Lieutenant
# 1 Re-Name Ranks
10-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Okay, so I was thinking: does it really make sense that there are thousands of Vice Admirals in Starfleet when we know of fewer than 10 "full" Admirals. It doesn't add up. Starfleet's command structure must be in serious trouble. Instead, the progression should be this: Ensign - Lieutenant Jr. Grade - Lieutenant Senior Grade - Lieutenant Commander - Commander - Captain. Make everyone Captains. This also helps make sense of the fact that NPC "Captains" can order us around .

Then, when Cryptic deems it prudent to raise the level cap, then we can begin moving toward RAs.
Republic Veteran
# 2
10-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Woah, I just had a flashback to 2010!

Long mentioned complaint.

This is one of those things where "it's a game" trumps canon.

The game needed a ranking system and so they decided to take inspiration from Star Trek.

Though, as I have mentioned a hundred times, they could solve this little problem by allowing us combat pets. Then my admiral ranks would mean something.

As for the too many admirals, I did the math about 18 months ago. The VA to Federation population ratio is actually still lower than the flag officer to US population ratio. So, proportionally, the Federation is actually lagging behind.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.

Last edited by commadorebob; 10-24-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Lieutenant
# 3
10-25-2012, 11:11 AM
I stil think that having a lot of Captains makes more sense. It wouldn't change gameplay at all, it's just a title.
Career Officer
# 4
10-25-2012, 11:15 AM
It would also be nice if the Klingons got a different rank system.
We know they have Colonels and Generals, why not give them an army-based rank sytem?
There's still a captain in it for those who'd want to use that title.
Career Officer
# 5
10-25-2012, 11:38 AM
I pushed for this change a long time ago. But regardless of how much sense it makes to re-do the ranks, it will never happen. If it is ever seriously considered, as soon as the change hits Tribble players you never knew existed will suddenly start crying foul saying Cryptic is taking something away that they earned.

For what it's worth, I completely agree with you in regards to the ratio of admirals to captains. But the one criticism I have is proposal is to open up RA in the future. This, in essence, leads you right back to the same problem, just delaying it for a while. If you want to fix it, you have to produce a solution that will always maintain a healthy ranking ratio.
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Captain
# 6
10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashlmaru View Post
I pushed for this change a long time ago. But regardless of how much sense it makes to re-do the ranks, it will never happen. If it is ever seriously considered, as soon as the change hits Tribble players you never knew existed will suddenly start crying foul saying Cryptic is taking something away that they earned.

For what it's worth, I completely agree with you in regards to the ratio of admirals to captains. But the one criticism I have is proposal is to open up RA in the future. This, in essence, leads you right back to the same problem, just delaying it for a while. If you want to fix it, you have to produce a solution that will always maintain a healthy ranking ratio.
For God's sake, the ranking system is actually one of the things isn't bugged. Can't we fixed the bugged gameplay issues first?
Career Officer
# 7
10-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Career Officer
# 8
10-25-2012, 12:18 PM
I have to agree that we should have capped at Captain. All Canon shows revolve around the Captain and their ship (or base in the case of DS9).

Admiral's command Fleets of ships. So I suppose there is a case to make an Admiral Rank for fleet leaders and officers (i've seen this idea floated a few times).

But, this idea should have been put in place during Beta... they are already talking about a skill cap increase, and new rank (to full Admiral). I'm sure eventually we'll get to be Fleet Admirals, and President of the Federation.

The "Rank" is pretty meaningless in the long run... so nod to Whamhammer's post above... let's focus on fixing things that are broke, bugs, and giving us more to do... I'd rather see that then a new rank, skill point increase (that will take 2 days to max out again).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Rihannsu
# 9
10-25-2012, 03:00 PM
From the perspective of the storyline in STO, there is only one single VA/LG - your logged in character of the moment. No other player character ever interferes or influences your story line missions.

So what then does the rank of any other player character in the game have to do with the rank of your player character?
Captain
# 10
10-25-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm still of the option that ranks and levels should be decoupled altogether:

• Levels are used to gauge when a player has become experienced enough to get into a game zone / episode mission. This allows for Level numbers to continue ad inifinitium for new content that Cryptic releases e.g. L60 for a potential Delta Quadrant FE series.

• Ranks should simply be titles earned as a milestone. The player can change their publicly acknowledged rank (i.e the rank NPCs address you as) to any they have already earned at any time.

If this update was to be rolled out on Tribble, the idea is that L50 players won't suddenly all get forced demotions; rather, they'd be now allowed to specify the rank title they want to be addressed as whilst still being L50 players.

The game as it currently stands does you to pick an earned rank from a list of titles - all that is needed is for the chosen rank to be publicly addressed by NPCs and displayed in player infoboxes.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots