Captain
# 41 Star Trek racist?
10-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valarauko43 View Post
I never would have believed that I would feel unwelcome in a Star Trek game. Until now. In the Star Trek universe I should not have to see things that take me out of the experience that the creator of the franchise would want me to enjoy and leave me remembering the real world where I am considered to be sub-human and subject to certain consequences of that state of existence. I thought that after the Kirk-Uhura thing I would have a safe, fun time playing a game about a hopeful future. I am apparently not safe here at all. Sorry to bother you.
I was on Drozana station a few days ago and the racial remarks were just turning the air bluer than the Davidians ever could. Star Trek has tried to tackle racism yet it has also been accused of being racist. All of the Ferengi were played by Jewish actors for example and if you removed Michael Dorns forhead makeup what would he be but a really negative deadbeat dad/ angry black man stereotype. I like that as time has gone by the alien races have become less of a cardboard cut out stereotype since this could taint ones opinion of real human racial differences. . For example the Klingon lawyer on an episode of Enterprise who was kindhearted and peacable or even that the Romulans in 2009's Star Trek were not typical although Nero was basically space Hitler.
Lieutenant
# 42
10-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Sounds to me like you're just far too sensitive.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go fly around in my I.S.S. Bathory, named for Elizabeth Bathory, a woman famous for slitting the throats of virgins and bathing in their blood in an attempt to gain eternal youth.
Actually, it's also the surname of Stephen Bathory, one of Poland's greatest elected kings. And the story about Elizabeth is, I think, of dubious authenticity. (Got any scholarship to refute me on that? )

So no, naming a ship "Bathory" isn't necessarily offensive.

Last edited by nikoagonistes; 10-27-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Why no accents?
Career Officer
# 43
10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Well obviously the part about bathing in blood for youth and beauty is exaggerated, but she was certainly a serial killer, and a prolific one to boot.
Lieutenant
# 44
10-28-2012, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valarauko43 View Post
I need to know what to do to report a seriously offensive ship name. I took a screenshot that is saved to my steam account but I don't know how to show it to you (the person from pwe/cryptic) who needs to see it. The U.S.S. ship is named after a WWII "N" war criminal/doctor by the name of J**** M****** (trying not to violate policy but I don't know what to do). I saw it last night 12:30am pst, in the Donatu sector #3. Please let me know what to do next to get this to the right persons attention, but note that I am not very tech-savvy and will need "for dummies" level instructions.
I've been wondering if it's worth replying to this or not, but i feel i had to. While i understand who you are talking about obviously due to my age which is irrelevant, the fact that you are taking this so personally i find totally ridiculous. You weren't there, or at least highly unlikely you were.

As others have stated already, there are equally offensive ship names used by many others that have committed similar historically offensive things, yet no mention of those. Let's not even go down the different languages on display here and some of the names used there, especially amongst the germans and hungarians that i've seen.

While this particular name would be offensive to any jewish person, there are others just as bad and where do you stop? Do you ban anyone using the name Colonel Custer just because it might offend a native american? Do you ban the name Stalin just because it might upset a russian? Where does it end? Get a grip, play the game and ignore some of these idiots that play, they can't help it if they are ignorant. Sadly you see stuff like this in all MMO's, get used to it.
Founder of the 3rd Foot & Mouth Federation Fleet. Join today!

The Khasi of Kalabar: They will die the death of a thousand cuts!
Princess Jelhi: Oh! But that's horrible!
The Khasi of Kalabar: Not at all my little desert flower, the British are used to cuts!
Ensign
# 45
10-28-2012, 06:48 AM
People, does it really matter whether it's ridiculous to you or not? The OP is offended and obviously very deeply affected by this. For all you or I know the person flying the ship the OP is talking about, knows exactly who the person was in their historical context and chose the name for exactly that reason. That thought should scare anyone, considering what those monsters were capable of. On the other hand, yes, it could just be the player's name and they have no idea who they share it with.

My point, is that just because it seems ridiculous to you doesn't mean it isn't and issue or that the OP is being "sensitive." At the very least it should be looked into if it has such an effect on even one person.
Starfleet Veteran
# 46
10-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Wow...I didn't expect my thread to last this long lol. I loved reading some of your points on this matter. Let's try not get ahead of ourselves haha.
Career Officer
# 47
10-30-2012, 08:30 AM
"Monitor" is a banned name, too, apparently, even though it's a canon name for a Nebula-class ship.