a more kinetic nature limited to the system.
Career Officer
# 13
10-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I wouldn't expect they were all blown up maliciously. I figured many of them were due to interstellar collisions (asteroids, moons degrading orbits, etc.)
But that's not how it works. You could split a planet in half, but the 2 chunks are still gravitationally bound to each other. They'd very quickly recombine. To actually get a blown up planet look, you would have to move the chunks far enough away from the rest of the planet such that remaining planet is no longer the dominant gravity well. That takes ludicrous amounts of energy.

You just won't see that happening. Even giant planet to planet collisions don't do that. They just form systems similar to the Earth-Moon system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
also that Hobus System... mmmh i hate to brake it to ya'll but if that was the origin of the Hobus Hyperspace Nova... there would be nothing left of that system to play a STO mission in... *brains off, enjoy low gravity map and blowing up warbirds*
To be honest, if a supernova dozens of light years away from Romulus managed to destroy Romulus, there shouldn't be a sector there. If its got enough power to destroy a planet say 60 light years away, everything under 60 light years away should be gone too.

Last edited by atatassault; 10-23-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Captain
# 14
10-23-2012, 06:18 AM
Quote:
I wouldn't expect they were all blown up maliciously. I figured many of them were due to interstellar collisions (asteroids, moons degrading orbits, etc.)
This.

Space is a dangerous place. There are asteroid impacts, gamma ray bursts, black holes, supernovae, chaotic space, Undine attacks, and interstellar wars all over the place. It's conceivable that some of these might be responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
Yeah, but shattered planets would very quickly collapse again into a single mass by their own gravity instead of hanging there forever. There's a reason planets and stars (and moons above a certain size) are spheres and not half-spheres or other weird shapes.
I thought that takes thousands of years?
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 15
10-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
That depends think...

I am not an expert, but isn't the most dangerous part of a supernova the high energy gamma bursts that get ejected from the collapsing star poles or am I confusing that with another phenomenon?

if not, those bursts are very directional and would leave the planets relatively intact on the systems plane...

So if one assumes that the gammay ray bursts were what destroyed Romulus (which is in fact capable of traveling several light years, just not within a few hours or days) the rest of teh systems devastation could be acounted for by a more harmless shockwave of a more kinetic nature limited to the system.
Not an expert either, but Novas (and of course also their bigger cousins Supernovas) are basically the process of loosing outer gas layers of the star that is decaying (while the rest of the star collapses in very dense dwarf star or a black hole). That gas then travels at high speeds, very far, sometimes creating lovely shapes we see in nebulas.

So in the process, most existing planets (at least those revolving closer to the star, ie. not planets beyond Uranus, Neptune in Sol) would probably be vaporized or ejected from the star system. The remaining planets would still have their orbits greatly altered.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!

Last edited by toiva; 10-23-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Adding more info.
Career Officer
# 16
10-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
That depends think...

Supernovae are the result of the star shedding its entire outer layer(s). The explosion is omnidirectional. And the resulting ejection of mass is traveling at a significant fraction of c. This is how some nebulae, which are many light years large, form.

But what happening in ST 2009 wasn't a supernovae. It was idiotic director/"creative writer" nonsense magic.

Last edited by atatassault; 10-23-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Career Officer
# 17
10-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I thought that takes thousands of years?
No. Think about how long it took that Felix B...something guy to reach the ground. Now imagine 2 halves of a planet being forced say, 2000 km from each other. They get to a point where the impulse of whatever split them is completely canceled out by the gravity between the 2 chunks, and the 2 chunks then go into a freefall back towards each other. It'll probably be a few hours at most before the planet is whole again.
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
10-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Ok.. what was that gamma ray burst thing, then?

Edit: Was thinking of this thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuKS8...eature=related

Last edited by timelord79; 10-23-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Career Officer
# 19
10-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Quote:
I don't know, that original Doomsday Machine destroyed by Kirk probably was flying around killing planets thousands of years ago.
Career Officer
# 20
10-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Stellar core fragments, planetary collisions, roaming planet-munchers, Q's holding their farts too long, and there's always the possibility of past civilizations. History didn't start a thousand years ago. There have been past civilizations, some of those might've been more advanced, and pulled a Praxis, or were simply more aggressive. There's no reason the Iconians couldn't have gotten tired of looking at some of the upstart species of their time. (Then again, they let the Talaxians live, so really... They were saints.)

Of course, if it was really long ago, a lot of these damaged planets probably would've gradually reformed themselves as intact, smaller planets under the force of their own gravity, and asteroids sandblasting the edges off and filling in the potholes.
Reave

Last edited by hrisvalar; 10-23-2012 at 07:57 AM.