Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Qo'nos
10-27-2012, 03:06 AM
SHOULD BE DEAD?!?!?
Yes ... if we get our trekkies minds back to the most awesome movie ever , Star Trek VI (please no arguments) Qo'nos had a hhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggeeee probelm . There moon blew apart and crippled Qo'nos's atmosphere ... so how come I logged onto my new KDF character (and realised just how much of a lack of content there is) and said ... Hey , I am alive ... AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE

Please help me understand what is happening

Proof that we ALL being MINDCONTROLLED!!! (Possibly 1984 style) Click here to find out more!
Career Officer
# 2
10-27-2012, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
SHOULD BE DEAD?!?!?
Yes ... if we get our trekkies minds back to the most awesome movie ever , Star Trek VI (please no arguments) Qo'nos had a hhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggeeee probelm . There moon blew apart and crippled Qo'nos's atmosphere ... so how come I logged onto my new KDF character (and realised just how much of a lack of content there is) and said ... Hey , I am alive ... AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE

You should watch Star Trek 6 again.
There they talked about combatting the problem.

If we go by the bits and pieces from the Fed President's speech in ST6 (while Kirk, Sulu and Chang are slugging it out above) they intended to evacuate the planet.
Appearently they never did evacuate it completely.

Possibly they did however evacuate large portions of the population while the Feds and Klingons used whatever terraforming equipement they had at their disposal to fix the damage.
Given how very different the sky looks between the 22nd century (in Enterprise) and the 24th century (TNG) my best guess is they did stop the planet from becoming unihabitable but it was never returned to quite the same it used to be.
Career Officer
# 3
10-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Obviously, with technology, they fixed it over time. There's a lot of time between the 23rd century Star Trek VI and 25th century STO.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Captain
# 4
10-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah, besides Qo'os was occuppied cira TNG so...
Rihannsu
# 5
10-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl103 View Post
Yeah, besides Qo'os was occuppied cira TNG so...
Yep, blame the writers because "Sins of the Father" aired in 19 March 1990, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country was released in 6 December 1991, "Redemption" (I and II) aired in 1991 but before the movie.

Either the movie writers knew that in TNG time it was already back to normal and ignored it, nobody informed the TNG writers about the upcoming movie (and/or veto the episodes) or the TNG writers knew and did not cared and the producers.

Either way, "The House of Quark" aired years later so you can see what come of any possible inconsistencies.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
10-27-2012, 01:52 PM
If you ever looked at the skies of Qo'nos it's dark like Qo'nos was in a Nuclear Winter (from Praxis fragments impacting).

But yeah, in Star Trek 6 they were talking about Evacuation of Qo'nos due to the Oxygen supply being affected.

In the Mid 23rd Century, you hear about Romulan Colonies like Khitomer, Naraenda, and others. Which likey means they were moving people out of the homeworld to slow down the degradation.

In TNG Era, we hear of other planets undergoing terraforming or have weather satellites (like Risa), which never was mentioned in the TOS-TMP era, which to me sounds like such technology could've came from the stabilization of Qo'nos.

So by 2409, looks like pretty much the majority of the damage from the Praxis event was resolved and Qo'nos is back to normal.

You reading this Cryptic? Klingon faction mission - Hint, Hint
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!
Captain
# 7
10-27-2012, 04:37 PM
ST Universe's Earth also recovered from World War III within 10 years (without outside help or 23rd century tech), so one can assume they managed the Praxis problem.

btw: did anyone notice the Eugenics Wars that took place in the '90s? They were supposed to be devastating, but I can't remember hearing anything on the news back then...
Captain
# 8
10-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
SHOULD BE DEAD?!?!?

As others have noted, it was possible to 'fix' the problem, but the Klingon economy couldn't handle it because it was already burdened by massive military expenditures. That's the whole reason why the Klingons pursued peace at all, because they were in danger of being decimated.

Logically, one would assume that after peace was established, the Klingon Empire was capable (perhaps with some Federation assistance) of dealing with the problem and ensuring that Qo'noS didn't turn into a de-oxygenated wasteland.
Empire Veteran
# 9
10-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
Obviously, with technology, they fixed it over time. There's a lot of time between the 23rd century Star Trek VI and 25th century STO.
Yes. In soft cannon the years after the damage control was complete , the current High chancellor led the Empire through what was considered a near golden age for klingon spciety.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Career Officer
# 10
10-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
ST Universe's Earth also recovered from World War III within 10 years (without outside help or 23rd century tech), so one can assume they managed the Praxis problem.

btw: did anyone notice the Eugenics Wars that took place in the '90s? They were supposed to be devastating, but I can't remember hearing anything on the news back then...
Obviously, you haven't been keeping up with your Star Trek (soft canon) History Lessons...

They were very interesting times...
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 10-27-2012 at 08:43 PM.