Commander
# 11
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
It's not about the money, as has been suggested above. It is about what Perfect World wants out of STO that determines the priorities. Clearly, all PWE wants is a cash cow they can milk over and over and over again. The only stuff they care to add to the game is stuff driven by Zen purchases. either that or mindnumbing grindfests that find a way to incorporate some form of monetization that encourages Zen sales.

Actually growing the game is not their goal. If it was, then that is what they would be doing.

If it takes 40+ people to turn out the crap that seems to be the focus of STO's development noe, then there is a serious problem somewhere.
Indeed.

If Cryptic would want to make STO a better game they could do so. All the lock boxes should have mad them rich already, but they didn't made anything better. The game is Cryptics cash cow for their nest big thing, nothing more.
Cryptic's shamefull history with the KDF

http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrin...ryptic_Studios
Career Officer
# 12
10-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robingbrown View Post
There's definitely a problem somewhere in there. I can't believe that 'it's too expensive' for Cryptic to make story/mission content when every other MMO manages it.
Doing things professionally adds bureaucracy. They have like six versions of the game floating around on their work computers that have to be synched up. They have approvals and budgets for things like polycounts and mission assets.

Assuming equal skill/talent/training/discipline, forty people is not eight times as productive as five amateurs eating cheetos and drinking Mountain Dew in a living room, working on laptops. Polish costs. Organization costs. Approvals and compliance with legal issues and license issues and user system specs have costs.

Last edited by stoleviathan99; 10-24-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Career Officer
# 13
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3dz3p85 View Post
If games based on a story no one has even heard of before can do this, why cant STO?
might have to do with the fact that this Chris Roberts is responsible for such small flopped and forgotten games like WING COMMANDER

//edit: oh that was already pointed out? ok don't mind me ;P

Last edited by zerobang; 10-24-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Captain
# 14
10-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robingbrown View Post
There's definitely a problem somewhere in there. I can't believe that 'it's too expensive' for Cryptic to make story/mission content when every other MMO manages it.
It's not too expensive. It's just not profitable for them in this period of STO's existance, where microtransaction-driven revenue is king. They have declared that they will never charge for mission/story content, and it is one declaration I believe they were truly sincere about. If they will never charge for it, then it will never be profitable. And if it will never be profitable, it will never have much of a priority. And if it will never have much of a priority then it won't have much of a presence.

You know what the real irony is? That before F2P occurred, people swore up and down that if they charged for mission content, it would be the greed-straw that broke the camels back for them and they would quit. These same people are the ones who have screamed at the top of their virtual lungs that STO needs playable content. Yet they eschew the only method that would define it as something profitable for Cryptic to pursue.

I would rather pay $15 for mission arc content packs released as regularly as possible than waste my money on Zen that can only buy fluff, or be used purchase Dilithium so that I can shave a little off the mindless grind that seems to exist only to encourage people to spend money to shave a little off of.

I'm working on something I will post a little later to outlines something which I think would be a fair compromise on the issue. Keep an eye out for it...
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Career Officer
# 15
10-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
It's not too expensive. It's just not profitable for them in this period of STO's existance, where microtransaction-driven revenue is king. They have declared that they will never charge for mission/story content, and it is one declaration I believe they were truly sincere about. If they will never charge for it, then it will never be profitable. And if it will never be profitable, it will never have much of a priority. And if it will never have much of a priority then it won't have much of a presence.

You know what the real irony is? That before F2P occurred, people swore up and down that if they charged for mission content, it would be the greed-straw that broke the camels back for them and they would quit. These same people are the ones who have screamed at the top of their virtual lungs that STO needs playable content. Yet they eschew the only method that would define it as something profitable for Cryptic to pursue.

I would rather pay $15 for mission arc content packs released as regularly as possible than waste my money on Zen that can only buy fluff, or be used purchase Dilithium so that I can shave a little off the mindless grind that seems to exist only to encourage people to spend money to shave a little off of.

I'm working on something I will post a little later to outlines something which I think would be a fair compromise on the issue. Keep an eye out for it...

$15 for Mission DLC sounds like a reasonable price if you think about other games like... uuh Mass Effect or whatever.
But this is STAR TREK ONLINE, our players pay $25 - $60 for a single STARSHIP (not counting the $200 LTA or LockBox Starships).

So... your $15 for a mission pack, that as Champions Online has shown them many would not even buy (Champions DID try this approach and stopped it), is just not a good enough Return of Investment for them.

Paying $50 for a Romulan Faction ...on DVD?
Not even that could beat another LockBox Ship or even another Odyssey Cruiser (and rumors are flying around that the Vesta Class will use the same $50 3 version price model as the Odyssey).
Captain
# 16
10-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
$15 for Mission DLC sounds like a reasonable price if you think about other games like... uuh Mass Effect or whatever.
But this is STAR TREK ONLINE, our players pay $25 - $60 for a single STARSHIP (not counting the $200 LTA or LockBox Starships).

So... your $15 for a mission pack, that as Champions Online has shown them many would not even buy (Champions DID try this approach and stopped it), is just not a good enough Return of Investment for them.

Paying $50 for a Romulan Faction ...on DVD?
Not even that could beat another LockBox Ship or even another Odyssey Cruiser (and rumors are flying around that the Vesta Class will use the same $50 3 version price model as the Odyssey).
Mission content can be indirectly monetized...
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...