Captain
# 21
10-27-2012, 07:18 PM
The other powers give a choice between two different powers so why can't the Tier 5 power as well?
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
10-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchibiclari View Post
The present setup of STO allows "on next hit" buffs but ONLY when combined with a finite-length countdown timer (e.g. the 30 seconds that you are allowed to fire a torpedo with the High Yield or Spread abilities). AFAIK the devs have not implemented anything that allows you to trigger the "on next hit" power with no time limit.
I completely forgot about this game's own ONH powers like the High yield and spread torpedoes. But even without an infinite timer (even CO's ONH abilities have a time limit with which you can use it) setting up an ONH to consume itself after using a science ability and having a 30 second (or another reasonable time) window to use it doesn't seem too bad especially if the recharge is balanced with it. A 5 second buff though seems a bit harsh especially for those who get input lag. Its not like Cryptic has EU servers for this game.
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
10-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
The T5 Romulan Rep ability is intended to be an "On Next Power" boost. Basically, you activate it, and your next ability that relies upon Science skills is vastly more effective.

We did not have an immediate solution to making a power that could remain on the player until their next power was activated, and then consume it. So the 5-second timer is by design to allow 1 or 2 power activation that are capable of benefiting from the boost.

It's not intended to turn you into Mr. Super Science for any duration. We can re-examine that if necessary, but I wanted to let everyone in on the actual design intent behind the ability first.

If this design intent means that we have to increase the bonus that this power grants, we'd love to hear suggestions as to how high it would need to be for it to be considered effective and desirable, without turning it into a 10-min Cooldown "I Win" button.

I'd like to reinforce the fact that this boost adds +100 to ALL Science Skills. This includes the skills that will increase effectiveness of Shield Heals, Current Shield HPs, Damage, Control and Energy/Shield Drains... but it also grants a massive boost to the RESIST skills that can help players escape or shrug off incoming control effects.
Suggest you have this throughly tested tested in PvP just to make sure.

Off hand, I could imagine this with the Captain and Fleet Sci Boosts, could make for quite a significant effect. Especially if on a Sci Captain in a Sci Ship, waiting for a type of Alpha Strike (given most cooldowns are now gone).
Captain
# 24
10-27-2012, 08:56 PM
No, this ability is flat-out a bad idea.

Its not like their isn't already a potential variance of 0-250ish skill effecting a power, or over 100% boost to damage from tac cap. abilities in the game. Now there is a temporary +100 skill power added in as well?

This ability will end one of two ways, just like every other Sci Power has.
A) Game Breaking 'I Win' button when setup properly
B) Useless

Of course I'm still bitter over the latest sci boff ability damage nerfs so yeah.

PS: Sci powers are still useful in PvP for the most part, its the PvE part of the game where they tend to have issues due in part to how NPCs are designed and in part because of above.

*Edit*
I want to show what I mean a little bit clearer. Lets say we have a Sci power that deals 10k damage at base with a .3 skill mod and a tac captain.

Base (skill-less damage): 10,000
Add skill mod at 250(75%): 17,500
Ooops used ability new skill 350(105%): 20,500
Add tac mod at 100%: 41,000

Either base will be too weak, or full buff way too strong. I know I know who on earth uses abilities they don't have skill points towards and yes you can try and balance it on an 'expected' average amount just like you would with the other types of damage and that is fine and dandy until you bust out something that is extremely binary like a full on stun!

Time to Kill stunned Target = 10 seconds say
Base no Skill duration: 5 seconds
Expected Average skill mod 99pts(30%): 6.5 seconds
Crazy Min Max ultra rare deflector equiped and single PTW console that boosts said skill and even uses romulan ability for a skill of 250 say (75%): 8.75 seconds of stun

And now cryptic either has to nerf the base stun ability duration potentially making it worthless or do something else equally drastic like buffing the resist skill which has the same effect of making the original ability worthless in practice. Or you could be forward thinking and not let it effect the Subspace Decompiler skill but that is just one of many.

Last edited by bareel; 10-27-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 25
10-27-2012, 11:59 PM
It should work with your hazard emitter and TSS too. And +100 will be a huge boost to your science heals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Or you could be forward thinking and not let it effect the Subspace Decompiler skill but that is just one of many.
It's not a stun, you can't fire at your enemy though. But it won't kill you, it just makes you "useless" in your team. But in no way scramble sensors will allow the other team to win. It's just one of the many frustrating powers scis have, but that's the purpose of science in this game, they are 'you can't play now" abilities.

Last edited by diogene0; 10-28-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Captain
# 26
10-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic
The T5 Romulan Rep ability is intended to be an "On Next Power" boost. Basically, you activate it, and your next ability that relies upon Science skills is vastly more effective.

We did not have an immediate solution to making a power that could remain on the player until their next power was activated, and then consume it. So the 5-second timer is by design to allow 1 or 2 power activation that are capable of benefiting from the boost.

It's not intended to turn you into Mr. Super Science for any duration. We can re-examine that if necessary, but I wanted to let everyone in on the actual design intent behind the ability first.

If this design intent means that we have to increase the bonus that this power grants, we'd love to hear suggestions as to how high it would need to be for it to be considered effective and desirable, without turning it into a 10-min Cooldown "I Win" button.

I'd like to reinforce the fact that this boost adds +100 to ALL Science Skills. This includes the skills that will increase effectiveness of Shield Heals, Current Shield HPs, Damage, Control and Energy/Shield Drains... but it also grants a massive boost to the RESIST skills that can help players escape or shrug off incoming control effects.

----------------------------------------------------

This looks like a Elite player ability to me that requires
Key binds to be a awesome " I win " ability

Which is just going to increase the gap between
The casual player and the Elite players which will
Be just another wall to keep pvp from becoming anything
Meaningful for this game

Maybe it should be a more user friendly ability
So the masses who pay the bills at cryptic are a little
More happy and spend more money

If they get ( owned ) even harder I don't think they
Will rush out to spend more Zen

It's up to you experts to decide what's better for the
Game, I just though I would point this out
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci
Empire Veteran
# 27
10-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
----------------------------------------------------

This looks like a Elite player ability to me that requires
Key binds to be a awesome " I win " ability

Which is just going to increase the gap between
The casual player and the Elite players which will
Be just another wall to keep pvp from becoming anything
Meaningful for this game

Maybe it should be a more user friendly ability
So the masses who pay the bills at cryptic are a little
More happy and spend more money

If they get ( owned ) even harder I don't think they
Will rush out to spend more Zen

It's up to you experts to decide what's better for the
Game, I just though I would point this out
The issue won't be getting to T5 rep, it'll take 2-3 months, playing some repetitive content, and 80k dil only. Gear is a far more critical issue.
Captain
# 28
10-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
It should work with your hazard emitter and TSS too. And +100 will be a huge boost to your science heals.

It's not a stun, you can't fire at your enemy though. But it won't kill you, it just makes you "useless" in your team. But in no way scramble sensors will allow the other team to win. It's just one of the many frustrating powers scis have, but that's the purpose of science in this game, they are 'you can't play now" abilities.
huh?

It was a pretend example mate. Not of scramble sensors which can go for far longer than ten seconds to begin with.
Captain
# 29
10-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Quote:
It should work with your hazard emitter
Hull repairs is an eng tree skill so HE gets nothing from this. And the buff will wear off roughly 4 seconds into TSS so the TSS benefit will be minimal. Maybes a 30% boost, probably 25% or less, and thats assuming it doubles the heal magnitudes, i'm pretty sure TSS only gets about +50% base from 100 SP's and most people will be running 100+ emmitters so in reality where talking going from 150% to 200% of base, or about a 33% boost for about 1/4 of the ability duration. Or about +8% total effect.
Empire Veteran
# 30
10-28-2012, 07:46 PM
What's with the crazy long 10min cool down, it's like one activation for use with one power per battle engagement.
I'll just end up not using it as it'll forever be in cool down (thus end up forgetting about it like other useless abilities like abandon ship) and I wont be sure if I should save it for another moment in the battle which may never come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl103 View Post
Hull repairs is an eng tree skill so HE gets nothing from this. And the buff will wear off roughly 4 seconds into TSS so the TSS benefit will be minimal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
but it also grants a massive boost to the RESIST skills that can help players escape or shrug off incoming control effects.
Hazards provides damage resist so it definitely would effect it. Resist at the very least. And along with TSS I suspect the buff will last the duration of the ability you just fired off.

Like activating Hazards on self or others, then immediately reduce aux power doesn't affect the healing given over time. They're cast and forget abilities as far as I'm concerned and are affected only by skills/power/etc of the caster when it is cast, not after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
2) It only benefits Science powers, and at that it only benefits Science powers that are Aux-based.

Doesn't that seem exceedingly niche for the only available T5 power?
It seems very lopsided to favor only 1 discipline, and only 1 part of one career path at that.
Science skills. Not sci powers per se. For example. An engineers EPtS3 will be boosted by it as shield emitters effects that ability. Or EWP3 will be boosted from particle gens boost.

Tacs running Target X subsystem will see an increase in drain amount.

Or anyone running theta radiation will get a boost from flow caps bonus.

Non sci captains can and will benefit from it. Sure it's a tougher case to argue for tacs. Engys will benefit quite a bit I suspect from it and scis the most, obviously.

But as a tac having a mega boost to your HE or TSS would probably be rather handy non the less.
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Fleet Corsair, Voth Fighter. Favs - Mogh, Bastion, Monbosh, JHEC, JAS
Some others - Orion Marauder, Chel Grett, Guramba, Risian Corvette, Tholian Weaver