Career Officer
# 11
10-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by autodiabolic View Post
The space pvp is cool. I am a little confused(though less so every day) still why nobody does it, generally hiding behind excuses like it is dominated by minmaxing superships but I think perhaps some just haven't figured out how to fly their own ships. I pvp all the time and generally do quite well, despite being a new face. (dropping 25 bucks on a brel didn't hurt)

And super excited about season 7.

All in all, keep up the good work devs.
I'll forego the first point, others have already said pretty much what I would anyway.

As for this, I get my PvP fix elsewhere. Many MMOG's PvP, this one included, don't play to the strengths of the genre (a massive online persistant world populated by thousands of players) and other games that aren't limitted by having to support those strengths tend to be able to make their PvP a lot more focussed and enjoyable experience.

Gimme maps that can change hands, gimme maps that connect ground and space pvp in certain ways, gimme PvP that is mission based rather than kill based, gimme a sector which can create the overall feeling of an actual war being fought between the feds and klinks and I'd start to get interested.
Joined August 2008
Career Officer
# 12
10-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Quote:
First thing, and this is probably going to raise some hackles but, I have never encountered a community that whines as much as this one does.
It's only cause we care.
If no one gave a flip about what Cryptic does there'd be no whining.
Plus being a smaller community, threads don't fall off as fast as they do on WoW. I don't even bother to post anything on the WoW forums because it'll end up on page 806 in about 30 minutes.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Empire Veteran
# 13
10-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Quote:

First thing, and this is probably going to raise some hackles but, I have never encountered a community that whines as much as this one does. No matter what happens..added, changed, taken away, modified, tweaked, or even any indication any of these things may or may not happen on any indefinite timescale there is always flowing behind it a figurative river of tears and butt hurt. As a guy that's never done the MMO thing before, I am not sure if this is part for the course or not, but it's highly amusing to me.
To my understanding & according to your statement in regards to never playing an MMO before, I am assuming you recently started playing STO and probably are a Silver player. If you just came on board, never invested a dime in the game, then I have to say its probably a new experience for you. Its ok, because if you're new to it all then your gaming experience is new & fresh.

You're going to have to differentiate between whining & legitimate complaints or concerns.

Some things that people care about:

#1 - the iP
#2 - Canon - If you are a Star Trek Fan, canon is somthing they hold sacred
#3 - Gameplay - Both Space & Ground
#4 - True content without a hefty money making scheme attached to it

There are more but the ones above are legitimate concerns for the fanbase.

Quote:
Second, the game is fantastic, and the community mostly agreeable. The only real 'spam' you get is from people trying to fill their fleets, but I quickly learned to avoid these sorts. I eventually found a fleet that is more interested in doing things and swapping info than hoping the 20 strangers they just enlisted into the fleet might drop a fleet mark or two towards some project before going on their way. All good.

The missions are fun for a run through, and the fact you don't have to repeat them if you don't want to once you've seen the content is spiffy if you ask me. The endgame pve and missions are also pretty cool, especially the elite stfs. It was a real challenge figuring out how to do them on my own(the space ones anyway, the ground ones just take too damn long ), and now its all about getting those optionals(when playing with fleet mates anyway, don't even get me started on pugs)

The space pvp is cool. I am a little confused(though less so every day) still why nobody does it, generally hiding behind excuses like it is dominated by minmaxing superships but I think perhaps some just haven't figured out how to fly their own ships. I pvp all the time and generally do quite well, despite being a new face. (dropping 25 bucks on a brel didn't hurt)

And super excited about season 7.

All in all, keep up the good work devs.
Which proves my point about you being a new player and have not gone through the STO's different incarnations. Complaining about the suppose whiners and not actually understanding why many people are currently dissatisfied is a bit naive, but then again, I can understand why you would make such a statement, you're fairly new to all this.

I do agree there are some that whine for the sake of whining, but a good amount of players on these forums do have legitimate issues and complaints.

If it weren't for many of these complaints:

A) We wouldn't have improve Lock Box content
B) We wouldn't have the reduction of Lock Boxes
C) Lock Box winnings annoucement wouldn't have an on & off switch

Should I go on? Many of these suppose whiners have helped to bring attention to things that really need to be addressed.

Here is a biggie for you - TRUE CONTENT - many of us old timers that began since STO inception are hoping for true blue content and not some new zone bent on farming & milking the playerbase.

Last edited by stark2k; 10-30-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
First thing, and this is probably going to raise some hackles but, I have never encountered a community that whines as much as this one does.
You must not get out much. I can tell you that the STO "community" has nowhere near the level of QQ encountered in other games. I do find it humorous that you chose to introduce yourself by whining about whiners. In any case, if you're going to participate in socially interactive mmo's, involving many thousands of individuals, you just have to learn to deal with the chatter. If you can't do that then learn how to use the ignore command.

Good luck and have fun.
Commander
# 15
10-30-2012, 12:27 AM
more whiners here than a kids first day at school...
The Average PvP player

1) Teamwork and timing is #1
2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
3) You are going to die, just get back up
Captain
# 16
10-30-2012, 03:54 AM
Hardcore lurker here. Only reason I bother to check the threads here is to get my daily laugh about someone who has decided to make their entire life revolve around this game and then complain loudly in public when the rest of the Human race ignores how very important the complainer is.

"Buh...Buh...Buh you din't lissen to me about Star Trek and how I said it is supposed to be! I'm important! I haven't just been here since the beta, I made the computer they used to design the game! Not only that, I am the world's foremost self anointed expert on all things Star Trek and MMO! An if you don't lissen to me, then all I can say is - You're mean! I don't like you! I'm gonna go tell on you to the mods! You'll be in trouble! Nyah! Nyah! Nyah!"

Honestly? I sometimes laugh all day long at some of the incredibly stupid stuff people post. Some of it is professional grade. So no, OP, you're not whining about whiners. Regardless of what trolls may say. You're simply stating out loud in public what most of us are thinking anyway and very few of us have the backbone to admit to in front of reliable witnesses.
Commander
# 17
10-30-2012, 04:07 AM
i think the reasons for the huge differences between the devs and the community is that the star trek community itself is very strict when its about the canon storyline and this game deviates a lot from it. It has a lot of elements from star trek but for a real star trek fan (i think there are a lot here who are watching star trek for ages already), there are a lot of things that are totally unrealistic (in star trek dimensions speaking)
What ? Calaway.
Commander
# 18
10-30-2012, 04:12 AM
Another problem is how bad one part of the customer base has been treated by the developers since start.
Cryptic's shamefull history with the KDF

http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrin...ryptic_Studios
Republic Veteran
# 19
10-30-2012, 04:34 AM
Remember that episode in TNG OP, where Riker is accused of killing that scientist on that power station? That is what's happening here.

1)There are the canon jockeys who want an episode of Star Trek and not a game. The simulated space zealots who want real world physics. The EVE elitist who want EVE Trek.

2)The dev's failure to communicate and deliver, whichever is greater. The companies money grub.....I mean monetizing efforts.

3)And all the good stuff in between. All you need is Picard to put it together.

Starfleet Veteran
# 20
10-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Hey! Dont give the new guy a hard time!

He's right on some issues and as others have posted, the QQ'in isn't as bad as people generally believe.

The feedback from the forums has improved the game hugely.

Yes, some people aren't as articulate as others...

A) woot u dun? me kannons haz not working sinse last pach...i az mad az hell

B) After the 25th Oct patch, i have noticed my cannons pause temporarily within a firing cycle, can you please investigate?

Both are legit comments...

A) funny, a little stupid but fine!

B) more appropiate wit better detail

Case and point :

There is a games developer out there who ignores their forums and only pretends
to pay attention on the forums. Their game is now free to play - within a year.

This behaviour was leaked out by an ex-employee of theirs and has spread around the internet. And has now cost them millions.......