Career Officer
# 21
10-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
I read the portion, however; keep in mind that these were probably old plans for STO.
Naturally. Plans change all the time, which is why I wouldn't bet the farm on no Romulan Lockboxes. But my approach to STO has always been cautious optimism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
Everything about season 7 spells Romulan lock box
Why do you say that? What I'm seeing is a brilliant setup for a Romulan mini-faction type deal where you level up ten levels then pick a side or something.
Rihannsu
# 22
10-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
What I'm seeing is a brilliant setup for a Romulan mini-faction type deal where you level up ten levels then pick a side or something.
But with a playable Romulan mini-faction it requires a new interface, new racial content, new DOFFs and DOFF missions, BOFFs and several ships. Then you would need to provide for Romulan fleets to have a Romulan embassy on the new Romulan homeworld in order to grind rep with the Romulan factions!

Or will you decide to keep the playable Romulan mini-faction fleets away from enjoying the Romulan embassy content that is available to Fed/KDF fleets?

Would the Romulan/Reman fleets get embassies on Earth or Qo'nos to grind out Fed/Vulcan/Andorian/etc, etc, etc, reputation or maybe KDF reputation grind for Klingon/Gorn/Orion/etc etc etc?

Will Romulan/Reman mini-faction fleet star bases be assaulted by Romulan/Reman fleets?

Yea, doesn't sound all that logical to me either.

The "systems" in STO have to be able to be applied to all factions - doff, reputation, fleet, etc. With the course of the storyline coming in S7, I just don't see how Cryptic can bring in Romulans as a third faction without some major changes both to the game and to the story.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-29-2012, 01:15 PM
A Romulan lockbox means NO Romulan faction. With that said..
No
No
NO
NO!
Ensign
# 24
10-29-2012, 04:11 PM
I'd rather wait and get a proper expansion or something. Heck I'm sure people would pay if given the option.

A free update with playable Romulans would be even better.

No lockboxes though. IF, and I mean IF the ships ever come over to Fed side for whatever reason I'd rather buy them outright than take my chances on a lucky dip thing.
Career Officer
# 25
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
But with a playable Romulan mini-faction it requires a new interface, new racial content, new DOFFs and DOFF missions, BOFFs and several ships. Then you would need to provide for Romulan fleets to have a Romulan embassy on the new Romulan homeworld in order to grind rep with the Romulan factions!

Or will you decide to keep the playable Romulan mini-faction fleets away from enjoying the Romulan embassy content that is available to Fed/KDF fleets?

Would the Romulan/Reman fleets get embassies on Earth or Qo'nos to grind out Fed/Vulcan/Andorian/etc, etc, etc, reputation or maybe KDF reputation grind for Klingon/Gorn/Orion/etc etc etc?

Will Romulan/Reman mini-faction fleet star bases be assaulted by Romulan/Reman fleets?

Yea, doesn't sound all that logical to me either.

The "systems" in STO have to be able to be applied to all factions - doff, reputation, fleet, etc. With the course of the storyline coming in S7, I just don't see how Cryptic can bring in Romulans as a third faction without some major changes both to the game and to the story.
Honestly, I see it probably as:

Romulan/Reman who starts at level 40. Plays ten levels. Defects to Feds or KDF. Has the extra option to fly Romulan ships.

Basically, it's a species bundled with a few ships and a handful of unique missions.

Probably more useful to think of it as a plus one approach to paid species, this time basically giving them a fifth trait that gives them extra dialogue options, access to themed stores, and ship options.

Imagine if they had done this with Bajorans. The idea would have been: pay to play a Bajoran. Get the Bajoran militia costume included in addition to Starfleet uniforms. Get a special store that sells Bajoran pistols. Get Bajoran ships. Then maybe non-Bajorans could get these things by buying the Bajoran expansion pack and grinding Bajoran rep.

Think of it like the species in WoW who come loaded with mounts, a few species specific quests, and other species specific things. In contrast with past species sales that were more like a costume.
Captain
# 26
10-29-2012, 04:40 PM
I don't think a Borg lock box is in the cards - what ship could they use - not a cube - not a sphere, not a probe - that would be too confusing in an STF.

So that just leaves the Diamond - and I believe that is being used in the upcoming space "in to the hive" STF where the borg queen has a diamond.
Career Officer
# 27
10-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
I don't think a Borg lock box is in the cards - what ship could they use - not a cube - not a sphere, not a probe - that would be too confusing in an STF.

So that just leaves the Diamond - and I believe that is being used in the upcoming space "in to the hive" STF where the borg queen has a diamond.
Assimilated Galaxy/Negh'var. Basically, always on Borg set visuals and Borg power consoles.
Captain
# 28
10-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Imagine if they had done this with Bajorans. The idea would have been: pay to play a Bajoran. Get the Bajoran militia costume included in addition to Starfleet uniforms. Get a special store that sells Bajoran pistols. Get Bajoran ships. Then maybe non-Bajorans could get these things by buying the Bajoran expansion pack and grinding Bajoran rep.

Think of it like the species in WoW who come loaded with mounts, a few species specific quests, and other species specific things. In contrast with past species sales that were more like a costume.
Thats... a good idea. I'm behind this.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 29
10-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Lockbox Andorian Ship maybe?
Career Officer
# 30
10-30-2012, 01:15 AM
you never know, the Romulan faction might be the first faction released piece by piece via lockboxes!
Joined August 2008