Lt. Commander
Hello,

I was using the new Odyssey class ship and I am using the same weapon setup as I had with my Galaxy Class Retrofit. I would like to be more effective in STFs, so please let me know of a layout that works for you. I use Antiprotons although I am trained in phasers. Also, would you suggest I use my Galaxy Class Retrofit again or the Odyssey? I am an Starfleet Engineer.

Setup:

Fore:
1. Antiproton Beam Bank Mk XI [BORG]
2. Antiproton Beam Bank Mk XI [BORG]
3. Quantum Torpedoes Mk XI
4. Tricobalt Device Mk Xi

Aft:
1. Phaser Beam Array Mk X
2. Phaser Beam Array Mk X
3. Transphasic Torpedoes Mk X
4. Phaser Beam Array Mk X

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2012, 02:22 PM
The Odyssey isn't a retrofit...

Weapons layout looks fine to me for either ship.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data_the_Genius
Hello,

I was using the new Odyssey class ship and I am using the same weapon setup as I had with my Galaxy Class Retrofit. I would like to be more effective in STFs, so please let me know of a layout that works for you. I use Antiprotons although I am trained in phasers. Also, would you suggest I use my Galaxy Class Retrofit again or the Odyssey? I am an Starfleet Engineer.

Setup:

Fore:

Aft:

Thanks!
Why are you using multiple types of torpedoes and energy weapons? This is an inefficient use of an already inefficient ship when you only have two tactical consoles. (If using the Odyssey...)

I'd switch to either Phasers or Antiprotons entirely, and do the same with the Quantums or Transphasics. It's also a waste of firepower to have more than one torpedo forward, as you're sacrificing a significant portion of broadside firepower, which is where both ship's main strength lies.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data_the_Genius
Hello,

Setup:

Fore:

Aft:

Thanks!
I honestly think you should only have 1 torpedo per weapon row(1 for fore, 1 for aft) because they share a cooldown timer, and because you want as many phasers as possible to help take down enemy shields. If I where you I would keep the Quantum and Transphasic Torpedo launchers and get rid of the Tricobalt Launchers because Tricobalt are very sluggish.

As for the phasers, Federation phasers are usually good and effective( I should probably use them more often), and I assume that Borg weapons are good, right?(never had any Borg weaponry on my ship, but plan on getting some).

I would stick with whichever one is more effective in combat situations.

My Layout:
Fore:
Quantum Torpedoes Mark XI [CrtH]
Polaron Beam Array Mark VIII
Dual Tetryon Beam Bank XI
Phaser Cannon Mark XI

Aft:
Polaron Beam Array Mark XI
Teryon Beam Array Mark X [CrtH]
Chroniton Torpedoes Mark X [CrtH]
Phaser Beam Array Mark X

Any suggestions, because I want to change it, but I don't know anything goo to change it with. If it helps I'm currently using my Sovereign Assault Cruiser and the Odyssey Cruiser.

P.S. How did you get transphasic torpedoes because I can't find them anywhere, and are they worth it?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian124 View Post
I honestly think you should only have 1 torpedo per weapon row(1 for fore, 1 for aft) because they share a cooldown timer, and because you want as many phasers as possible to help take down enemy shields. If I where you I would keep the Quantum and Transphasic Torpedo launchers and get rid of the Tricobalt Launchers because Tricobalt are very sluggish.

As for the phasers, Federation phasers are usually good and effective( I should probably use them more often), and I assume that Borg weapons are good, right?(never had any Borg weaponry on my ship, but plan on getting some).

I would stick with whichever one is more effective in combat situations.

My Layout:
Fore:
Quantum Torpedoes Mark XI [CrtH]
Polaron Beam Array Mark VIII
Dual Tetryon Beam Bank XI
Phaser Cannon Mark XI

Aft:
Polaron Beam Array Mark XI
Teryon Beam Array Mark X [CrtH]
Chroniton Torpedoes Mark X [CrtH]
Phaser Beam Array Mark X

Any suggestions, because I want to change it, but I don't know anything goo to change it with. If it helps I'm currently using my Sovereign Assault Cruiser and the Odyssey Cruiser.

P.S. How did you get transphasic torpedoes because I can't find them anywhere, and are they worth it?
Ehmm...

I say this respectfully, of course, and I don't wish to rain on anyone's parade, but I find this advice to be... a little short of wise.

As previously stated - Why would you use more than one energy type? There is absolutely no benefit, as the best tactical consoles only grant bonuses to specific energy types (A Phaser Relay MkXI does absolutely nothing for your Polaron weapons.)

Pick the Proc that best suits your play style. A full list can be found here:

http://www.stowiki.org/Damage_type

Not to mention the odds of actually proccing are substantially lower when you are 'rolling less dice'. 6 Phasers have a much better chance of scoring that Subsystem hit than 2 phasers and 4 other randoms.

...Second point...

Tricobalts? Sluggish?
I'm not quite sure where you got that idea. Subsequent to Season 4, all torpedoes have the same flight speed - making Tricobalts, if anything, one of the best possible choices due to the completely absurd damage they deal. (You clearly haven't played much PVP, because they are a very popular choice)

About the only part of your comment I would agree with is dumping the other torpedoes and running a single type - Either Tricobalt, Transphasic or Quantum, and no more than one of them.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Tricos sluggish?

Wow... I lol'd.

Be serious, so I know how to tell your jokes from your actual advice please. It's hard to tell atm.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-06-2012, 11:53 AM
I ran 2 anti-protons, and 5 phaser beams before(and a foreward torpedo). Right now I'm kinda in a in-between stage of upgrading/setting up my weapons. Might end up using a similar set-up, or 1 anti-proton and 6 phasers.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-30-2012, 09:44 AM
What the hell have you been smoking? Tricobalts do the most damage, but only after you have disabled your enemies shields. With the shields still up, they do absolutely no damage. Every other torpodeo manages to get some damage through the shields to the hull. Transphasics are by far the best, because they phase through the shields and strike the hull directly. Tricobalts do zero damage to a target with active shields. So either load up with a ton of tetreyon weapons to bring their shields down faster, or go for something that can always do some damage to the enemy.
Captain
# 9
11-30-2012, 10:44 AM
[Deleted post, as I didn't know this was a zombie thread, gah. Sorry, mods.]

Last edited by red01999; 11-30-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Captain
# 10
11-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp26 View Post
What the hell have you been smoking?
What the hell have you been smoking that you're ressurecting 10 month old threads?

What is with this trend lately? Some group of people who finds this amusing or something?

Say no to zombies!