Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 152
# 1 Looking to better my Escort
10-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Hey everyone,

I've been playing STO for literally just over a year now, and have been focused a lot on my Eng characters. But lately, I've been playing around with my Escort a lot, and have actually starting to take part in PVP a lot more. With that being said, I was hoping some of you would have some insight as to what areas of my build I could improve on.

In terms of my Boff layout below, I have it set up to help keep my shields up. So far it has worked out great, and I have been able to take a huge beating considering it's an Escort.

Here's what I have

Defiant Retrofit

Quantity 3 - Antiproton Dual Heavy Cannons Mk XI [Borg] Purple
Qauntity 1 - Quantum Torpedo Mk XI [Borg] Purple

Quantity 2 - Antiproton Turret Mk XI [Borg] Purple
Qauntity 1 - Quantum Torpedo Mk XI [Borg] Purple

[Assimilated Regenerative Shield Array]

[Assimilated Deflector Array]

[Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines]

Engineering Consoles
2x Console - Engineering - EPS Flow Regulator Mk XI Blue
1x [Console - Universal - Cloaking Device]

Science Consoles
2x Console - Science - Shield Emitter Amplifier Mk XI Purple

Tactical Consoles
4x Antiproton Mag Regulator Mk XI Blue

Bridge Officer Layout

Commander Tactical Station
Tactical Team 1
Cannon Rapid Fire 1
Attack Pattern Beta 2 **Thinking of changing this out, not sure to what though**
Attack Pattern Omega 3

Lt. Commander Tactical Station
High Yield Torpedo 1
Cannon Scatter Volley 1
Cannon Scatter Volley 2

Ensign Tactical Station
Tactical Team 1

Lieutenant Engineering Station
Emergency Power to Shields 1
Emergency Power to Shields 2

Lieutenant Science Station
Hazard Emitters 1
Transfer Shield Strength 2

I hope I covered all the details lol.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you may have.

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,192
# 2
10-29-2012, 02:07 AM
I can give you one small tip, regardless of your other choices. No idea which doffs you are using, but you could use:

2x purple damage control engineers

You could then change your engineering captain to:

Emergency Power to Weapons I + Emergency Power to Shields II

That will give you the opportunity of having 100% uptime of both (except for a small chance that it does not proc) whiel giving you extra power.

Now you just adjust your power settings to reflect that, and you can easily have 125 weapons /125 shields, which improves your surviability. Considering you use/like borg regen shields, those work best at 125 shields, so it'S nice synergy for you.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 531
# 3
10-29-2012, 02:29 AM
There's a small chance neither will happen: the larger probability is that one or neither will happen: which means the majority of the time there'll be a gap of at least 5 seconds where your weapons & shields aren't very effective.
If you go this route, I'd advise getting 3 or more, but there'll always be times where one or none proc and you're left with relatively ineffective shields and weapons.
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,192
# 4
10-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Not really. I'm using two such DOFFs for a long time, and I rarely see that it does not work. Of course 3 are best, but there is so many useful DOFFs. Do not forget that you have 2 attempts to reduce the cooldown when you cycle two EptX powers. One attempt is when you hit the first power, the other is 15s later. There is low chance that it fails. It's like 4x 35% chance to reduce the cooldown. And if I remember my math lessons well, its over 80% (1-(0,65)^4) that it happens.

If I were to invest 3 Doffs, I would get Aux to Bat I, with 3 purple technicians.

Last edited by dalnar83; 10-29-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 531
# 5
10-29-2012, 02:54 AM
The maths is pretty horrific, actually: one purple has a 35% chance to reduce cooldown by 30%, or 10 seconds for emergency power to X. With two, they both need to tick to get it so you can cycle the power. Chances of that are 12.25%. There's a 45.5% percent chance one ticks, leaving you 5 seconds short. And there's a 42.25% chance neither does, meaning you're screwed for 15 seconds.
Unless you've got energy credits to burn, its a risky set-up, imo.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 531
# 6
10-29-2012, 02:57 AM
That is a point I had not considered, 2 em power to x's going off. Didn't occur to me. Hmmmm. Where's my pen & paper.
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,192
# 7
10-29-2012, 02:57 AM
With 2 DOFFs, you have 4 tries to reduce the cooldown, not 2. And there is 82% or so chance that at least one will proc.

Emergency Power to Shields - 2 attempts to reduce the cooldown

15s later Emergency Power to Weapons - 2 attempts to reduce the cooldown

The cooldown of Emergency Power to Shields is reduced by 15s and is ready


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 PM.