Rihannsu
# 1 PvP subforum culture
11-01-2012, 12:17 AM
I am not quite sure if it is placed correctly here, if not, please move it appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
[...]
The major concern I have is opening up those players to the "PvP" that goes on in this forum lol. It's like a warzone in here; there is so much rule-breaking going on and players are constantly are being trolled and harassed -- it's really unfortunate that a few individuals are ruining it for the rest of those who like to use this forum and provide constructive (positive or negative), civil feedback. I've been working on a thread that I've been wanting to post in here that comes from the heart as a fellow player, as well as the Community Manager. I'm hoping to have it posted soon. Basically, the trolling and harassing has to stop -- it's not good for the community, and it really doesn't help the cause.
[...]
I think he is right: These things must improve, and I am willing to do what is required for that.

What do you guys all think about this problem?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
# 2
11-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Considering Cryptic claims PvP playerbase is very minor in this game and less that 1% players visit the forums I think noone would be hurt if these forum would end unmoderated. Because that means that almost noone reads this forum section, aye ?
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-01-2012, 12:57 AM
I'd be very careful starting a thread encouraging people to behave nice, as I've seen what can happen to people who do.

Anyway, PvP is competition, and some "forum-pvp" should be allowed, as long as no serious lines are crossed.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 4
11-01-2012, 01:13 AM
((moving the convo here from the "Vesta Stats" threads was a good idea))

I'm interested to hear your thoughts after reading everything I posted. Let me repost the full conversation ----v

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent1 View Post
Oh I seee. For some reason I thought that there was a group of people already putting the Vesta through its paces. Okay, so there is still room for feedback to influence stats, etc., which makes me a bit more optimistic.

Now that I have you here, Branflakes, please check out the PvP Boot Camp post. It is right up your alley in terms of Community Development:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=429771

We need your support to get this thing going. THx.
There's absolutely some room

As for your Boot Camp post, it's something I read this morning and have been thinking about. I really, really want to help out and support it. I think it could be really fun and I have some great ideas that I'd like to share to add to it, too.

The major concern I have is opening up those players to the "PvP" that goes on in this forum lol. It's like a warzone in here; there is so much rule-breaking going on and players are constantly are being trolled and harassed -- it's really unfortunate that a few individuals are ruining it for the rest of those who like to use this forum and provide constructive (positive or negative), civil feedback. I've been working on a thread that I've been wanting to post in here that comes from the heart as a fellow player, as well as the Community Manager. I'm hoping to have it posted soon. Basically, the trolling and harassing has to stop -- it's not good for the community, and it really doesn't help the cause.

Personally, I really enjoy PvPing -- I have played with a few of the best teams out there and always have a great time. They also share feedback and I pass it along often. I also read the threads and posts in this forum and know the feelings of the community towards the current state of PvP. We (the players, the STO team, Cryptic and Perfect World) want it to be a great experience. We've got some ways to go, but if we all work together, I think we can get to a point where PvP is something we'll see more players wanting to participate in. We won't get there overnight, but I hope that the increased Dev involvement in this sub-forum is a sign and a starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
snip
I'm primarily talking about how some individuals are treating other individuals in this forum. As you can see from the threads that are still available to post in, there are many, many threads that include "negativity" or "hostility" towards changes, additions, design decisions etc. -- after all, this is a feedback forum where all types of feedback are welcome. It's the objectionable and vulgar material/ content, the harassing comments, the name calling, and the flaming and trolling that's the problem. The moment the feedback crosses into those lines, it's not okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
It's really simple. The more you moderate here, the more emotions you rise. For your and Cryptic's sake, it would be better to leave this section unmoderated and visit it just as a fellow pvper, not a mod.

PvP = emotions, Emotions need to get out, and people release steam on forums.
Unfortunately, this is not an option We want to maintain an environment where players can come to leave feedback and participate in discussion without having to be worried about what I posted above. Unfortunately, players who repeatedly break the rules will not be welcome to participate.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 5
11-01-2012, 01:13 AM
There are folks here that can let you know you're being a dumbass without calling you, your mother, your neighbor's cat, and the guy that sells you coffee in the morning one...

...then there are the folks that can't.

I think it's as simple as having more of the former and none of the latter.

It's an unnecessary distraction at times... and without a way to ignore folks and the PITA it is to report anything - well, most of it's just left there.

It's not a welcoming environment. I mean, c'mon - it should be somewhat welcoming here... the tears should be on the field of battle.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-01-2012, 01:25 AM
Step 1 to improve the forum culture: Bring back the easy to reach "ignore" button on the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Unfortunately, this is not an option We want to maintain an environment where players can come to leave feedback and participate in discussion without having to be worried about what I posted above. Unfortunately, players who repeatedly break the rules will not be welcome to participate.
I know this is borderline to discussing moderation, from me as well as from you, but as you started it... You should really look at who is moderated for what, and in what way. When someone is permanently locked out for something that barely was worth an infraction, word of it gets out. When people realize that you may get locked up even if you try to follow the rules and be nice, they don't see a point to even try to follow rules and be nice. And that can't possibly be good for the forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakehilbert View Post
Step 1 to improve the forum culture: Bring back the easy to reach "ignore" button on the forums.
^^this. ignore/report button was nice to have... reporting no is... well, i tried it one day, but gave up after spending half an hour on PWE support site, not understanding anything.
# 8
11-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvehero View Post
I know this is borderline to discussing moderation, from me as well as from you, but as you started it... You should really look at who is moderated for what, and in what way. When someone is permanently locked out for something that barely was worth an infraction, word of it gets out. When people realize that you may get locked up even if you try to follow the rules and be nice, they don't see a point to even try to follow rules and be nice. And that can't possibly be good for the forum?

^^this. ignore/report button was nice to have... reporting no is... well, i tried it one day, but gave up after spending half an hour on PWE support site, not understanding anything.
As the forum rules state, if someone receives an infraction (not a warning) that they feel was not warranted, they can file a support ticket to have someone other than the person who gave the infraction review it. Information on how to file a ticket is in my sig.

The ignore/ report functionality should be back in the not too distant future. For now, filing a ticket with a link to the post in question is a good way to report something. The same instructions in my sig can be used

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-01-2012, 01:44 AM
I tried it once and I couldn't file a ticket. And yes, I did follow the instruction in your signature.
# 10
11-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakehilbert View Post
I tried it once and I couldn't file a ticket. And yes, I did follow the instruction in your signature.
There is a known issue that the web team is trying to resolve that affects only some players -- it's where some get the infinite redirect loop. If that's happening, emailing in directly from your account's registered email address is okay too: customerservice@perfectworld.com

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=