Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 902
# 21
10-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velktra View Post
No thanks. I play this game to have fun, not to be annoyed by unnecessary death penalties any time an enemy gets off a lucky shot.
This.

I even play everything on normal. If I permanently died everytime I blew up, I would leave STO post haste. If you want to die permanently, delete a toon as others have said. For me, STO is supposed to be somewhat mindless entertainment to destress from the very real tragedies going on in real life.

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 161
# 22
10-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Oh, this thread again.

Joined August 2009
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 155
# 23
10-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
It would drastically change the way people play
No... I disagree that ridiculous death penalties will cause people to suddenly get smarter about the way they play.

Dumb people will stay dumb and complain more...

Though something tells me that this is more about punishing dumb people than adding anything positive to the game soooo... yeah.

Fun thread but the chances of them adding this to the game are about the same as them adding you as a NPC in the game to teach basic game mechanics... not ever going to happen... ever.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,457
# 24
10-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Meh.

Losing xp in PvE is a decent alternative in my opinion. It forces the player to reconsider the situation and do something different.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165
# 25 ignore ships destruction
10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
The OP is right about some things here.
-people do not really care if their ship gets destroyed, why? Because with one click you essentially get a new one.
unless im mistaken, in all star trek series, a ship being destroyed is a VERY serious matter.

more severe death penalties might make people upset about the higher difficulties.
instead of making ships blow up everytime there hull is low, make them untargetable. let them have say 1% hull, no shields, and the usual on fire, heavily damaged graphics. Then require the person whos ship is damaged to either warp to ESD for repairs or use some of those crit/major/minor components to repair the ship.

THEN! lets say they get a critically damaged system. this should be some type of visual affect that you can see, like a hull breach with atmosphere leaking and part of your hull exposed/hull plating missing that reduces your hull points. or maybe a damaged nacelle leaking that reduces your warp speed. The point is, these injuries should not be repaired anywhere but a space dock, and they should take some time. NOT i repeat NOT days or hours. but maybe 30 minutes or 15 minutes. This way people might take more caution in how they manuver their ship and how they build it.

and for all of you who i gurantee will hate on my idea, this should be for the advanced / elite difficulties, NOTNOTNOT for normal.
Captain Moe
U.S.S. Prometheus
Fleet Multi Vector Advanced Escort
Resistance is futile
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 107
# 26
10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Death Penalty...not gonna happen...to many peeps know how to "adjust" and "stack" their consoles so thier ships turn into "1shot" killing machines...Not to mention Ground PvP would be a joke...well, more than it alrdy is...

Its a Dev issue and they refuse to address the issues with PvP...

Unless you are doing STFs...PvE dying is...unheard of...at the VA level...well unless you leveled in 3 days and do not have a clue how you did that...NOW...you have to learn how to play the game...but the dying will soon end and you can get on with your Star Base grinding.

my 2ec's worth
"Sips her PWE Koolaide and looks at alllll the goodies in the Z store"
Badname Betty (PvP...PvE...STF...Trophy Hunter...Latnium Collector...Federation)
Commander Morgana (PvP...PvE...STF...KDF)
1000 day vet and LTS
STO Join date: 7 Feb 2010
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 131
# 27
10-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
The OP is right about some things here.
-people do not really care if their ship gets destroyed, why? Because with one click you essentially get a new one.
unless im mistaken, in all star trek series, a ship being destroyed is a VERY serious matter.

more severe death penalties might make people upset about the higher difficulties.
instead of making ships blow up everytime there hull is low, make them untargetable. let them have say 1% hull, no shields, and the usual on fire, heavily damaged graphics. Then require the person whos ship is damaged to either warp to ESD for repairs or use some of those crit/major/minor components to repair the ship.

THEN! lets say they get a critically damaged system. this should be some type of visual affect that you can see, like a hull breach with atmosphere leaking and part of your hull exposed/hull plating missing that reduces your hull points. or maybe a damaged nacelle leaking that reduces your warp speed. The point is, these injuries should not be repaired anywhere but a space dock, and they should take some time. NOT i repeat NOT days or hours. but maybe 30 minutes or 15 minutes. This way people might take more caution in how they manuver their ship and how they build it.

and for all of you who i gurantee will hate on my idea, this should be for the advanced / elite difficulties, NOTNOTNOT for normal.
I dont get it..If that is the experience you want playing a game, go play EvE..This game will never be what you want. I dont understand why people play a game, that obviously isnt for them.

Furthermore..i dont understand why people think that they can go change a game mechanic like that so far into a game..People need to understand that this game isnt in BETA anymore, yet everyone treats it like it is..
Lieutenant
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 69
# 28
10-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonner View Post
I dont get it..If that is the experience you want playing a game, go play EvE..
They dont have to go anywhere because they dont really want that type of experience. Proof? Actions speak louder than words. They can already delete an item, or their ship, or even their character when they die if they really wanted that kind of experience. The fact that they arent doing those things proves that they dont really want it.

Last edited by l3dz3p85; 10-29-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,705
# 29
10-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
I think you're over analyzing this too much.

Making something increasingly difficult and frustrating does not necessarily make it fun, just more darn annoying, besides it won't work in STO.

The game design is quirky and arcade'ish at best. The NPC's are just plain awful and they don't adapt to the player play style.

STO version of an end game dungeon is making the enemies increasingly hard to kill but increasing their HP to gazillion percent and making thier invisible Plasma Torp hit you for 999999999999999999999999999999999999999% DMG.

No skills involved
No Tactics
No Nothing, but a dummied down opponent. Pew pew pew pew fire back pew pew pew.

For Ground:

Ever played the game F.E.A.R? How enemies adapt / very basic but ingenuis

Ever played TERRA Online? Skills and combat system is unmatched / second to none

Ever played Bridge Commander? The space sim, while not revolutionary, it captures the essence of Trek Combat. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN !!!!!!!!!!

While your idea is great an awesome, it just simply too advance for the simplicity of this game. In regards to PvP, hmm? Dunno, does STO have PvP anymore -
Don't forget the Borg Power Walk/ Run as well!

Funny looking and frustrating.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 131
# 30
10-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
They dont have to go anywhere because they dont really want that type of experience. Proof? Actions speak louder than words. They can already delete an item, or their ship, or even their character when they die if they really wanted that kind of experience. The fact that they arent doing those things proves that they dont really want it.
Well..you are absolutley right there. Gee, i wonder why they are not doing these things themselves, and instead are whining to have the cryptic team make it happen for them..
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 PM.