Captain
# 31
11-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Since you say it's canon, can you point to any canon episode or anything else where this is mentioned, especiall the "battleship" part?
------------------
Sure I can it's easy

Strict Cannon is the star mechanics approved by the creator
of star trek Gene R , I'n tos , games board and pc

Cannon is tv shows and movies after his death

Soft cannon is everything else including STO , wiki , cartoons ect

Official starship Race ,limits ,styles ,types ect are I'n the FASA
starship tactical combat simulator and it's companion
Modules which create the entire startrek universe
From ship mechanics warp speed empire sizes fleet strengths
Maps ect.

All of this was created with Gene Rs approval

Find a starship construction manual
A tactical combat simulator
A Fed , Klingon,Romulan ship recognition Manual

They may be online or for sale on Ebay
A better system has not been made by anyone yet
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci
Captain
# 32
11-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
This is untrue when it come to the game as the Neg. is a BB and the Galaxy is a DN(dreadnought) a lighter class BB.

look here

http://staryards.com/
I was referencing this game.

I honestly don't care about external sources, since it was made obvious from very early on that this game doesn't follow canon very well. So I am simply going off of what is in game.

The Galaxy is an Exploration Cruiser. Here's the STAR TREK ONLINE (only source I am referencing) wiki link (btw, I assumed we were referring to the c-store version, since comparing a captain ship to a brig general ship is just silly):

http://www.stowiki.org/Exploration_Cruiser_Retrofit
http://www.stowiki.org/Fleet_Explora...uiser_Retrofit

The Neg'vhar is a Heavy Battlecruiser. Here's again, the STAR TREK ONLINE (again, only source I am referencing) wiki link (again assuming it's the c-store/fleet variant):

http://www.stowiki.org/Fleet_Negh%27...Battle_Cruiser

You will very clearly see that the Galaxy is called an EXPLORATION cruiser, and the Neg'vhar is a HEAVY BATTLECRUISER. Hence where my statement comes from. Other sources that are not of this game are not my concern in reference to my comment.

And in reference to this post, come on. You don't need to turn well for exploration, which is what the Galaxy was designed for. And it uses those amazing phaser arrays, so again, turning was not much of a necessity. The Neg'vhar was designed for combat. Almost exclusively that. And to be able to fight well, you need to be able to turn at least moderately well, which is what the neggy can do.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 33
11-03-2012, 12:28 AM
The Galaxy is actually a DN and the Neg a BB if we go with cannon a criuser in the TNG era is the Akira class .The Mranda is a Heavy Criuser not a frigate and was made to replace the Constition classes as it takes less personal to operate.

I know what you are saying but the Neg can out turn the Gal anytime as I got both.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Career Officer
# 34
11-03-2012, 01:03 AM
So, a solution to the Galaxy and Odyssey is to reduce the cd on saucer seperation?

And if/when the Romulans become player controlled, what turn rate will the Warbird have since it should be far worse than the galaxy?
Captain
# 35
11-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
The Galaxy is actually a DN and the Neg a BB if we go with cannon a criuser in the TNG era is the Akira class .The Mranda is a Heavy Criuser not a frigate and was made to replace the Constition classes as it takes less personal to operate.

I know what you are saying but the Neg can out turn the Gal anytime as I got both.
but not in this game...is this so hard to understand? this game is not canon (thats how it is spelled)
It is based on star trek.

also the 30 years after the last show/film ship classifications could have changed too. Also i highly doubt the galaxy-r (mind not the galaxy-x) is anywhere referred to as DN.
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
# 36
11-03-2012, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
------------------
Sure I can it's easy

Strict Cannon is the star mechanics approved by the creator
of star trek Gene R , I'n tos , games board and pc

Cannon is tv shows and movies after his death

Soft cannon is everything else including STO , wiki , cartoons ect

Official starship Race ,limits ,styles ,types ect are I'n the FASA
starship tactical combat simulator and it's companion
Modules which create the entire startrek universe
From ship mechanics warp speed empire sizes fleet strengths
Maps ect.

All of this was created with Gene Rs approval

Find a starship construction manual
A tactical combat simulator
A Fed , Klingon,Romulan ship recognition Manual

They may be online or for sale on Ebay
A better system has not been made by anyone yet
FASA? Seriously?

No.

Beyond the shows and movies, nothing is considered canon.
Besides there are TWO boardgames that were made during his lifetime.
Both have totally different backstories, hostories and technologies.
Based on your logic they should both be canon even though that's not remotely possible.

I have all the FASA material except the Star Trek IV addon.
And it contradicts canon in so many places it's not even funny.
The timeline is totally wrong and is based on the "Spac Flight Chronology" according to which the events of "Errand of Mercy" take place in 2207.
Klingons developed "fusions" of Klingons and humans to better deal with them, even though in canon Trek it was an accident etc.
Accelerator cannons? Never shown or mentioned in canon.
The Enterprise-C was supposedly an "Alaska class" ship.

Besides, Cryptic has a license for everything that is considered canon short of the Animated series and the Abrams movie.
Why is nothing from FASA in thsi game?
Where is the D-10 Riskadh?
Where is the "Royal Sovereign" class?
Nowhere because they are not canon.
Career Officer
# 37
11-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
thats silly really,
Seems there's no point in debating with you when you're refuting my point with this incredibly hard argument.
Bye, I'm out.
Captain
# 38
11-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Hooray another Galaxy waambulance thread, complete with total lack of interest in the galaxy's canon mission statement or classification. Its so hilarious that the fans of the most peaceful and true-to-Roddenbury's-vision ship want it to be such a fighter.

What would I do without Dontdrunkimshoot saying that phaser strips are teh best weapons evar!!!11!!

Someone even called it a dreadnaught even though it was never deemed so in the series or even soft canon.

Connie Refit for tier 5 2012.
Empire Veteran
# 39
11-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Seems there's no point in debating with you when you're refuting my point with this incredibly hard argument.
Bye, I'm out.
if you stopped reading there, well, i don't have a nice thing to say about you. because right after i said what you quoted, i explained why i though that was silly.
the pvp build and help thread
gateway links(should actually work now) -->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 40
11-03-2012, 08:36 AM
The Galaxy Class starship is described in the ST Encyclopedia as a long range "Explorer-type". It is designed for exploration, first contact, and if necessary, combat. In game terms, it's mildly underpowered from a weapons standpoint and has the turn rate of an office building. However, it has state of the art science capabilities as of when it was launched. Considering it carries whole families on extended exploration missions, it's really more of a flying city that's capable of defending itself.

The Negvar is a dedicated Battlecruiser. The KDF have always had more manouevability and overpowered weapons, in exchange for inferior (arguable) shields and almost non-existent science capabilities.

The Gal-R is not canon, but really would just be the standard Galaxy plus one ability that was first seen during the first battle with the Borg.

The Gal-X is JUST BARELY canon, and can really be thought of as a repurposed Galaxy. It is a completely outdated design by 2409, somewhat compensated for by the addition of a 3rd warp nacelle appropriated by Adm Riker from fleet stores, and a planetary defense phaser cannon (we call it the spinal phaser lance) taken from the stockpile of a starbase that was never built. (soft canon, from a novel I read years ago). It is truly a Dreadnought in terms of its firepower.

But please remember, in naval terms, the Dreadnoughts were rendered obsolete by the more modern WW2 era battleships.