Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,768
# 21
10-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
I read the portion, however; keep in mind that these were probably old plans for STO.
Naturally. Plans change all the time, which is why I wouldn't bet the farm on no Romulan Lockboxes. But my approach to STO has always been cautious optimism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
Everything about season 7 spells Romulan lock box
Why do you say that? What I'm seeing is a brilliant setup for a Romulan mini-faction type deal where you level up ten levels then pick a side or something.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 939
# 22
10-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
What I'm seeing is a brilliant setup for a Romulan mini-faction type deal where you level up ten levels then pick a side or something.
But with a playable Romulan mini-faction it requires a new interface, new racial content, new DOFFs and DOFF missions, BOFFs and several ships. Then you would need to provide for Romulan fleets to have a Romulan embassy on the new Romulan homeworld in order to grind rep with the Romulan factions!

Or will you decide to keep the playable Romulan mini-faction fleets away from enjoying the Romulan embassy content that is available to Fed/KDF fleets?

Would the Romulan/Reman fleets get embassies on Earth or Qo'nos to grind out Fed/Vulcan/Andorian/etc, etc, etc, reputation or maybe KDF reputation grind for Klingon/Gorn/Orion/etc etc etc?

Will Romulan/Reman mini-faction fleet star bases be assaulted by Romulan/Reman fleets?

Yea, doesn't sound all that logical to me either.

The "systems" in STO have to be able to be applied to all factions - doff, reputation, fleet, etc. With the course of the storyline coming in S7, I just don't see how Cryptic can bring in Romulans as a third faction without some major changes both to the game and to the story.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 131
# 23
10-29-2012, 01:15 PM
A Romulan lockbox means NO Romulan faction. With that said..
No
No
NO
NO!
Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
# 24
10-29-2012, 04:11 PM
I'd rather wait and get a proper expansion or something. Heck I'm sure people would pay if given the option.

A free update with playable Romulans would be even better.

No lockboxes though. IF, and I mean IF the ships ever come over to Fed side for whatever reason I'd rather buy them outright than take my chances on a lucky dip thing.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,443
# 25
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
But with a playable Romulan mini-faction it requires a new interface, new racial content, new DOFFs and DOFF missions, BOFFs and several ships. Then you would need to provide for Romulan fleets to have a Romulan embassy on the new Romulan homeworld in order to grind rep with the Romulan factions!

Or will you decide to keep the playable Romulan mini-faction fleets away from enjoying the Romulan embassy content that is available to Fed/KDF fleets?

Would the Romulan/Reman fleets get embassies on Earth or Qo'nos to grind out Fed/Vulcan/Andorian/etc, etc, etc, reputation or maybe KDF reputation grind for Klingon/Gorn/Orion/etc etc etc?

Will Romulan/Reman mini-faction fleet star bases be assaulted by Romulan/Reman fleets?

Yea, doesn't sound all that logical to me either.

The "systems" in STO have to be able to be applied to all factions - doff, reputation, fleet, etc. With the course of the storyline coming in S7, I just don't see how Cryptic can bring in Romulans as a third faction without some major changes both to the game and to the story.
Honestly, I see it probably as:

Romulan/Reman who starts at level 40. Plays ten levels. Defects to Feds or KDF. Has the extra option to fly Romulan ships.

Basically, it's a species bundled with a few ships and a handful of unique missions.

Probably more useful to think of it as a plus one approach to paid species, this time basically giving them a fifth trait that gives them extra dialogue options, access to themed stores, and ship options.

Imagine if they had done this with Bajorans. The idea would have been: pay to play a Bajoran. Get the Bajoran militia costume included in addition to Starfleet uniforms. Get a special store that sells Bajoran pistols. Get Bajoran ships. Then maybe non-Bajorans could get these things by buying the Bajoran expansion pack and grinding Bajoran rep.

Think of it like the species in WoW who come loaded with mounts, a few species specific quests, and other species specific things. In contrast with past species sales that were more like a costume.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 26
10-29-2012, 04:40 PM
I don't think a Borg lock box is in the cards - what ship could they use - not a cube - not a sphere, not a probe - that would be too confusing in an STF.

So that just leaves the Diamond - and I believe that is being used in the upcoming space "in to the hive" STF where the borg queen has a diamond.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,443
# 27
10-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
I don't think a Borg lock box is in the cards - what ship could they use - not a cube - not a sphere, not a probe - that would be too confusing in an STF.

So that just leaves the Diamond - and I believe that is being used in the upcoming space "in to the hive" STF where the borg queen has a diamond.
Assimilated Galaxy/Negh'var. Basically, always on Borg set visuals and Borg power consoles.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,088
# 28
10-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Imagine if they had done this with Bajorans. The idea would have been: pay to play a Bajoran. Get the Bajoran militia costume included in addition to Starfleet uniforms. Get a special store that sells Bajoran pistols. Get Bajoran ships. Then maybe non-Bajorans could get these things by buying the Bajoran expansion pack and grinding Bajoran rep.

Think of it like the species in WoW who come loaded with mounts, a few species specific quests, and other species specific things. In contrast with past species sales that were more like a costume.
Thats... a good idea. I'm behind this.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 138
# 29
10-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Lockbox Andorian Ship maybe?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 427
# 30
10-30-2012, 01:15 AM
you never know, the Romulan faction might be the first faction released piece by piece via lockboxes!
Joined August 2008
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 AM.