Starfleet Veteran
# 41
10-29-2012, 09:00 AM
you are also forgetting about all the other huge dilithium cost if they keep it like it is like the doffs have been raised way up, and also all the other areas that are needing dilithium as in fleet star bases, the new reputation, the new embassy and so on and so on, also the where saying they wanted to try and help with small fleet how by any imagination does this help small fllet it doesnt, it hurts them even worse, there talking 5k dilithium alone for converting 5 blue doffs to a purple thats over half the anount of dilithium we can refine in one day, so how we supose to support out fleet starbases, the embasy and all the other also.
Survivor of Romulus
# 42
10-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Things are getting really out of hand, this is beyond stupid now, Cryptic wont lower the costs we all know that, but if they do it'll be a silly stupid amount.

Things just get worse and worse and worse.
Lieutenant
# 43
10-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmerzan View Post
you are also forgetting about all the other huge dilithium cost if they keep it like it is like the doffs have been raised way up, and also all the other areas that are needing dilithium as in fleet star bases, the new reputation, the new embassy and so on and so on, also the where saying they wanted to try and help with small fleet how by any imagination does this help small fllet it doesnt, it hurts them even worse, there talking 5k dilithium alone for converting 5 blue doffs to a purple thats over half the anount of dilithium we can refine in one day, so how we supose to support out fleet starbases, the embasy and all the other also.
by buying doff packs, I am sure it will be only a matter of time before there is a doff pack with one guaranteed purple doff (for 300+)
Commander
# 44
10-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
As Borticus already mentioned, we're in the process of evaluating Dilithium costs in general.
Whatever price you're thinking of - TRIPLE IT.

The more players on the treadmill, the more popular STO will become.
Captain
# 45
10-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
Whatever price you're thinking of - TRIPLE IT.

The more players on the treadmill, the more popular STO will become.
You will get chinese gold farmers which live to grind and that cant make a game popular .Yes it can make a game turn into a place with bots which grind dilithium with no fun.Of ocurse you already know that ....right?

8000D per day which now people should put into rep system (romulan /omega) fleet ,doff recruitiment.I have a better idea ....add content in the game that way you wont have to force people to grind 3 month for 1 piece of nothing just to make the game look like it has many things to do.This thing is already an end for those small fleets which need doffs and dilithium.

Last edited by adrianm63; 10-29-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Career Officer
# 46
10-29-2012, 10:01 AM
I have to ask why Dilithium sinks at all?

Why not Omega experience sinks?

Oh yeah, I forgot profiteering.

Really, huge Dilithium sinks sprout up across the game and we're meant to be happy with a few K shaved off some items.

Not to mentions the hellaciousness of time gating. I know they are going to be late on S8 bet come on!
Lieutenant
# 47
10-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianm63 View Post
You will get chinese gold farmers which live to grind and that cant make a game popular .Yes it can make a game turn into a place with bots which grind dilithium with no fun.Of ocurse you already know that ....right?
If Cryptic wants to go that route, they need to go all in and really push the Asian style of gameplay to the maximum. Trek fans will still play the game, and farmbot accounts add more to PWE's bottom line. I don't see any downside to this. You might lose a few players who can't keep up the pace, but that's to be expected, in fact, needed as only players with a fervent love of Trek or the ability to accept grinding gameplay as a virtue will keep this game afloat.

This is a brilliant move by Cryptic to keep everything timegated and moneygated from players. it's bold and necessary, as allowing players to get things without working hours for it is easymode. It vastly extends the life of content and keeps people on the currency hamster wheel far longer than traditional content. It's also content that is easier to create and product than things people would do just because it's "fun." Forcing players into a specific style of play is good, nay brilliant, game design.
Career Officer
# 48
10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
I am really upset. I came to ask myself "Where is my Dilithium?". After Season 6 launch I spent a few days off with STO and managed to complete the first two special projects of our small fleet's starbase alone by playing a lot of STFs on various characters. There it went. Now we are back to four players, holidays are over, and we are at 0 Dilithium Ore when we begin playing STFs. We are all subscribers and we love STFs, but now we get even more sinks and less rewards for our style of play. I can't take much more of this. We might ask ourselves "Where is my game?" soon. Especially if I am just not willing to spend extra cash for extra Dilithium. Guess I have to unsubscribe and buy Zen instead.

To be clear: Our small fleet was built around STFs. We figured we would be able to reasonably maintain a starbase, even if it would seriously drain our resources. With Dilithium requirements (and less rewards for our content of choice) like that presented in S7 as of now, our style of play becomes too hard to maintain, we will have to rethink everything. Let's just hope no one leaves.

"I am deeply concerned."
Career Officer
# 49
10-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by izdubar6 View Post
If Cryptic wants to go that route, they need to go all in and really push the Asian style of gameplay to the maximum. Trek fans will still play the game, and farmbot accounts add more to PWE's bottom line. I don't see any downside to this. You might lose a few players who can't keep up the pace, but that's to be expected, in fact, needed as only players with a fervent love of Trek or the ability to accept grinding gameplay as a virtue will keep this game afloat.

This is a brilliant move by Cryptic to keep everything timegated and moneygated from players. it's bold and necessary, as allowing players to get things without working hours for it is easymode. It vastly extends the life of content and keeps people on the currency hamster wheel far longer than traditional content. It's also content that is easier to create and product than things people would do just because it's "fun." Forcing players into a specific style of play is good, nay brilliant, game design.
To be fair, you don't give them enough credit, not only is it brilliant game design but they also managed to incorporate a structure that will fulfill their corporate responsibilities within the venerable structure of such a respected publisher as PWE. Furthermore they have laid the ground work for positive and long lasting revenue generation by exploiting a well loved and hugely popular brand IP. Stunning display from this ever improving and ambitious development team.
Career Officer
# 50
10-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Your assumption is WRONG because you fail to account one thing, prototype tech is also tradeable for Dilithium.
And in fair economic analysis, things don't have to be all equivalent.

The tradeoff for one egg can be one chicken.

The tradeoff for one sausage biscuit can be one chicken.

That doesn't make one sausage biscuit equal to an egg in value.

HOWEVER, my bigger problem here is with devs basically saying that Prototypes are worth 100k dilithium but unlike EC vendors which give a 50% return, the dilithium vendor value was a 1% return on value.

There isn't even an illusion of consistency.

I'm not talking about making STO into an economic simulator. I'm saying its economy needs to have set and fairly fixed notions of what fairness is and that shouldn't involve a lot of devs saying "Well, we felt like..." or players getting confused when they try to reverse engineer things.

There should be governing principles for these kinds of things. And digging back up the subject of novelty and power, you will have virtually guaranteed losing propositions on the C-Store and Lobi Store if items are not balanced around what people give up to acquire those items.

It doesn't need to be a real economy. It can follow an exponential curve where each little power boost costs more. But if it's inconsistent, people -- either consciously or instinctively -- will gravitate towards the better options.