Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Commander
# 31
11-01-2012, 01:52 AM
OPvP is the best place to set up a training camp, but for those that don't want to dedicate a large chunk of their play time to tedious practice, feel free to message me in-game if you want help with any of the basics. There are no stupid questions
Captain
# 32
11-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Making a textbook guide to 5 man preamde/pug. Stay tuned.
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Captain
# 33
11-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorasx View Post
Making a textbook guide to 5 man preamde/pug. Stay tuned.
Devorasx:

Hey, let's stay in touch about this. really. As I was walking up the library steps this morning on my way to work, I was thinking that, if things continue to go well with this "boot camp" idea (B-flakes has already indicated that he is interested and will contact me about it) then we will need some sort of rough outline/curriculum around which to schedule things, so that we can actually take people from one step to another. Perhaps we can collaborate on how to use your handbook idea in the boot camp.

If its easier for you, please feel free to contact me at the following email address:

sargon.priorityone@gmail.com

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus
Lt. Commander
# 34
11-01-2012, 03:29 AM
I foresee a massive problem if you really want to get cryptic support for this:

To get somewhat decent PVP, you need to outlaw at least some of the more extreme p2w items and doffs. And I really can't see cryptic promoting something that requires people to accept the fact that cryptic has failed to balance certain items and then use some self-restraint to keep the gameplay fun for everyone.
Rihannsu
# 35
11-01-2012, 03:52 AM
No hilbert, clearly you haven't read or understood the root of the problems. Branflakes has already made it clear, that exposing more players to the evil PvP'ers from the forums, is something that cryptic cannot support.

Rubbing costumer's noses in the amount of fail they are putting on holodeck, for insane gambling lotto prices, has nothing to do with it.

*these are not the failures you are looking for*
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Captain
# 36
11-01-2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakehilbert View Post
I foresee a massive problem if you really want to get cryptic support for this:

To get somewhat decent PVP, you need to outlaw at least some of the more extreme p2w items and doffs. And I really can't see cryptic promoting something that requires people to accept the fact that cryptic has failed to balance certain items and then use some self-restraint to keep the gameplay fun for everyone.
Hilbert:

Thanks for bringing this up. I address this--in a cursory manner--in the initial post:

"1) Because this is not a tournament, in which rules like "no siphon drones, AMS, etc." would be implemented, it is more likely that Branflakes could promote it. It is not beyond the realm of possibility for us to get a front page blog article on STO's website."

In the case of "boot camp," I think we need to be flexible on the p2w stuff, not because I don't think there are problems with certain items but because moving forward with Cryptic requires that we be somewhat flexible on certain issues. While I am certainly in agreement with you and probably most of the other PvP folks about which items are problematic in PvP scenarios, right now I am more concerned with simply getting people itnerested, educated, and confident in PvP. In individual training sessions, coaches can say what they want, but officially, I would really prefer to stay open on this issue. I hope this will cause not you to hesitate to participate, because your understanding of pvp is off the charts and I would value very much having your presence.

Look at it this way, Boot Camp is about the basics, like you touch on in your guide. If people, individually, decide to use items that are frowned upon by the PvP community, that is their own decision to make. With that said, if they end up in some of the more elite groups you and I both know that such items will not be tolerated in most cases.

To reiterate, this is not a tournament but a PvP kindergarten.

Thanks again.

@gradstudent1
Captain
# 37
11-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
No hilbert, clearly you haven't read or understood the root of the problems. Branflakes has already made it clear, that exposing more players to the evil PvP'ers from the forums, is something that cryptic cannot support.

Rubbing costumer's noses in the amount of fail they are putting on holodeck, for insane gambling lotto prices, has nothing to do with it.

*these are not the failures you are looking for*
Don't be too pessimistic=)

In the vesta PvP thread, B-flakes said he has already read the Boot Camp idea, indicated that he liked it, and has since promised to contact me about next steps So I think we are making some progress.

@gradstudent1
Captain
# 38
11-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent1 View Post
Devorasx:

Hey, let's stay in touch about this. really. As I was walking up the library steps this morning on my way to work, I was thinking that, if things continue to go well with this "boot camp" idea (B-flakes has already indicated that he is interested and will contact me about it) then we will need some sort of rough outline/curriculum around which to schedule things, so that we can actually take people from one step to another. Perhaps we can collaborate on how to use your handbook idea in the boot camp.

If its easier for you, please feel free to contact me at the following email address:

sargon.priorityone@gmail.com
No worries. The textbook guide is here.

Just contact me ingame if this really kicks off, and ill gladly help.
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Career Officer
# 39
11-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Just wanted to voice my support of what you guys are trying to do here

I haven't PvP'ed in a while now because frankly, the PuG scene had just devolved into endless bouts of PuGstomping - not the fault of established PvP teams but not so long ago you could PuG in STO and get pretty varied results - sometimes you'd get stomped, sometimes you'd be able to put up a decent fight and then there were those rare games where the final score would be 12/15 or similar where everybody had a good time.

Whilst I may not participate any more, I have nothing but respect for those of you that still do (particularly the PuGgers ) so anything, anything at all that gets PvP in this game moving in the right direction is a worthy cause in my book.

/salute.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 40
11-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent1 View Post
Don't be too pessimistic=)

In the vesta PvP thread, B-flakes said he has already read the Boot Camp idea, indicated that he liked it, and has since promised to contact me about next steps So I think we are making some progress.
I definitely do like it and would love to be involved. I'll be reaching out to you next week so we can start talks and get this idea rolling, as well as getting other members in the PvP community involved.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment