Empire Veteran
# 11
10-29-2012, 07:15 AM
are you out of your mind ? more death penalties no thanks
If only they fix Cloaking bugg *new message BOOM decloacked.
Captain
# 12
10-29-2012, 07:27 AM
All they need to do is make it so if you get blown up, you fail the mission you have to restart the current stage of whatever mission you are on, and you get kicked back to sector space.

For those who seek risk in the game, that should do it.
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Commander
# 13
10-29-2012, 08:03 AM
No thanks. I play this game to have fun, not to be annoyed by unnecessary death penalties any time an enemy gets off a lucky shot. Especially considering we have ships in the game with the ability to "super-crit".

And it would just be lame in PvP. While their ships were "healing", people would just go hide. Not fun for them or for the people trying to fight them.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Lieutenant
# 14
10-29-2012, 08:07 AM
As a human being with free will, you are able to impose any death penalty you want on yourself every time you die. You can delete some piece of gear from your inventory or ship, delete the ship itself, or even delete the character. You can be as mild or harsh as you want, without imposing your wishes on the entire playerbase.
Captain
# 15
10-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Don't like the DP? Here's an idea:

When you die, Log out, back in, delete your character and then roll a new one, Rather than trying to impose your random ideas on others.

There... Solved.

In the future, look through the archives... That would save you alot of theese posts.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 16
10-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
I think things are fine just the way they are.

But I don't PvP.
I don't PVP either and I think missions already take too long to complete. After your ship
is destroyed there are glitches that cause the level not to load properly meaning you have to leave the system to reload it. This game is being played by adults with lives to live. Time penalties are a waste of my time. I already wish travelling between sectors was faster and easier.
Captain
# 17
10-29-2012, 08:47 AM
To the OP

I see and understand your intent. No problem. But here it is.

In the real world, if STO could be real, which it can't and never will be, death is final. No one would ever send less than a fleet of ships to do a mission that STO sends 1 new Lieutenant in a Miranda with a green crew to accomplish. And the ship leaves dry dock without the capabilities ALL ships in cannon Star Trek have. All ships have tractor beams. In STO it's a Boff skill. All Boff powers should be dependent on the ships equipment. We make it an officer skill. The sheer mass of metal required to build these star ships, the resources, should make losing even 1 a blow to the factions wallet.

Further, ship vs ship, all tech being equal, the ration for wins and losses should be nearly 1:1 unless there is a clear tech advantage. Getting to fire on an uncloaked unshielded ship should be a near kill. Not here. Fire on an unshielded target nothing happens but their shield goes up and battle ensues. Decloak and alpha in a Real World situation would be a kill every time.

Zerging may suck, but this is a game. Want it more difficult? Do what noobs do. Refuse to heal ship or character injuries while playing on advanced or elite difficulty. Get so many injuries you can no longer harm space dust. That should solve your concern.
Just say no to ARC
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
10-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Adding harsh death penalties to normal mode would make it a different game. One that would be a far worse experience for casual players. It would be the equivalent of Star Wars: Galaxies NGE and would, imo, lead to the abandonment of the game enmasse. /Nostradamus
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Why is that ?
EvE Online has a harsh death penalty. When you get blown up in EvE, your ship is destroyed, permantley. You have to buy another, and buy fittings for it. Also..if your pod (your toon) gets destroyed, you die. Better hope you have an updated clone, or all those months you spent training are gone.

Harsh enough for ya? Points--> EvE Online.
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
10-29-2012, 09:47 AM
if your looking for more space sim then arcade then plat Eve. its long, expensive and time consuming, but when you get it right gratifing.

I flick betwen eve and sto for a change. Sto is fine at the moment. i like the fact that the more you die the longer its takes to rez.

Maybe you could add on elite modes that when you have damage you dont repaire then the next death the damage gets worse ie minor to major then to critical to eventually you cant do squat.