Career Officer
# 1 Dilithium is out of control!
10-24-2012, 06:07 AM
Seriously, to get any perks at all in game now, you have to quit your job and become a full-time Dilithium grinder.

I log into STO to do what I think is fun. Do I earn Dilithium from it? Some, but nowhere near enough. If I used all my in-game time to grind Dili, it still wouldn't be enough, and on top of that I wouldn't have any fun.

Spending 1-2 hours in game every day, doing what I like to do, should honestly be enough to buy me a lot of things, but at the current Dilithium rate I'd have to play a year on one toon to be able to afford a RA ship. That is, if I had nothing else to spend Dili on at all.

Is this the goal for STO? Becoming just another asia-grinder? If so, we're almost there already...
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-24-2012, 06:16 AM
You can always buy dil with Zen.
And that's the point of upcoming changes.
Career Officer
# 3
10-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxertm2 View Post
I did that a while back, but now the extreme increase demand for Dili has driven the Dili cost on the exchange so hig, I just can't justify how little Dili I get for my Zen anymore. Putting in a little $ to get a small reward in game i can live with. Having to dish out huge sums of $ is just not worth it...

I fear the current Dili demands are driving players away from STO. This is indicated by the Dili exchange, where the last months have shown that the demand for dili has increased in relation to how much has is being produced, driving the Dili price up. By driving the Dili prices up further, we will see players leaving STO until the Dili demand reduces the index to a more reasonable level.

For PvE play, gear doesn't matter all that much, but for the already small PvP community, having access to the best gear is essential. And to get it, they'll have to grind PvE instead of doing PvP. And doing PvP is the reason they play STO at all. I think the if the devs doesn't open up more avenues to earn Dili faster, STO will suffer badly from loss of players.

That's how I see it, anyhow.
Captain
# 4
10-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxertm2 View Post
Not everyone has money as dirt.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Commander
# 5
10-24-2012, 06:29 AM
In every MMO (subscription or F2P) you have to spend a lot of time to achieve to get the best gear.

Just in STO you only need money. In WoW you need a lot of time AND skill.

Last edited by luxchristian; 10-24-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Commander
# 6
10-24-2012, 07:29 AM
when i first started playing the game it was a lot of fun. i did not worry about dilithium, gear, etc. then i started "grinding" to get stuff and it was not as much fun.

i'm now back to playing for fun. i may get gear and dilithium slower, but it is fun again. or more fun i should say.

i'm certainily not going to buy zen to get dilithium. just be patient and acquire it over time.
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/
Commander
# 7
10-24-2012, 07:51 AM
What is the Dil/C-point rate at now? I forgot to check last time I logged in. Thanks!

Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Not everyone has money as dirt.
All players know that. Cryptic doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxchristian View Post
In (insert any decent MMO) you need a lot of time AND skill.
Skill in STO? Who needs that. A retarded monkey will nail your backside with Lobi store items any day. Unless you pay a fortune yourself to get 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1958 View Post
i'm now back to playing for fun. i may get gear and dilithium slower, but it is fun again. or more fun i should say.
In another words, you're not a cow to milk but a human being.
Career Officer
# 9
10-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesal24 View Post
What is the Dil/C-point rate at now? I forgot to check last time I logged in. Thanks!

Kyle
156? something like that.

So, the cap is up to 8k per character. Without going grind happy, I can nail about half of that in a casual night or so, just picking missions that pay decent Dilithium and trying not to get too grind happy. The key is, I have to be single minded about where I intend to spend it. I'm focused in on feeding my Fleet's Starbase. I can't lead without being willing to put the Fleet first. Maybe later as we get more folks in and it can run itself, I'll redirect onto playing the rest of the game.

Someone in TTS last night complained the new Omega system would cost 80,000 Dilithium. So, apparently its "unfair" that it would take me a whole 10 days grinding at the Dilithium cap, 20 if I take a more casual but efficent approach, maybe 2 months if I take my normal lazy approach. 2 months of Dilithum, which last I checked is dolled out in small amounts for nearly everything I do in endgame? I can take that.

Now, I get the point here on the forums and clogging up the chat channels - There are suddenly 5 or more things pulling at our Dilithium stores and income that we all want at least 3 of. We're spoiled - there used to be only 1 thing, ships. Season 6 brought in Starbases and Fleet gear. We're barely 25% of the way through that content when lo and behold, 3 new cool things to spend our time on (where Dilithium == time) - 2 rep systems (with promises of many more) and an Embassy of questionable value, but shiny none the less.

If you view Dilithium as I do - a measure of time spent in game - I have no issue really running missions for a month or so and being REWARDED for it with a variety of things to earn.

I do my best not to focus in on the idea that I *can* buy Dilithium - I certianly don't *have* to though, at 2-4k Dil a day with no real effort. I'm doing rather well now a days, and despite having more than enough money available to funnel into my STO hobby, I *choose* to instead *play* the game, and get rewarded for my time.

Personally, I think they need to kill the Zen/Dilithium exchange once and for all, and just duplicate all C-Store items in a new Dilithium store, so the *perception* that you *must* pay instead of actually play the game for 20 days over a month+ is erased.

The killer for me is the grinder pricing.

I have no issue with the pricing, AND the cap where it is, but I need to see a 2 hour play session filled with so many various Dilithium rewards that I hit at least 4k Dil just playing a wide variety of missions, 8k if I try hard.

I also NEED to see a big review of how DOffs are being dolled out. I recently opened over 300 Engineering Duty Officer boxes I got from my Fleet vendor, and of those 60 were Engineering Department, the rest Operations.

Less than 20%? When the projects called for a 1:1 ratio?

That's bull. And they are going to need to fix it before S7.

In short: make sure the casual player sees at least half the cap, and make sure the grinder isnt absolutely NEEDED just to get a 1:1 ratio of DOffs for projects. THEN they can jack prices to keep the top 5-10% of Dilithium hoarders in check, after they ensure they aren't also killing off the little guy.

EDIT: an aside - at 156 Dilithium/Zen, and 1 Zen == $0.01 USD... and people hitting 8k caps in 3 hrs? 0.17 USD/hr
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 5-5-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.

Last edited by jnohd; 10-24-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Commander
# 10
10-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
I did that a while back, but now the extreme increase demand for Dili has driven the Dili cost on the exchange so hig, I just can't justify how little Dili I get for my Zen anymore.
it dropped like a rock, from nearly 400 to around 158. that is the exact opposite of 'driving the dilithium cost high.' you are getting an average of twice the amount of zen you would get before from dilithium. thats not a major hike in cost