Captain
# 11
10-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdrag0n View Post
I think he is referring to the upcoming console which will have a version of RT as the operating system.

Outside of one quote from the Window General Manager there is no proff the the next Xbox will run any version of Windows 8/RT. I am hesitant to believe that the Windows General Manager knows anything going on inside the Xbox team. Not to mention the fact that theres no need for Windows 8/RT to be used on the Xbox "720", too much power for what the console needs to do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
10-27-2012, 10:45 PM
I installed Windows 8 after being a skeptic and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't if it was Windows 8 or simply new video card drivers, but STO looks much better under Win 8 than on Win 7. Frame rate is better and I see more detail, the game almost looks redesigned.

The Metro or Modern UI, I am ambivalent about at this point. The live tiles are both annoying and useful, perhaps after I've customized it with a few apps it will be more useful.

I will say that I hate the Windows store. Its a disorganized mess, there is no way to do a quick search for an item you are looking for which means you'll have to go through each category to find a particular app.

The OS runs faster than Windows 7 but not by much with a slight increase in speed when booting or shutting down.

I have only one driver issue which is with the software for my Logitech Wave Keyboard (it comes with a mouse which I don't use), the Setpoint software isn't working. I can type just fine but some of the buttons like calculator button don't work. I suspect Logitech will update drivers shortly, so I'm not concerned.

After a few days of use I can give a much more detailed review if you all want one.
"Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
Republic Veteran
# 13
10-27-2012, 11:01 PM
The reason STO and CO are not on XBox is not because of Windows 8 or microtransactions or anything of that sort. The REASON is because MMOs patch a lot. This patching is a huge problem because every console is run with an anal retentive eye turned toward copy protection. What this means is that no patch can be pushed through to the console versions of the games unless the console's manufacturer has vetted the code. Vetting the code costs money and time... time is money so that's just more money it costs them.

It's not so much that console manufacturers think malicious code will sneak through as much as it is they want to make sure there's no way to exploit the new code to perform things like buffer overflow exploits, which can be used to run pirated games, illicit homebrew, and other things they don't like.

They can have the patches ready and have to hold them back for as long as 6 months because the code hasn't been fully reviewed yet. It's much easier and cheaper just to run it on PC only. Frankly, I'd like to see an official Mac version of the game, but that won't happen. I'm not a fan of Apple, frankly I detest them, but the system is good enough and I'm sick of having to do player to player tech support for Mac users on the game.
Captain
# 14
10-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzenarimasen View Post
The reason STO and CO are not on XBox is not because of Windows 8 or microtransactions or anything of that sort. The REASON is because MMOs patch a lot. This patching is a huge problem because every console is run with an anal retentive eye turned toward copy protection. What this means is that no patch can be pushed through to the console versions of the games unless the console's manufacturer has vetted the code. Vetting the code costs money and time... time is money so that's just more money it costs them.

It's not so much that console manufacturers think malicious code will sneak through as much as it is they want to make sure there's no way to exploit the new code to perform things like buffer overflow exploits, which can be used to run pirated games, illicit homebrew, and other things they don't like.

They can have the patches ready and have to hold them back for as long as 6 months because the code hasn't been fully reviewed yet. It's much easier and cheaper just to run it on PC only. Frankly, I'd like to see an official Mac version of the game, but that won't happen. I'm not a fan of Apple, frankly I detest them, but the system is good enough and I'm sick of having to do player to player tech support for Mac users on the game.
Has nothing to do with the patching. Final Fantasy XI was on the Xbox 360 and they managed just fine (even had cross platform play). Deals can be worked out where MMOs on console can push patches through quickly.

No, its likely we wont ever see STO/CO on XBL because:

A.) Microsoft requires Xbox Live Gold to play online multiplayer games, which would increase the cost of entry into STO by $60bucks a year.

&

B.) Because Microsoft will want a cut of every transaction made through the CStore. This is the same problem that Vale ran into with Team Fortress 2 on the Xbox. They wanted to put DLC in for free and Microsoft wouldnt let them.

And yes there should be an official properly optimized version of the game for Mac.
Career Officer
# 15
10-28-2012, 03:37 PM
I've run STO and Windows 8 for the past 6 months with no problems at all. Windows 8 isn't as horrid as everyone would have you believe. If you don't like the Metro stuff, you can turn it off. Windows 8 has increased the performance of my video over Windows 7 on the same hardware.
Career Officer
# 16
10-28-2012, 03:37 PM
I've heard people call Windows 8 a lot of things over the last couple of weeks, this is the first time i've heard someone call it an xbox though.
Joined August 2008
Captain
# 17
10-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrl1 View Post
I've run STO and Windows 8 for the past 6 months with no problems at all. Windows 8 isn't as horrid as everyone would have you believe. If you don't like the Metro stuff, you can turn it off. Windows 8 has increased the performance of my video over Windows 7 on the same hardware.
So... you can stop using the Start Menu and get the old Windows 7 start menu back? Because it wasnt like that during either the Dev Preview or the Release Candidate.
Career Officer
# 18
10-28-2012, 06:34 PM
You can and you could in the Dev Preview and RC as well. Here's how: Link Also, FFXI never patched on a week-to-week basis like STO and Cryptic does. I also believe it is because of this STO will never see the light of day on a console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.

Last edited by rickeyredshirt; 10-28-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Captain
# 19
10-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeyredshirt View Post
You can and you could in the Dev Preview and RC as well. Here's how: Link Also, FFXI never patched on a week-to-week basis like STO and Cryptic does. I also believe it is because of this STO will never see the light of day on a console.
I said the Windows 7 start menu... nice try but, that is not the Window 7 styled start menu. That is just a list of all programs (akin to the Windows XP).

There was a way to get to the Windows 7 start menu in the Dev preview and RC, but it required going into the registry and tweaking a registry key. However doing that also disabled several of the enhancements that were made to the Explorer as well (including the upgraded Task Manager and the ribbon interface). You could also download a 3rd-party utility to do the same. But you should have the option, by default in the Windows Control Panel. As it is Windows 8 will bomb, because no one wants a touch based UI on a desktop or laptop computer.

Patching isnt the issue. It can and has been worked out before with Microsoft to push out quicker patches.
Commander
# 20
10-29-2012, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrl1 View Post
You're running an old build chief. MS ripped out any code pertaining to the 7 and classic start menus.

It is no longer possible to turn it off.
Closed Thread