Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
Its obvious most of the forum community here is upset with the unscrupulous ways STO earns a living off us. So lets dump some more ideas onto the devs to give them clues as to how to earn an honest living with STO instead of sky high prices, sky high grind, and lockboxes up to our eyeballs. I get that lockboxes are a necessity in their eyes, but lets give them ideas to increase the volume of little things to make money off of and less reliant on $25 ships and ridiculously low lockbox odds. I'll go first, since I just had a good idea about what would make me spend some more in STO.

Please include your ideas, and sign off on the various ideas of others put forth here so the devs see what the community thinks are good ideas.

First, Ive mentioned it before, STO needs more Star Trek Armada in it. Forget needing an entire playable faction to control ships of other factions. Let us control all the ships of STO in PvP and PvE scenarios. Let others be the foil to other fleets when they enter into defend starbase missions, protect convoys etc. Instead of the dumb AI, let it be players in the captains chair giving their opposing player a true challenge to acquire their fleet marks and the like. We have plenty of bitter solo players who love to hate on fleeters, lol, Im sure they want to be thorns in the sides of fleets acting as the enemy. I personally want to play a Romulan or Borg ship on occasion and rough up some Feds when Im feeling evil that day. Give us basic ships of each faction for this, and sell the higher end ships on the Z store. If you want your Borg tactical cube to have higher yield weapons, straight up sell weapon upgrades for low prices that will sell in massive volumes. I say sell NPC ship power since they arent playable factions (yet) and we cant grind up careers to upgrade them like the playable factions can. Your Experience as a ruthless enemy can buy you ship upgrades too. STO already has the ships, give us control of all of them and make a little profit there doing it.

My new idea: Ive always said this game needs more focus on our crews as family. What if instead of walking around as our captains gathering around a silly crafting "table" at Memory Alpha we also took control of our various dept head BOs and THEY were the ones doing the crafting? What do we need control of our BOs bodies for? It will be part of building their careers too. Most of us spend as much time crafting the look of our BOs as our captains, and treat them as family, yet other players never see our BOs hardly. Lets make a name for them in Starfleet as well while still serving under their captain with the name of their ship over their heads so players know where they serve. We all want our BOs to be as popular as our captains. Its obviously been mentioned in the first officer system that we want to promote our BOs to captains of other ships. Lets start building their careers too as fun gameplay leadup to their eventual promotion to the big chair.

So, take my Chief Engineer. He crafts ship hull and weapons upgrades. Im envisioning overhauling Memory Alpha to be more specific in its crafting layout. Where there are separate rooms acting as labs (that look and feel like real labs) that each career type officer must go into to craft specific things. And for the money maker, we make ship interiors REALLY useful. Its been mentioned they want to give us the ability to make our own interiors foundry style. Lets really make them useful and also attract other players to your interior. When players know other players have a reason and a need to have their interiors visited by others, they will spend (optionally) to add to its functionality and interior design.

Starships should now have crafting characteristics added to each of them. On a starship you will have to research and gather the crafting items. Each starship will have a default capacity for this. For instance, maybe a ship can only research 3 projects at a time. For convenience, you can pay to increase this capacity to 5-10+ projects at a time. Once you have finished collecting all the items for a project, you must take the projects to Memory Alpha to complete them at the labs there. Memory Alpha labs can complete all mark items. For convenience, you can buy the ability to complete lower range mark items on board your starship in your labs, and optionally pay to craft midlevel items at your fleet's starbase labs (where only you take advantage of the starbase crafting ability, after you helped your fleet build the lab rooms). If you want the convenience to craft the highest mark items at your Tier 5 starbase, you can optionally pay to "hire" Memory Alpha research teams to come to your starbase and complete 5+ high end items. Research teams are like fleet modules, you need one module/team per high end mark XII+ item.

The same idea can apply to a science starship. Perhaps there are medical missions that require you to hospitalize patients from a planet. By default, your ship can hospitalize say 500 patients onboard. You can complete missions with this standard amount. Optionally, you can pay to increase the sick bay capacity of your starship to accommodate more patients. So when you happen upon a cluster mission that needs your sick bay, the more patients you can serve, the bigger the loot reward paid out to you, XP, etc. Optional convenience and a bigger loot net for a price.

Prices for this stuff should stay small. $1 here $2 there. You are going for volume sales here, not price gouging. If the prices are cheap, each starship on an account is going to pull in a few bucks here and there because this system does require per ship sales (not account unlocks). The reason its per starship is that players will want to customize each starship interior differently than the other. Maybe they fully equip one ship, two ships, or their entire fleet of ships. Keep the prices small and honest and players will keep coming back for more when prices are reasonable for vanity items and convenience.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Captain
# 2
10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
The reason controlling and walking around as your BOs is important is because your officers have conferences to attend, lectures to teach, and visits aboard player ships to boost their ships stats with your expertise. This game can still feel very lonely at times. To keep social zones social, your BOs have to attend the occasional conference to earn Experience. As the Engineer BO gains experience, he can eventually spend it as Expertise when he boosts the passive stats of ships he comes aboard to make a ship better. After your BO has maxed the stats of your ships, and maxed his experience, he?s going to be in demand. Other players will want him to give lectures to boost the experience of their BOs. I imagine that there are lecture halls at starbases. Other players will take control of their BO to bring them to the lecture. They will literally come in and sit their toon in a chair which activates their XP boost eligibility. The lecture giving BOs will queue up and one by one for two real time minutes, those lecture giving BOs stand at the podium and all attending BOs at the lecture sitting down gain experience for every lecture they sit in on for a maximum XP boost cap per day. Maybe like 2 lectures a day. The lecture givers get Experience for teaching once they themselves have maxed out their individual career tiers, and the more in attendance during that 2 minutes, the more XP that lecture giver gets. Imagine the laughs in chat as the lecture givers pretend to teach or say whatever silly thing to role play. It builds community in a funny way. New commanding officers in the early ranks will want to invite your BOs to come aboard their ship interior to increase their stats. They send your captain offers in the form of EC and or tradable items. The highest bidder wins your services. When you accept the loot offer, your BO accepts their bridge invite, you come aboard, look around and see what they?ve done with their interior, chat a bit, and then you make your BO walk up to a few active consoles in their engineering rooms to activate the performance boost. Its like inviting Geordi LaForge of the Enterprise to come aboard your ship and give your ship and engines a tuneup. Again, builds community, and it?s a fun variation on crafting. To make money, sell BO costume slots. Players will want to look sharp when giving or attending a lecture. Maybe sell BO tools in the Z store, a special engineering kit that grants bigger boosts when your BO visits ships and grants you bigger loot offers for your services.

Lastly Cryptic, if you want to make long lasting honest money from your customers, you need to deliver better quality interiors. Enough of the lazy interiors where our toons feel like GI Joes in a giant Barbie house where none of the furniture really fits and nothing really feels realistic to the IP. Star Trek is a AAA IP, treat it like one. Players will be more encouraged to spend money in game when the interiors and world feel more realistic. Realistic as in the quality youd see on an actual show or movie set. You want high end payers, deliver high end Star Trek immersion. Be the Richard Branson Virgin company of MMOs. If people want to pay for first class in a first class MMO, make first class knock their socks off. The stuff getting approved lately would never get approved by someone with a real eye for Star Trek accuracy and attention to detail, such as myself. Once again I have to question the quality of Dan Stahl?s EPness. This game can deliver buttloads of money. Treat it with respect and stop disrespecting your customers with lazy interiors where both factions get the same interior slightly dressed and colored differently and tons of dilithium paid for crappy potted plants in a fleet starbase project. If your staff on hand cant deliver AAA quality interiors, find people who can if you want this game to impress and keep hauling in the money. And deliver AAA immersion for fair prices or we will all eventually move to a title that will.

And finally, attention to detail, attention to detail, attention to detail, leads to profit upon profit upon profit.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Video games are about repetitive gameplay that is fun. The repetitive gameplay that is fun in STO is space combat. The best way to maximize space combat is PVP, given the current state of AI technology. Ergo Cryptic should focus on ways of making PVP fun and accessible to all levels and skills of players. Secondly, Cryptic should focus on more space STFs, and add a variety of enemies, not just Borg. And tough enemies rather than simply mass blobs of trash spawns like some of the Fleet Missions.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
10-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Cryptic should get a license from Mr. Manthei to sell the awesome soundtrack on iTunes.
Captain
# 5
10-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcorrino View Post
Video games are about repetitive gameplay that is fun. The repetitive gameplay that is fun in STO is space combat. The best way to maximize space combat is PVP, given the current state of AI technology. Ergo Cryptic should focus on ways of making PVP fun and accessible to all levels and skills of players. Secondly, Cryptic should focus on more space STFs, and add a variety of enemies, not just Borg. And tough enemies rather than simply mass blobs of trash spawns like some of the Fleet Missions.
So do you endorse my Armada concept to encourage many more into PvP when they can control any faction ship they want to play as?
Career Officer
# 6
10-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Inertia. As long as they are making money on the easy to implement grinding crap that you hate, they have no reason to change anything. If 'we' want better, you're gonna have to get people to stop buying lockbox keys and etc.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Lt. Commander
# 7
10-22-2012, 09:59 PM
You are breaching bro, nothing is going to change and if i don't like the S7 changes iam done, ive held on longer than i had thought. Its just getting to the point that i just don't feel it and it is just an endless grind, nothing meaningful. At this point i would welcome seeing Cryptic give up their licensing rights instead of beating a dead horse that is going nowhere. The Continued plague that is Star Trek gaming continues.
Captain
# 8
10-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Bump for more feedback
Rihannsu
# 9
10-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
Its obvious most of the forum community here is upset with the unscrupulous ways STO earns a living off us. [...]
Dude, seriously, they are making am honest living with this game. They entertain us brilliantly, which is their business.

I am fine with the lockboxes, especially since they have improved them such that you always get something useful out of them. I am fine with the grinding - if I don't want to grind, I don't. I am fine with the prices - I can easily decide not to spend anything if I don't want to.

The only real issue I have are the limited payment options. They really need automatic debit transfer back.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Career Officer
# 10
10-23-2012, 11:51 PM
How about micro transactions that are actually micro?

Two examples come to mind:

1) Quad cannons FX. For a modest 100 Zen, unlock the Quad FX for all dual and dual heavy cannons per character, and for 1000 Zen unlock the effects account wide.

2)Ship designations. For 100 Zen unlock the ISS, SS, etc, designation for all ships on a single character, for 1000 Zen unlock them account wide.

These are things that seem overly cheap, but that's the point. People can grind dil for them during casual play. Don't forget, the Zen that are exchanged for the Dil still have to be bought by someone first, so its not "free".

I bet little cosmetic options like this, with options for character specific and account wide unlocks would be extremely popular and people would grind DIl for it, Dil that gets them Zen that had to be paid for. Imagine if you could alter the model of your hi tech gun to look like a TOS phaser? Or maybe instead of double tapping your combadge they could sell a per character and account wide unlock of your captain and boffs pulling out communicators, opening them and requesting to be "beamed up" ?

So many ways to generate revenue from cosmetic options, why is none of that being done?