Career Officer
# 1 Season 7 "Currencies"
10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
With Season 7 just around the corner I've been keeping up as best I can on the news coming for the devs. I'm liking most of what I'm hearing. The most recent STF changes seem like they're heading in the right direction.

I do however have a serious concern. In Season 5: Call to Arms, Cryptic made an excellent move by converting many of the game's currencies into dilithium, thus making the currencies used much clearer and in ways that made more sense to the Star Trek universe.

I've now seen two separate articles regarding "new currencies" being released with Season 7; Romulan Marks & Omega Marks (as well as Borg Neural Processors; though we don't know how these fir yet).

My concern is this: Aren't these introductions of "marks" just returning to what was before with the exploration marks from the past? It sounds like you're adding "new currencies" back into the game. and this could quickly become, once again, overwhelming to players very quickly.

I'd be interested in hearing from the devs and getting their thoughts on why they've chosen this avenue that seems so familiar and could so easily become what we've left behind already.
Captain
# 2
10-24-2012, 08:40 PM
According to the devs, the Omega Marks and Borg Neural Processor is a reduction of numerous "currencies" that are awarded from the STF. EDC, techs, and other drops from the STF are removed so they don't take up space and there are less to worry about. Now if you want to consider those as currency or not, then that is your own opinion. To me, anything that has imposed worth due to wanting some item can be traded for it is currency.
Lieutenant
# 3
10-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Currency yes..but you just cant use or have it til you are tier 5 on the rep system...
Commander
# 4
10-25-2012, 01:11 AM
I never could get why they don't devaluate the dilithium (cut the zeros in the amount of dilithium all players have), limit the number of dilith one can get each day and simply make all equipement available through dilith shops.

All those marks, techs whatever are kinda weird for me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-25-2012, 02:57 AM
There is a daily limit.
Why all equipment is not available through dil shops - the answer is simple. Dil doesn't take up inventory space and more inventory space is something you buy for Zen. You should be asking actually why Lobi Crystals use inventory space.

But in the end you're right. It's all weird, instead of keeping only Zen/dil/EC currently we have also fleet marks/credits, LC, STF items, GPL, Eta Eridani techs "currency" to "buy" an additional dil getting mission, etc etc. Very bad design. Feels like a rushed design in fact, but dunno how would that be possible, STO is not a new game.
Captain
# 6
10-25-2012, 05:10 AM
It is all most like the season 4 and 5 setup i mean this is going no ware FAST
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Now... I haven't really been following the whole multi-currency debate. Only heard snippets here and there. But... With the currencies we have now.. EC's, Lobi, dilithium, latinum, and the various STF rewards... datachips, various techs... What if PWE introduced the option to choose how you want certain rewards to be paid out.

Example: You do the Defari daylies and instead of the 1400 latinum you choose to be paid out in Lobi. That way you can 'save up' for what you'd really like to get.

Ofcourse it'd mean they'd have to come up with some sorft of exchange rate.
They could even add a 'penalty' if you choose to be paid out in anything other than the default reward.

Say the normal exchange is 1 Lobi for 100 latinum. Then chosing to be paid in Lobi instead of Latinum for your daylies would only get you 12 Lobi and not 14.
Captain
# 8
10-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddover View Post
Now... I haven't really been following the whole multi-currency debate. Only heard snippets here and there. But... With the currencies we have now.. EC's, Lobi, dilithium, latinum, and the various STF rewards... datachips, various techs... What if PWE introduced the option to choose how you want certain rewards to be paid out.

Example: You do the Defari daylies and instead of the 1400 latinum you choose to be paid out in Lobi. That way you can 'save up' for what you'd really like to get.

Ofcourse it'd mean they'd have to come up with some sorft of exchange rate.
They could even add a 'penalty' if you choose to be paid out in anything other than the default reward.

Say the normal exchange is 1 Lobi for 100 latinum. Then chosing to be paid in Lobi instead of Latinum for your daylies would only get you 12 Lobi and not 14.
Latinum is worth less sorry to say can not do any thing with it.There is only a few things that you can bye with Latinum should not even be in game for that matter.
Captain
# 9 Season seven
10-26-2012, 01:43 PM
In all honesty do we really need any more Currency's Then what we have now i mean really i was here when season 4 and 5 where here.And the Currency that was be for 6 sucked i am sorry to say.Way can't it stay simple i mean really i know this is suppose to be 1,000 years in to the future and stuff.

But what is really the point on this new Currency.

This Grinding thing day in and day out is getting to all of us.You guy's tend to set the cap way to freaking high.You need to ease up some.

And on top of these issues your more worried about season 7 and not fixing the real bug's that really need fixed.In the last few patch's i can count 20 or more thing's that have been broken with each patch.

When you come out with season seven i bet you are going to break even more thing's that even where not broken.Like the season 6 patch.

With every new season Comes with tons of new bugs And there are still bug's from season 5 that still have not been fixed.

I am not trying to be a troll just speaking my mind on what the real issues are.
Captain
# 10
10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
I think you misunderstand, they're gonna take away about 4 currencies and replace them with 2 but make you spend one that already exists to buy permission to spend the 2 new ones.

new and improved.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?