Lieutenant
# 1 Hi guys
11-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I got a question, can you guys please help me with a tanky space build for my klingon? im thinking that the bortas or neg'vahr are the ship to use for this.

I went ahead and searched, and found this :

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...uild=bortas1_0

My question is, does this cut it, is it still up to date, or would u guys suggest something else?

Thansk in advance!!
Captain
# 2
11-18-2012, 01:15 PM
iirc, two copies of FAW1 will share a cooldown, you may find it to be of use to have TT1 there instead-esp. against boarding shuttles and/or invisiborg boarding parties.

I have not been real successful with cruiser-sized vessels using APD either-you may find THAT ability better replaced by TT2 (gives a small accuracy bonus, and helps in running shield distro repeatedly). if you're able to cycle tac-team and EPS, you can keep your shield up-time during the RSP cooldowns higher, and you're more resistant to boarding party attacks, esp. in STF's where the borg LOVE to put their men on your ship, and will do so at every opportunity.

tanking involves, put nicely, everything in the universe wanting to kill you, and trying to-usually all at once.

the Bortas/Bortasque has the accelleration and handling of a city bus with low tyres. Maneuver buffs really aren't going to help it as much as endurance buffs and boosted DPS. I tested all three in Tribble, dumped gear in that would make a Vor'cha fly like a raptor on crack, and it was more akin to driving a Vo'Quv, so push for more and heavier armor, thicker shielding, and low-energy-cost DPS for your 'spike' (i.e. maybe drop one of the Attack patterns for something like Torp Spread or Torp HY)
Lieutenant
# 3
11-18-2012, 02:03 PM
thank you so much for your rapid reply.

I was right in thinking that the Bortas would be best, looking at its hull/shields?

Also, if it is not too much trouble, could you please fill out a talent thingy like the one i linked?
i hope its not too much trouble, but im still really new to the game, and all help is very appreciated <3
Captain
# 4
11-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roelandm View Post
thank you so much for your rapid reply.

I was right in thinking that the Bortas would be best, looking at its hull/shields?

Also, if it is not too much trouble, could you please fill out a talent thingy like the one i linked?
i hope its not too much trouble, but im still really new to the game, and all help is very appreciated <3
I can't say 'best', Cruisers drive me NUTS to drive (I'm a BoP driver by choice), but I have had some experience with the Bortas/Bortasque. it's got a beautiful bridge, (at least in Tribble) and lots of power.

But handles like a city bus with flat tyres and bad brakes. If I were to make a serious recommendation, the Negh'var is, in my honest opinion, a better ride even with thinner hull and shields, because it's easier to get and keep a foeman in your best arc of fire whilst delivering the pain, and it's easier to manuever AWAY from explodey things that might really hurt-such as warp-core breaches from fallen foes.

all that aside, you want the universal slots, and you can't get them on a Negh'var, so you're stuck with either the Bortasque, Bird of Prey, or the 1000 day vet ship.

as for filling those sheets out...

um...not really. I can make a few suggestions, though...

LTC(U):
BFAW1, TT2,APO1

LT(t)
TT1, APB1

Com(Eng)
Eng Team 1, EPS2, RSP2, Aux Str.2

Ens. (eng)
EPS1

Lt. Sci
Pol.hull 1, Hazard Em. 2

Come to think of it, you COULD get more mileage out of Transfer shield strength 1, or another copy of Hazard Emitters1 thus giving you some ability to chain your emitters in plasma-rich Borg STF's.
Lieutenant
# 5
11-18-2012, 02:40 PM
why is the universal slot so important? i mean if u know that u want to make a tank spec space ship (in my case for example) cant u just make do with non universal slots?

also, i dont care much about handling, i just wanna crawl my way into battle, soak dmg and return dmg to those stupid enough to engage me :>

also, im not familiar yet with all those codes for everything could u at least make them a lil less cryptic. just addin a few letters to each will let me figure it out :-x

Last edited by roelandm; 11-18-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Captain
# 6
11-18-2012, 03:34 PM
In his post:
LTC(U):
BeamFire At Will 1, Tac Team 2, Attack Patterns Omega1

LT(t)
TacTeam1, Attack Pattern Beta1

Com(Eng)
Eng Team 1, Emergency Power to Shields 2, Reverse Shield Polarity2, Auxiliary power to Structural integrity field.2

Ens. (eng)
Emergency Power to Shields1

Lt. Sci
Polarise .hull 1, Hazard Emitters. 2

However, if you want to go full on tank, and do not feel a particular need for the flexibility of a universal slot, the Negh'Var is actually very nice. It's nimble, compared to a Bortas... It can keep its fore guns on most enemies, if you want.

I'd suggest something along the lines of:

Egineering Team 1

Emergency power to weapons 1, Emergency Power to Weapons 2, Eject Warp Plasma

Emergency Power to Shields 1, Reverse Shield Polarity, Emergency power to Shields, Aux power to structural integrity field(Aux2SIF) 3

Tactical Team 1, Torpedo Spread

Polarise Hull 1, Hazard Emitters 2

You can cycle the emergency power skills, allowing 100% power boost upkeep, on both varieties simultaneously. Aux2SIF, HE, ET can all be used on others too, if you want to go healing. You might even switch out Eject Warp Plasma or EPtW2 for Extend Shields for more healing/protection output.

For your own protection: stacking Aux2SIF, Polarise Hull and EPtShields gives you a large amount of damage resistance, and you should be well able to keep your health up.

Nota bene: I'm more of a science captain, so true engineers out there might give you better advice...
Captain
# 7
11-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twam View Post
In his post:
LTC(U):
BeamFire At Will 1, Tac Team 2, Attack Patterns Omega1

LT(t)
TacTeam1, Attack Pattern Beta1

Com(Eng)
Eng Team 1, Emergency Power to Shields 2, Reverse Shield Polarity2, Auxiliary power to Structural integrity field.2

Ens. (eng)
Emergency Power to Shields1

Lt. Sci
Polarise .hull 1, Hazard Emitters. 2

However, if you want to go full on tank, and do not feel a particular need for the flexibility of a universal slot, the Negh'Var is actually very nice. It's nimble, compared to a Bortas... It can keep its fore guns on most enemies, if you want.

I'd suggest something along the lines of:

Egineering Team 1

Emergency power to weapons 1, Emergency Power to Weapons 2, Eject Warp Plasma

Emergency Power to Shields 1, Reverse Shield Polarity, Emergency power to Shields, Aux power to structural integrity field(Aux2SIF) 3

Tactical Team 1, Torpedo Spread

Polarise Hull 1, Hazard Emitters 2

You can cycle the emergency power skills, allowing 100% power boost upkeep, on both varieties simultaneously. Aux2SIF, HE, ET can all be used on others too, if you want to go healing. You might even switch out Eject Warp Plasma or EPtW2 for Extend Shields for more healing/protection output.

For your own protection: stacking Aux2SIF, Polarise Hull and EPtShields gives you a large amount of damage resistance, and you should be well able to keep your health up.

Nota bene: I'm more of a science captain, so true engineers out there might give you better advice...
Check the character's spec below on his example (in the link)-no skilling into Torpedoes or projectiles, which is why I didn't recommend Torp spread insttead of Beam FAW.

The character spec itself favours a Negh'var more-but there are several items in it that don't work particularly well when you only have a Lt. Tactical slot.
Lieutenant
# 8
11-18-2012, 05:17 PM
thanks for all the help so far!

there is another question though, how do I spec myself?

therer are 4 talent trees, 3 for space and 1 for ground. how to best spend those points? im not quite sure how to go, cause some of the descriptions are rather... as a noob its not quite clear.
i wish there was a cooky cutter tank-spec, so i could just follow that for lvling my first char... then for next chars i can experiment myself

EDIT: talent spec wise, is this any good so far? :
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...elandjuh0031_0

thnx

Last edited by roelandm; 11-18-2012 at 09:13 PM.