Captain
# 541
10-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Some of this stuff makes me want to go back to single-player offline games.

Lol....
Empire Veteran
# 542
10-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post
( Notice: I don't know how I posted the same thread twice at different times, but I don't know )

Call it what you will, "insulting," "offensive," or whatever, an emotional response is not required. Do you deny my speculation, or facts presented have been faulty in anyway?
Yes, I call them faulty. Why? Because those issues aren't really as big as issues as you're claiming.

From your words I'm not quoting, it is my opinion you're simply using your own brand of logic and nitpicking at everything he says, with an over-bias from past behavior coloring what you're reading.

Thus saying your own logic is flawed, and a bit hypocritical with what you're saying.

In my opinion.
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.
Captain
# 543
10-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
Mr Stahl already responded to me on 1 of these issues: He agrees that the 1st/2nd/3rd place reward system would probably not be a good team building idea and that a flat 960 dilth would be awarded to everyone.

As I said this is the most sensible thing to do - this whole MMO - the whole idea of STO - the whole idea of group missions is to support each other to get things done. Many many mission would collapse in failure if everyone was just out to be the winner. The amount of hate and annomosity that would start to be generated towards other players could cripple STO permantly. Franckly it would be a disaster, and I don't want to see the game I love crumble over players fighting for 1st place in everything.
I agree 100% - fleet missions and STF's are hard enough outside of pre-made groups, I can't even begin to imagine how horrible they would become with everyone fighting for 1st place. STO would lose any sense of acting as a team that it had and the long-term damage could be devastating.
Starfleet Veteran
# 544
10-24-2012, 07:26 PM
AWESOME! Just wanted to throw my 2 strips of Latinum into this discussion as well.
First of all I LOVE the new reputation system, I think it's a great way to add new end game content and rewards into the game. I love how you get new abilities as well as opening up new rewards along the way.

However I have the same concerns about the reward crate that' we'll be getting when we reach lvl V. I can understand why you're holding it off until then, so we don't blow what we've been saving for gear to unlock the new rewards instead. But I share others concern that it feels like you're taking something away from us.

It's like when I was a kid and ready to go play, but my mom said "you have to clean your room first" I feel a lot of people see the work as a chore before the reward. Which is kind of sad, if playing a game feels like a chore it's not a good thing.

So maybe you could consider at least not holding the EDC's since that's something we can already spend, and if we've gotten borg salvage we can spend it now, and the regular or prototype borg tech is worth the most obviously so we might want to save that for later. But in the end I think you should give the player the option if they want to use it as soon as the conversion is made or hold on to it to use for gear later, and not have to wait till Tier V to use it

Also I'm concerned that you're lowering the Dilithium rewarded for STF's, it seems with the new system we'll end up having to spend more in the long run. and while you're adding more ways to get it, some people only like to run STF's for their gear, so I don't understand why you can't at least leave it the same.

Anyway just my thoughts so far, can't wait till the full system is up on TRIBBLE and we can all see what it looks like.
Thanks for making a great game and continuing to improve it by leaps and bounds!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard
Captain
# 545
10-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Some of this stuff makes me want to go back to single-player offline games.

Lol....
Indeed, time to dust off Star Trek Armada. The thing is, I will be faced with the same problem I have while playing Star Trek Online, insufficient dilithium.
Lieutenant
# 546
I am glad for your feed back and heads up for season 8.
Looking forward to some KDF fun.

The frustration has built up over time and continues to build.
Unfortunately you are the man in the hot seat so to speak and when ever someone sticks their head above the parapets the proverbial will often fly.

I think there is little doubt of the team at cryptics dedication and love of Trek.
The main cause of frustration is how this is proceeding.

For most of us, there will never be this is only a game attitude with STO because of the IP.

We love trek just as much as anyone at cryptic and funnily enough despite evidence to the contrary.
We want this game to succeed as much as you all do and we can all be here playing in season 12 and beyond.

It is this love of trek as much as your teams good works that could give this game the longest legs in the industry.

Its this love of trek that needs to be managed correctly.
It is the greatest asset and most ip's and developers could only dream of acquiring anything nearly as good.

Your best way to gauge what is good in STO is use your love for trek and think as players not as developers.
Then honestly decide would I have fun playing that star trek online addition/ mission/ system everyday and still have find the star trek love ?

If the love is not there then it does not really belong here.

Other developers plan to change the way their products are funded and profits accrued and the F2P market will be even more packed with choice for the casual F2P player.

The future will hold many game changing industry rethinks on the playing and spending tolerances of the gaming community.
You all know this and much, much more than I could ever know about all that.

The key will be if the love wins over the pain.
Because without the love its just another game.
Career Officer
# 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
The designers had a desire to see more people playing the Fleet Actions by making Fleet Actions the best source of Dilithium.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
Keep in mind that STFs will reward Dilithium AND Omega Marks - and Omega Marks can then be converted to more Dilithium after you've hit max level in Omega, so it may seem just be a short sighted argument.
I posted this in the tribble sub-forum, but I'll repost a bit here as well.

I'm sorry Dan, but I vehemently disagree.

We are also losing the EDC, Rare/Proto Salvage, Extra Tech Dilithium turn ins are we not?

It's going to cost approximately 484,000 dilithium to get to T5 rep, buy 8 [Borg] weapons & buy 3 set pieces.

Why de-incentivize the very content that you are adding a dilithium sink to by reducing the dilithium rewards?

For one thing, ground rewards as they stand now are not commensurate with the amount of time investment they require vs. space.

Another is that 480 is really a pittance for an Elite STF.

Here are some solo missions that reward 480:

• Rescue Deferi Captives (this mission takes under 3 minutes)
  • History 102: Alpha Quadrant Midterm (takes about 30s)
  • Explore Strange New Worlds 1440 (takes about 15 minutes)
  • The above can be combined with Chart the B'tran cluster for a total of 2880 dilithium
  • Traelus System Repair 480 (takes under 5 minutes)
There are at least another 3-4 missions like this.

There is no reason that an Elite STF that requires 5 players to first get together and complete should reward the same or less missions than what's listed above

In fact you can earn 500 dilithium not even being at your PC through the DOFF system or 2K dilithium through the contraband turn in!!

I think the idea was to push more people into the fleet events and alerts, here are my problems with that:

1) Incentive for content A does not need to be mutually exclusive with incentive content B.

2) Players should earn rewards based on the content. I'm glad you're improving fleet action rewards, but why do you feel the need to crush the STF rewards at the same time? Some of these fleet actions are just big, story-less shooting galleries that don't even require the slightest bit of thought.

If you really want to incentivize various existing content you need to build it into the calendar with more bonus days or even bonus per week if a player completes content A, B, C & D in a specific time frame (say, 1 week) then they get a X% bonus dilithium or a better chance at a drop or similar.

While we're on the subject of reward:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl
In addition Fleet Actions will now have better rewards in general
Gold = Purple + 1920 Dilithium
Silver = Purple + 960 Dilithium
Bronze = Blue + 960 Dilithium
All others = Green + 960 Dilithium

I like the idea of player's being rewarded for better performance.

The above is problematic however.

You can clearly see the issue present itself in starbase 24.

You have 5 players, playing completely selfishly. No one is there to help anyone else.

You have 1 player who is the winner, and the only way to win is just raw damage output which basically tells two entire ship classes and two captain types to just stay home if they actually want a reward.

What you should do, for bonus rewards, is something similar to STFs (but are not straight DPS races, which plays into the above as well just a bit less selfishly).

Essentially, there should be a set of performance thresholds and when those are achieved the entire team gets a bonus reward.

This could comeas a set of optionals that must be achieved or if you want to simply sum up the combined DPS/Heals/Debuffs put out by a team vs. time to complete.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 10-24-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Rihannsu
# 548
10-24-2012, 07:28 PM
So, this is the plan for STFs:

1) We're going to lock everyone from accessing the STF stores until they grind, grind, grind for months, totally throwing out their progress they have now until they're done grinding to the top.
2) We're going to add dilithium and DOFF sinks that were never there before to STF rewards.
3) We're going to half the dilithium rewards to make the grind even harder.
4) We're going to add even more dilithium and DOFF sinks for other stuff at the same time to drain people's resources even more.
5) We're going to say this is totes awesome.

The Cylons ended up having a better, more thought out plan than this.
Captain
# 549
10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superherofan View Post
So, this is the plan for STFs:

1) We're going to lock everyone from accessing the STF stores until they grind, grind, grind for months, totally throwing out their progress they have now until they're done grinding to the top.
2) We're going to add dilithium and DOFF sinks that were never there before to STF rewards.
3) We're going to half the dilithium rewards to make the grind even harder.
4) We're going to add even more dilithium and DOFF sinks for other stuff at the same time to drain people's resources even more.
5) We're going to say this is totes awesome.

The Cylons ended up having a better, more thought out plan than this.
Wile E. Coyote had better plans while trying to catch Roadrunner
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html
Lieutenant
# 550
10-24-2012, 07:35 PM
This whole season 7 seems like it is going to be make or break of this game it seems to be. the idea of having to earn hundreds of thousands of dilithium when you can only turn 8k a day is gonna be obscene. Not to mention downright wrong. I for one will not stand for it. This game has had issues and now PWE once again is gonna bad problem a whole lot worse. Just cant believe this game is getting so destroyed so quickly. Looks like its time to dust off certain games and reinstall. I will not regrind for everything all over again. The people that have already done the grinding should not have to do it again. PWE that is not a reward it is punishing your customers. Why would you expect a customer that has already done the grinding to do it all over again. Apparently you guys dont use logic when making these patches(Seasons)....also not to mention the hundreds of dollars i have spent on subbing and for zen store ships and other things...Now have to regrind to get all the stuff i already worked hard to get...Plain just not right to keep punishing your customers guys, You are treading on being worse than Blizzard..Blizzard never punished there customers this bad

Sincerely,

A very frustrated customer
Closed Thread