Rihannsu
# 61
10-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus51166 View Post
Quote:
"We don't believe that a creature like that wouldn't attack a Romulan, though"
I'm thinking you want to change one of those negatives, there.

yes, though the part they should really change is where they say it won't normally attack a romulan because of its copper based blood. if it lives off salt, the copper should have nothing to do with it, just the plasma sodium
The TOS ep clearly stated that the Salt Vampires don't like feeding on beings with copper based blood. Why? who knows.... but it's canon that they don't. Obviously Romulans(and half-Vulcan hybrids, like Spock) have enough salt, maybe the Salt vampires don't like the taste of Cyanoglobin? Or maybe it's some other quirk of Vulcan/Romulan biochemistry, but they don't like to feed on them.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Career Officer
# 62
10-29-2012, 07:22 PM
[quote=soleta63;6311491]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus51166 View Post

Maybe Dr. McCoy was incorrect in his Medical assumption that they were extinct. After all he was only a Human in space. and they haven't fixed Human Error in Star trek yet.
How dare you! Don't you know that humans are "teh awesomest" beings in the universe! Star Trek says so...repeatedly.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Captain
# 63
10-29-2012, 07:37 PM
As far as salt vampires being extinct, it was only assumed because the one specimen was the only one ever recorded despite presumed later surveys of M-113 over the following 150 years. 150 years without sighting a species on its presumed homeworld and native environment is usually considered more than sufficient for assuming that it is extinct.

The really fearsome thing about salt vampires, though, is that they, like the Founders of the Dominion, have the ability to take on the appearance of anyone that they have ever seen (though unlike the Founders, they seem unable to impersonate nonliving things). They are also able to act convincingly enough to fool someone who knows the individual being impersonated--the researcher who was harboring the one on M-113 claimed that it would become his deceased wife and that it was like having her back again.

Now as for those here who say that salt vampires are not "Trek" enough, the salt vampire was in fact the FIRST Trek monster--the episode "The Man Trap" was the very first episode of Star Trek to air on NBC.

Hmmm, since salt vampires are mainly after salt to feed on, shouldn't providing them with easy access to salt keep them away from settlements? Just put out a bunch of salt licks somewhere for them to feed on. Also, throwing chunks of rock salt at one might work to distract it . . .
Lieutenant
# 64
10-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Well, first of all, this is a science fiction game, so the devs can have fun with science, just as Star Trek has always done.

The Salt Vampires, maybe with their genetic modifications, they were designed to specifically target Romulans, not only for the salt, but for something else in them. A replicator might not do the trick if this were the case.

Maybe we can just replicate dead Romulan bodies in a disturbing kind of farm, and dump them from orbit around the settlements to distract the salt vampires, but that's a bit unethical for Trek...

And this was a really cool mission. Like the others, I think a boss fight would be cool, but not necessary. This is some darn fine work, and the salt vampire models look great.
Rihannsu
# 65
10-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcatman View Post
Well, first of all, this is a science fiction game, so the devs can have fun with science, just as Star Trek has always done.

The Salt Vampires, maybe with their genetic modifications, they were designed to specifically target Romulans, not only for the salt, but for something else in them. A replicator might not do the trick if this were the case.

Maybe we can just replicate dead Romulan bodies in a disturbing kind of farm, and dump them from orbit around the settlements to distract the salt vampires, but that's a bit unethical for Trek...

And this was a really cool mission. Like the others, I think a boss fight would be cool, but not necessary. This is some darn fine work, and the salt vampire models look great.
Or maybe just replicate Romulan blood? Presumably that would be adequate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchibiclari View Post
As far as salt vampires being extinct, it was only assumed because the one specimen was the only one ever recorded despite presumed later surveys of M-113 over the following 150 years. 150 years without sighting a species on its presumed homeworld and native environment is usually considered more than sufficient for assuming that it is extinct.

The really fearsome thing about salt vampires, though, is that they, like the Founders of the Dominion, have the ability to take on the appearance of anyone that they have ever seen (though unlike the Founders, they seem unable to impersonate nonliving things). They are also able to act convincingly enough to fool someone who knows the individual being impersonated--the researcher who was harboring the one on M-113 claimed that it would become his deceased wife and that it was like having her back again.
It's not entirely clear in the episode, but "Nancy Crater" was able make different people see her as different people simultaneously. This suggests that it wasn't a physical transformation and was actually some sort of (probably telepathic) illusion.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Starfleet Veteran
# 66
10-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchibiclari View Post
salt vampires....
Rombies. We have to call them rombies.
Lieutenant
# 67
10-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Or maybe just replicate Romulan blood? Presumably that would be adequate.
I suppose my vision was a bit over the top

But maybe it's not just the blood they'd want. Vulcans have their mental thing-a-ma-bobbers, didn't the Romulans get a bit of that? Maybe they feed off of that, even if the mental stuff is really weak in Romulans.
Empire Veteran
# 68
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
I think there needs to be some blogs on ground combat to sort of educate/re-educate the player base on how ground combat works since majority of player base will not likely get involved in these like mine trap which I love that one but only got to play it once when there was enough people on tribble.

I do hear from time to time when wanting to do ground combat that its star trek not ground trek. The problem is these people saying this are not true fans because they know especially because of costs it made to make the episodes and movies initially making away team video was easier and less costly than visual effects. So being ground combat and away teams is much more than 50% of what Trek lore is involved people should also get involved in ground combat which takes a lot less gear but requires more tactics but is fun nonetheless.
Lieutenant
# 69
10-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuxidemus001 View Post
I think there needs to be some blogs on ground combat to sort of educate/re-educate the player base on how ground combat works since majority of player base will not likely get involved in these like mine trap which I love that one but only got to play it once when there was enough people on tribble.

I do hear from time to time when wanting to do ground combat that its star trek not ground trek. The problem is these people saying this are not true fans because they know especially because of costs it made to make the episodes and movies initially making away team video was easier and less costly than visual effects. So being ground combat and away teams is much more than 50% of what Trek lore is involved people should also get involved in ground combat which takes a lot less gear but requires more tactics but is fun nonetheless.
Exactly, the spirit of Star Trek was to explore planets, not to zoom by them in a spaceship without a second thought. Otherwise, the journey to the heavens had no point.
Career Officer
# 70
10-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Nicely timed blog with Halloween in only a few days. A shame we won't get to really play it until later on. I think the mission looks fun. I like the homage to The Man Trap. Even if this isn't a story mission, IMO, treat it like one anyway. Call it The Mine Trap to bring it home.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

<=============================
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!