Career Officer
So a question has arisen from time to time over playable Romulans, the Romulan faction, etc. and that question often hinges on Romulans being playable inisde the KDF and Federation sooner or having a full faction later. A part of that question is whether it would make sense to have Romulans in the KDF, whether Romulans would join and whether Klingons would accept them. I feel like we're moving towards that with the embassy and wanted to throw out an idea:

Look at the episodes "The Enterprise Incident" (where Kirk is surgically altered to at least appear Romulan) and "Unification" (where Picard and Data are). We know, furthermore that Klingons used similar approaches to infiltrate the Federation with a surgically altered Klingon, although that approach failed the Tribble test and, in soft canon, lost favor under the regimes of Klingons with a stricter view of honor.

Technology has marched on. It's the 25th century. J'mpok's standards for honor are looser and so are the Federation's.

So... Here's the idea:

- Romulan faction EVENTUALLY when there's time to do it right and after Klingons.

- In the meantime, maybe a bit more sophisticated version of the old surgical disguise. Genetic engineering via conventional means is risky but what about a special transporter pattern buffer based on the Tuvix incident on Voyager?

Players who max out Romulan rep get pulled aside by a Section 31 or an Orion officer who has perfected this transporter technique. They note that the player is quite an expert on Romulans and might be right for a special assignment but ask for a fee as a show of trust.

If the player comes up with this fee, they get to use the special transporter pad and become a Romulan. Their species is reset to Romulan. They pick traits. All costume data is wiped and they get to select a new look as a Romulan.

In this case, it's not Romulans joining the Empire. Its existing captains getting converted into Romulans ala Kirk or Picard... but with a bit more invasive, harder to detect approach.

As a Romulan, you get access to an extra daily on New Romulus with a bundle of rewards that help with Fleet Embassies and bonus Romulan Marks. These dailies consist of going out and gaining the trust of the New Romulus Romulans or performing small acts of theft or sabotage and trying to sway the Romulans against the Federation or Klingons.

Now, if you want to roleplay being a "real" Romulan, go ahead OR wait for the real faction years down the line. But in game terms, you're an existing captain who was modified, just on a deeper level than Kirk or Picard were.
Rihannsu
# 2
10-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Interesting twist on the mini-faction concept. I would be willing to do this with one of my VA's provided that they would also be given access to a Romulan ship and allow us to conscript, bribe, entice or otherwise build up a bridge crew.
Captain
# 3
10-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Frankly, I don't have a problem with faction specific romulans as just renegades or refugees.

I would still like a faction of them, thought that would need a lot of manpower (and hopefully bringing the KDF some more content too).
Captain
# 4
10-25-2012, 05:09 PM
While I would like actual Romulan Boffs and characters, either renegades or refugees, I can actually see a way this could be very amusing.

Say we have the same thing Levy is suggesting, but instead of "Becoming" a Romulan, you keep your species specific stats and traits! If we get a Romulan Faction and Fed/KDF Romulan captains, we could have an amusing thing started where you try to tell who's Romulan and who's not.

(Queue many declarations of "It's a FAAAAAAAKE!!!")
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
11-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I just want a D'deridex class, I don't care about it any other way
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
11-14-2012, 12:40 AM
I've never really understood what all the fuss is about in regard to playable Romulans, but I'm all for more choice of course.

It's a good idea, might not take too long to add Romulan specific Doff missions too.
Captain
# 7
11-14-2012, 01:10 AM
I would tend to think after the War with the Federation is over as for new searies.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Lieutenant
# 8
11-14-2012, 02:39 AM
You lost me at "Tuvix".

Forever.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
11-14-2012, 02:51 AM
The devs can't even fix the errors in the fed and klingon factions. I think introducing the Romulans as a playable faction would be a horrible idea until the klingon and fed faction items are fixed.

That being said, I could see them introducing the Romulans into the Klingons and Federation a zen-based bought races (like the Caitans, Fereseans, and Joined Trill).

The Romulans and the Klingons at one time had an alliance (the Klingons after all got the cloaking technology from the Romulans), and well, the Federation will usually make peace with anyone as long as it's something that's not full of demands.