Captain
# 1 Borg Set Update
10-25-2012, 02:01 AM
I find it amusing that they are modifying the borg set to force us to use the borg shield. I also find it amusing that they are removing the assimilated module from the borg set. But my absolute biggest laugh came when I saw what Stahl had to say as the reasoning why:

"The fact that players were capable of benefiting from the 2- and 3-piece bonuses of the Borg Space Set, while using something other than the Assimilated Regenerative Shield Array that was intended to be part of that set, led to an unintended synergy that was never part of the original intended design."

Roughly translated: they didn't expect us to be creative in taking what they gave us and making it better/coming up with new ways to use it.

And now we are being punished for that creativity with these changes to the Borg set.

I know for a fact that a lot of people run the MACO Shield/Deflector + Borg Engine/Module setup, which gives you the two piece bonus from both sets (I happen to be one of them). I also know of people that run the Borg Deflector/Engine/Assimilated Module, and MACO shield. 3 piece bonus with a shield that is worlds better. After these upcoming changes, they will need to find new ways to do things. Myself included. I'll probably cave and just use the full MACO set, and get that POS graviton beam, or do what they intended and run the full borg set again. Especially since they FINALLY fixed the shield regen proc.

However these new "restrictions" (even stahl called them restrictions) will greatly reduce the creativity we can have with combining sets and builds, and force us to adhere to a more vanilla and downright boring full set combos. Granted the KHG set is still hands down the best space set in existence (except the shield... just can't bring myself to call it anything past good, unlike the MACO shield which is fkin amazing... KHG shield regens too slow and doesn't have that wonderful proc), so anyone running that probably won't care (basically my KDF toons), but the removal of the two piece MACO two piece Borg/MACO shield three piece Borg actually will hurt a lot of feds.

Now if they updated the MACO set to give us something actually DECENT as the 3rd piece reward, then I will consider it all good (granted the MACO set is already great, but that graviton beam is like the KHG shield. Actually it's worse, I can't even bring myself to call it anything past bleh). OR keep it as is, only reduce that graviton beam's CD to something muuuuch less, like 30 seconds.

Irony: for once there is an update that shafts the feds but leaves the KDF mostly untouched. *Looks outside for the meteor that will end the world*

Ok, sorry, just wanted to get that out, half amused half annoyed rant over. Feel free to take this post and trash it inside and out and upside down and sideways.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.

Last edited by hereticknight085; 10-25-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
10-25-2012, 02:12 AM
I think it's a real shame - was playing earlier, with the Omega set, I finished that instance feeling like I'd be MORE than happy if I never played an STF again. It's only my personal opinion, but the Omega set sucks.

But not as much as the Borg do - I hate them. The only saving grace of fighting them was knowing that the 'old' Borg three-piece + MACO shield meant that the CONSTANT, relentless, stupid plasma-fire mega-spam and shield drain were manageable.

Saying that, there is a lesson in this - don't post ship setups anymore. The message is that the Dev's will mega-nerf them if we do.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 3
10-25-2012, 02:13 AM
The Borg shield wouldn't be that bad at all if:

a) MACO wasn't still overwhelmingly better than anything else in the game, if only for the sheer amount of set-bonus-like crap tacked onto it that you get just for having it on;

b) It had a higher set of [Cap] mods. The difference between the Borg shield and MACO is a flat -1,500 less on the Borg, this adds up to a lot by the end of a game.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 4
10-25-2012, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
The Borg shield wouldn't be that bad at all if:

a) MACO wasn't still overwhelmingly better than anything else in the game, if only for the sheer amount of set-bonus-like crap tacked onto it that you get just for having it on;

b) It had a higher set of [Cap] mods. The difference between the Borg shield and MACO is a flat -1,500 less on the Borg, this adds up to a lot by the end of a game.
I beg to differ on your first point. The KHG mkXII set is hellishly better for fighting with (again minus the shield, it's not nearly as good). In fact, tbh the only really good thing the MACO set has is that it's shield is just stupidly awesome. Granted the relays are nice, but other than that, it's got great visuals, and can tank decently... but again, not that overwhelmingly awe inspiring.

As for your second point, I agree. That borg shield has a max cap of what, 6200? Even with my skills I can only get it up to maybe 8000. Add in my consoles and that brings it up to about 9k. Whereas with my MACO shield I can get it up to 11k easy. To say nothing of the KHG shield. But if you gave the borg shield a higher capacity, with the rate with which that thing regens, PLUS the 3 piece set bonus, it would be beyond broken. But hella fun.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Captain
# 5
10-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Quote:
True, but the borg shield has higher reg value. And it will be improved on mx XII further. It is still one of the best (if not best) reg shield around. The difference is, people only look on the cap, and do not see what reg shields allow you (at a cost of course).
Captain
# 6
10-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
I beg to differ on your first point. The KHG mkXII set is hellishly better for fighting with (again minus the shield, it's not nearly as good). In fact, tbh the only really good thing the MACO set has is that it's shield is just stupidly awesome. Granted the relays are nice, but other than that, it's got great visuals, and can tank decently... but again, not that overwhelmingly awe inspiring.

As for your second point, I agree. That borg shield has a max cap of what, 6200? Even with my skills I can only get it up to maybe 8000. Add in my consoles and that brings it up to about 9k. Whereas with my MACO shield I can get it up to 11k easy. To say nothing of the KHG shield. But if you gave the borg shield a higher capacity, with the rate with which that thing regens, PLUS the 3 piece set bonus, it would be beyond broken. But hella fun.
Sorry, I wasn't talking about the set, just the shield. That said I've heard people using the CDR creatively so IDK.

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 7
10-25-2012, 03:00 AM
on the other hand, feds get the KHG set and KDF get the maco set...ground and space i think i read there. they are called adapted KHG etc.
so i'll be grinding yet for another set^^ with atleast 3 toons.
Go pro or go home
Captain
# 8
10-25-2012, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
on the other hand, feds get the KHG set and KDF get the maco set...ground and space i think i read there. they are called adapted KHG etc.
so i'll be grinding yet for another set^^ with atleast 3 toons.
MACO shields + Leech console
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html
Captain
# 9
10-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verlaine11 View Post
MACO shields + Leech console
Yeah, this plus siphons/Tyken's-stacking was what I was worried about when it came to making MACO universal

Captain
# 10
10-25-2012, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Yeah, this plus siphons/Tyken's-stacking was what I was worried about when it came to making MACO universal
I saw this as soon as they said that they were doing it. Which is why I said feds got shafted and KDF didn't. Cuz tbh, it doesn't matter how good the KHG set is, the fact that the feds can use it now pales and dies in comparison to the fact that the KDF can now do Plasmonic Leech + MACO shields.

I wonder how long it will take the devs to realize this. Or if they care for that matter.