Commander
# 71
10-31-2012, 03:55 PM
When both sides are complaining about the other side being overpowered, it's a pretty good indicator that both sides are just about right

I personally think the KDF is a little worse off for the bargain, but it isn't the huge imbalance some people think. The big difference is the simple one: more people play Fed, therefore more PvPers play Fed, therefore more top-tier premades are Fed, therefore more facerolling is done by Feds.

It's identical in ground PvP, where Klingons have all the good toys feds have and a few that feds don't, but still get facerolled by fed PvP fleets.
Lieutenant
# 72
10-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i really don't know how cryptic could build such a solid pvp system, seriously the best i have ever played, and do nothing but make it worse and worse over time, abandoning all that good sense that allowed them to do such fine work long ago. no one that cares for anything other then a buck, and the ooo shinny factor seems to work there anymore, no one that makes any of the big dissensions. bort is the only one that sort of has our interests in mind
I'm honestly hoping that DStahl was being genuine about the timeline for some changes as beginning during S7.

I'm certainly not holding my breath though. I started playing this game because of its functionality and player customization options. I have grown to love it over time, but I'm a pvper at heart -- have been since the days of DarkAgeOC (name gets censored for some reason here). Running "dungeons" repeatedly grows old very quickly, and while I really like the content in S7 (srsly Cryptic, I do), I'm turned off by the lack of communication that I've seen with pvpers.

In every other MMO that I've played, regardless of how long it lasted, I've really enjoyed that level of community responsiveness. I hope to see that in STO. I really do.

There are a lot of options for PVPers in the market, and its a playerbase that has only grown over time. From DarkAgeOCthrough the decades to now MWO and that other mech one (forget the name). And next year? Forget it. DarkAgeOC big man at the helm of the new Elder Scrolls PVP mmo? Lawd have mercy...

Last edited by reichwald12; 10-31-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Captain
# 73
10-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guriphu View Post
I personally think the KDF is a little worse off for the bargain
I would have disagreed with that before the Vesta... now, I want to roll an ASD carrier and spam Fed PUGs...
Empire Veteran
# 74
10-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
-snip-
My first reaction was that this ship was supposed to be the fed counter to the Kar'fi given some of the spec/stats.....

Forgetting for a moment that the Kar'fi is one of the least used ships on the KDF side for more reasons than one, this ship is combining multiple ideals used on different KDF ships that when combined lead to a much more powerful ship than anything on the KDF side, or even on the fed side.

First you've got the AoE HoT that is good for every ship and role, because healers get an heal not counting that it's a group heal, and damage dealers get a spare heal and group support method. This parallels the Varanus's drone heals, only dramatically more effective since it seems to move with the ship rather than being in proximity to a stationary deployable on the KDF ship.

Secondly you've got the Hangar bay, though it's not clear if it is only for the Danubes or if can use anything on the fed side. If it can't use anything but Danubes then at least it's no good to a healer, however regardless of whether it can or not, the turn rate plus the CC of the Danubes means that it's the first fed cruiser that is viable for cannons. If it can equip anything then it's just like the Flight Deck Cruisers on the KDF side, only much more versatile due to the Boff layout.

Thirdly, you've got the combined perk from the Consoles granting the immunity field, meaning that now 2 ships on the fed side have consoles that grant extreme damage protection if/when severely pressed (the Intrepid is the other), and while the Intrepid's ablative armor has counters, we know of none for this one. On the KDF side the concept of this mirrors the Kar'fi's special console....

The Auxiliary gun is rather pointless since I'm guessing that you can only have one of them (like the quad cannon) and only 1 gun at max power at any given time is meaningless. However if you can mount more than 1, then you now have full healer and damage all in one power setting and no other ship in the game can match that in the slightest way and be effective.

Put it all together and this ship's only drawback is the 3/3 setup; its shields are stronger than any other cruiser, it's turn rate and impulse modifier are better than or on par with any other cruiser, and while it's hull strength and Engineering slots are weaker than the normal cruiser the Cmdr science slot and other stats/specs make up for it for the non-healers.

There is only one method that I can think of to effectively counter this ship, but the requirements to do are currently broken to me knowledge (unless there was a stealth fix that I didn't know about) so.......yeah.....

That being said, is this thing unbeatable? No, however I'm thinking in the 1v1 setting, for the team setting I do not know what would happen if a team brought 3 of these ships into the fold in various roles, my best guess is that it would not be pretty for the opposing team.....

Support a KDF equivalent to the Vesta Here
Captain
# 75
10-31-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm lolling hard at the hangar bay being equipped by default with Danubes. Oh devs, you have a real sense of humor.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 76
10-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
I'm lolling hard at the hangar bay being equipped by default with Danubes. Oh devs, you have a real sense of humor.
Per Mark's specs, it's a shuttlecarrier - not a fighter carrier. Danubes made sense...

...now the rest of the specs/stats it has on the other hand? /hardfacepalm
Career Officer
# 77
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM
id like to pre order this *****.

an aux power based duel heavy cannon? wtf are they thinking?

they are thinking... and i quote charle sheen-

"winning"

i cant wait to get my hands on this.

-starts saving up his monies-

no need to fly a gal-x anymore.

all it needs is a cloaking device -eyes MES-
Captain
# 78
10-31-2012, 04:56 PM
One bright spot is that with those aux DHCs, unless you can either a) equip more than one or b) have the aux power act as just a concurrent buff to normal weapons power, they'll be kinda derp. With DHCs you either go full power to weaps or go home, they don't have the strength to kill otherwise.

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Career Officer
# 79
10-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
One bright spot is that with those aux DHCs, unless you can either a) equip more than one or b) have the aux power act as just a concurrent buff to normal weapons power, they'll be kinda derp. With DHCs you either go full power to weaps or go home, they don't have the strength to kill otherwise.
im more interested in the doors this opens, next you know we'll have an entire weapons line that use aux power instead of weapons power.

itll be a glorius future for sto!
Captain
# 80
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716maikai View Post
im more interested in the doors this opens, next you know we'll have an entire weapons line that use aux power instead of weapons power.

itll be a glorius future for sto!

/10char