Captain
Since the testing group is done with testing her, please add the vesta ships to the "Experimental Ship" vendor so we can giver her a go.
Captain
# 2
11-08-2012, 09:56 AM
really? no one agrees with me on this?
Empire Veteran
# 3
11-08-2012, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't mind it. It'd decide whether or not I am gonna spend real money on the Vesta or not for me. If I feel it's worth using, I will buy it, but if it isn't, I won't.

Not gonna rush out and get 50 bucks in Zen when it comes out, not unless I think it'd be worth my time.

Captain
# 4
11-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Would you actually test her or would you just be going around telling people on holodeck you've got a Vesta on Tribble? I suspect the people who have gotten to fly a Vesta are people who have proven themselves to provide constructive and constant feedback while having a good knowledge on the true state of game mechanics and how it is balanced. Whether Cryptic chooses to listen that feedback however is another story.
Career Officer
# 5
11-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Don't need to test it, honestly. Wouldn't argue with being able to, but don't need to. I will wait until I start hearing the reviews. Have a look at how people I know use it in game, watch the videos that are inevitable, and decide then. But like mimey says above, I am in no rush to go spend 50$ until I see more. To the point, testing it on tribble would accomplish that.

Of course , doing so meant I never bought their Oddy Bundle so ...
Empire Veteran
# 6
11-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitzh View Post
Would you actually test her or would you just be going around telling people on holodeck you've got a Vesta on Tribble? I suspect the people who have gotten to fly a Vesta are people who have proven themselves to provide constructive and constant feedback while having a good knowledge on the true state of game mechanics and how it is balanced. Whether Cryptic chooses to listen that feedback however is another story.
For me, it's a 2 way street.... I enjoy putting a new ship through it's paces to find bugs, errors or things that could be improved, right up until they stopped releasing them after the Oddy. The problem with the Oddy though was we used a Galaxy skin and a stand in bridge... which is why when it went to live you had floating beacons, missing bridge doors and probably one of the WORST boff seating layouts of any bridge in the game (ie nobody driving the ship, a sci officer standing in the middle of the isle and of course NOBODY in the command chairs)

However, I also enjoy "going to the dealership" and being able to "test drive" a ship so that I know it fits my playstyle before I spend real world money on it. Honestly, have you ever bought a car without driving it first?
VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
Career Officer
# 7
11-08-2012, 12:58 PM
This isn't a car dealership and you aren't spending $20,000. F2P game purchases are often designed around impulse and the omg I have to have it panic most people go through. Letting people have a test drive is bad for business.

Reality is most people aren't capable of testing anything for Cryptic, they will test it for themselves but not the ship in its overall scope.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
11-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstdragon323 View Post
Since the testing group is done with testing her, please add the vesta ships to the "Experimental Ship" vendor so we can giver her a go.
I sort of don't get this either? I mean...we were able to pick up all 3 versions of the Odyssey on Tribble before it was released on Holodeck. There's been a slew of other ships that were released on Holodeck that you could test on Tribble beforehand as well.

I'm wondering if the difference with the Vesta is because Odyssey sales may have been lackluster?

I'm with hippiejon on something he said. I'll wait till I read some feedback from people I trust that have keen insight. I've made plenty of impulse buys in STO over the last few years and most those ships never see the light of day. Some things just look better on paper.

Thing is certain Devs kind of like to play favorites anyway. I remember prior to S5 when there was only a select few chosen to test the STF's 2.0 on Tribble. People kind of cried favoritism on that because no one knew exactly why/how those people were chosen. Eventually everyone was allowed to test them but not at first. There's also been a history of stuff given to people at podcasts as well before they make it to market for the rest of us consumers. I can kind of see that though. That's just free advertising from the fanboys.

Last edited by rooster75; 11-08-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Captain
# 9
11-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75 View Post
I'm wondering if the difference with the Vesta is because Odyssey sales may have been lackluster?
I doubt that, there are plently of Oddys flying around and its one of the most common Federation ship sighted in Sector space.

Granted a lot are Anniversary but the Odyssey is still the best cruiser in the game.

Now you can be right about the Vesta but its also possible because public testers are more likely to make things public, like when the Odyssey Console set was changed from a +1 turn rate to the current +0.5 turn rate, I suppose private testing means things like that dont show up in the forums.
Career Officer
# 10
11-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75 View Post
I'm with hippiejon on something he said. I'll wait till I read some feedback from people I trust that have keen insight. I've made plenty of impulse buys in STO over the last few years and most those ships never see the light of day. Some things just look better on paper.
I'm kind of sad that there's no real reason to fly my MVAE anymore