Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 735
# 1 Is AMSing OK?
10-23-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm in a bit of an ethical dilemma here... I was under the impression that using AMS was a tasteless tactic. Especially if used by a premade. Am I right?

This came up after OmegaXIII faced a premade last night (i don't want to talk bad about another team, so let's just call them NC), where one ship used an AMS console.

Now I have led my fleet to believe that using AMS is poor taste, so they all keep their AMS consoles in the inventory, reserving them for PvE use. We don't react to PUGs AMSing us, because they may be ignorant of how it ruins a good match. When NC AMSd us, however, we got a bit disappointed... We did not, however, pull out our own AMS devices, as we felt noone would benefit from it.

After the match, i threw out in zone "Be cool, don't AMS", and got quite a surprising feedback from one NC member through PMs. He claimed WE were the ones spamming SS, and that was worse. Now I know for a fact that we had one copy of low-specced SS1 on our team, and responded that it was hardly spammable. Then I got told that using one weak SS1 was a greater offence than using a AMS console, because it has shorter CD... Is this right?

Finally, and this is where I really started to suspect that WE might not be the problem, I was told we were a team of spammers. To illuminate this, I'll give you our team setup in that match:
- 1 tac in cannon/torp escort
- 1 tac in cannon/beam escort
- 1 engi in a recluse.
- 2 scis in sciships, not running the same abilities as each other.

So this was our "spam-team", my question is therefore; is it possible to spam someone with this setup?

But back to my main ethical dilemma. Is it OK for a premade to use AMS? And is it OK for a premade to use SS?

Last edited by dassemsto; 10-23-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,011
# 2
10-23-2012, 02:55 AM
Personally, I have no problem with consoles like AMS. They are part of the game, it is entirely okay to use them. People who got them spent effort for that, so why not let them use them?

That is, in the queues. Of course, in private matches, one can set any rules one wants, so I guess people who would like to ban item A or item B might want to try that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 663
# 3
10-23-2012, 02:59 AM
In principle im against payed stuff cause it upsets game balance. But they are unfortuantly here to stay, and AMS in just a new nusiance and easy to deal with.
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 217
# 4
10-23-2012, 03:00 AM
I think AMS is more of a "cheese" ability and that's why it is hated. As for SS, I believe it is broken at the moment. If someone dies while scrambled, they respawn with a bug which disables all of your weapons.

Need help with PVP? Check this thread out!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 735
# 5
10-23-2012, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tick0 View Post
I think AMS is more of a "cheese" ability and that's why it is hated. As for SS, I believe it is broken at the moment. If someone dies while scrambled, they respawn with a bug which disables all of your weapons.
Really? That WOULD be OP!

As for AMS, if we're told it's "perfectly ok" to use it, we may start showing up with 5 AMS consoles.... Imagine two teams with 5 AMS consoles each... They'll be lucky to ever see each other at all... It wouldn't give an advantage at anyone, but would make the game unplayable... :/
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,685
# 6
10-23-2012, 03:11 AM
I recently started using AMS after I kept getting AMSed by players in queues.

It's fine really: 20 second immunity and a long assed cooldown too for the power too.

And if you want to get a long duration for it you have to spec into that expensive power and/or bring consoles for it.

Also Scramble Sensors messes up your tray by denying you access to it. I had to logout and back in in a match I was in after getting scrambled. Meh.

Personally I find teams running VM + systems engineers more annoying.

I was playing against a premade as a pug healer and I literally was being disabled like every 8 seconds or so.

Since Eng Team doesn't clear that additional proc apparently, it kept being applied.

We were doing well against them, but then they started running that on me and we lost the thread very easily after that. That's fine, but on an annoyance scale VM + systems engineers is way worse.


Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.

Last edited by snoge00f; 10-23-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 217
# 7
10-23-2012, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
I recently started using AMS after I kept getting AMSed by players in queues.

It's fine really: 20 second immunity and a long assed cooldown too for the power too.

And if you want to get a long duration for it you have to spec into that expensive power and/or bring consoles for it.

Also Scramble Sensors messes up your tray by denying you access to it. I had to logout and back in in a match I was in after getting scrambled. Meh.

Personally I find teams running VM + systems engineers more annoying.

I was playing against a premade as a pug healer and I literally was being disabled like every 8 seconds or so.

Since Eng Team doesn't clear that additional proc apparently, it kept being applied.

We were doing well against them, but then they started running that on me and we lost the thread very easily after that. That's fine, but on an annoyance scale VM + systems engineers is way worse.
It's all DOffs. They've either made things overpowered or made previously useless abilities OK. :/

Need help with PVP? Check this thread out!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 8
10-23-2012, 03:27 AM
E.T. AMS home!!!!



AMS is easily cleared by Sci team, and it uses a precious slot which you can only activate every 2? Minutes?

Useless imo. I dont get the QQn about AMS. Id rather stick some extra resistance in.

Resist!
Resist today!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 217
# 9
10-23-2012, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dassemsto View Post
As for AMS, if we're told it's "perfectly ok" to use it, we may start showing up with 5 AMS consoles.... Imagine two teams with 5 AMS consoles each... They'll be lucky to ever see each other at all... It wouldn't give an advantage at anyone, but would make the game unplayable... :/
I guess it just comes down to what the two teams agree upon. The last premade vs premade I was in was with Critz who fought Turkish RP Heroes, and, if I recall correctly, the rules were no P2W consoles at Tier 4 and below (an exception is Subspace Jump), no SS and no Tric mines.

Need help with PVP? Check this thread out!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 735
# 10
10-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tick0 View Post
I guess it just comes down to what the two teams agree upon. The last premade vs premade I was in was with Critz who fought Turkish RP Heroes, and, if I recall correctly, the rules were no P2W consoles at Tier 4 and below (an exception is Subspace Jump), no SS and no Tric mines.
oh, i should have mentioned. We're usually in the open Arena queues. We're very new at PvPing as a team and don't feel cofident enough to take on any serious premades yet.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43 AM.