Lieutenant
# 31
10-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure about this, it could go either way - but I'm glad Star Wars is going to be on the big screen again, I just hope that the story is set a long time after the Skywalker Era. It's over and done with, and Disney should move Star Wars forward.
Lieutenant
# 32
10-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genhauk View Post
I hope they don't toss the extended universe from the books out the window when they do this.
It would be nice to have Thrawn and everything, but they better be creative with the movies.

I don't want it to be doomsday machine after doomsday machine in the new trilogy. Two Death Stars in the Original Trilogy, and at least half a dozen to a dozen different ones in the extended universe. And the Sun Crusher concept made me want to vomit when I first heard about it. It's like the Jelly Fish in 2009 Trek, only even more far-fetched.

It shouldn't be about superweapons. Come up with something creative and you could make a hugely successful film. As cool and unrealistic as a ship the size of a moon that has a laser capable of destroying several planets in fairly rapid succession, travelling to other star systems very quickly, and being built in just a few years is, there needs to be something COOL!

I think this has great potential in the new series, and I hope Disney does it right, no stupid kid adaptations. Everybody thought the Clone Wars was going to be a really kiddy show, but if you pay attention to the recent three or four seasons, there's some dark bits in there. Just don't watch the movie or the first season ._.

Unfortunately, I doubt Disney will be cancelling that stupid Star Wars Detours. It should be interesting to see how Star Wars 1313 and other dark games continue. Does Disney really want their logo on an M-Rated game? We shall see, this will decide the entire future of the franchise.
Empire Veteran
# 33
10-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
That the wrong costume....

Anyways.
Goofy with a lightsaber... This won't end well for anyone.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Career Officer
# 34
10-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Only says he sold the company, not the IP...
The Star Wars IP is held by the company he sold (Lucasfilm), not by George Lucas himself, personally. So, yes, in effect, he did sell the Star Wars IP.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Starfleet Veteran
# 35
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Death to Disney.
Formerly: Ally_of_the_Force/Now: A Ticked Off Customer
Member Since 10-2009/Murdered 6-2012
NO TO ARC!!!
4 Year Veteran
Career Officer
# 36
10-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genhauk View Post
Breaking News from USAToday ... Disney buying Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion

Nuff said ... Star Wars has gone Mouse.
Huh. That's weird. I'd never figure Lucas would be the kind of guy to sell his company.
Career Officer
# 37
10-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
LOL that's great
I'll stop kicking that horse when the bugs fixed. Until then as a paying consumer, I will voice my opinion.
Starfleet Veteran
# 38
10-30-2012, 05:20 PM
I think the main thing to take away from this though is that ILM is now also owned by Disney. That's a definite boon for Disney and any movie they make but how will that impact other studios who in the past have contracted ILM for special effects? Will Disney still contract out ILM to studios like Paramount (the guys behind the Star Trek movie licenses) or will they keep it in house?

Last edited by chrisansler; 10-30-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 39
10-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Exactly, they did OK with Pirates of the Caribbean as well (the first couple anyway), so I say bring it on as long as George Lucas isn't directing. Man has a genius imagination and comes up with some wonderfully intricate plots, but he seems to have lost his ability to direct and get the best out of actors.

So, brainstorm everyone! Who would you get to direct the next Star Wars?

I'd go for Ron Howard or Jon Favreau.
So, were to take this as "Lets get Disney to buy Cryptic? and take S.T.O. to the max?
Career Officer
# 40
10-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Exactly, they did OK with Pirates of the Caribbean as well (the first couple anyway), so I say bring it on as long as George Lucas isn't directing. Man has a genius imagination and comes up with some wonderfully intricate plots, but he seems to have lost his ability to direct and get the best out of actors.

So, brainstorm everyone! Who would you get to direct the next Star Wars?

I'd go for Ron Howard or Jon Favreau.
George Lucas never had directing ability. You want to know why ESB is considered to be the best one? It had an outside director.