Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,099
# 91
11-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
Because my honest opinion is that you're intentionally trying to get a rise out of people with mods watching
By pointing out that everybody should be nice and follow the rules?

That would be a quite strange plan.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,099
# 92
11-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
Why do a why reply post yourself ? see ?
Well, because I do care.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 663
# 93
11-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Actually, the channel is not really the problem, as there is the /ignore function there, one just has to use it. Virusdancer is probably right - a forum ignore function would solve the problem pretty much.
Channel moderating someone works as a better deterent and a warning to all who might dare try to upset the peace. Sure you can ignore, but isolating a person who is being disruptive to the community from said channel, works wonders as the others dont need to listen to the rant.

I will pay close attention to orgpvp with sincere vigilance. If this drama happening here on the forums happens in the channel, I will be most upset.
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,325
# 94
11-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Link to a forum post where I did in your opinion?

Because I am honestly unaware of any. Unless you are talking about due replies to insulting and aggressively condescending posts.

But more importantly, read post #1 of this thread. I have very clearly stated that I want to help improve things. This is not about the past, but the present and the future.
I think you're more worried about how many people you piss of on a daily basis then anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
That is irrelevant. Bran Flakes sees it as a problem. Do you dispute that? What are you telling him? That he should just ignore what he sees?
I dispute it. Bran knows how to do his job, he's pick some decent moderators and I don't think anyone can question that. But he's not all knowing. Are people getting hotheaded? Yeah they are. Do they have given cause to be mad? You bet they do. Will things change? Only if Cryptic puts a few dedicated developers in here to bring up the PVP that PWE supposedly wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
Because my honest opinion is that you're intentionally trying to get a rise out of people with mods watching
Of course it's what he's doing, problem is you're rising to it mate. Ignore him and hopefully he'll get banned and out of everyone's hair.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,099
# 95
11-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
I think you're more worried about how many people you piss of on a daily basis then anything else.
[...]
Any proof for that "pissing off on a daily basis"? Link to posts by me that did break any forum rules?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,015
# 96
11-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Link to a forum post where I did in your opinion?

Because I am honestly unaware of any. Unless you are talking about due replies to insulting and aggressively condescending posts.

But more importantly, read post #1 of this thread. I have very clearly stated that I want to help improve things. This is not about the past, but the present and the future.
Here's a classic. You picked the most sensitive subject (KDF content) for a large chunk of the active forum population and proceeded to tell them why they were idiots for holding the views they shared with you.

Kind of difficult to follow all the archived posts, but your posts jump out easily enough.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...+demand&page=2
You show up asking what seems to be a genuine question, then post this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
Please, tell me: How many Foundry missions have you played as a Klingon for forming such a harsh judgement?

See, just in case nobody gets it, I point it out:

You. Won't. Get. Any. Official. Klingon-only. Missions. From Cryptic.

Because the economics just don't justify it. This is not about "wanting" or someone neglecting you out of malign motives or whatever. There is simply not enough money in it, full stop. Asking for it won't change that. You won't get those missions, regardless of how much you call for them. I mean, you tried that strategy for how long now? Two years?

So, the question is: What can be done to achieve what you actually want. Hence my question what it is you actually want.

And judging from this thread, what most of you really want is:
  • Levelling faster with story missions.
  • Special mission rewards.
  • Starting at Level 1 and working your way uo to level 50.

All that can be done without a single new mission from Cryptic which you would not get anyway. Tell them to have special mission rewards for Foundry missions (for example, a special reward for X Foundry missions, or by voting a Foundry mission into some kind of "special reward addition" process. Tell them to lower the starting level. Tell them to award the XP for "officer reports" for one mission, and not three.

That is realistically possible, because it would require so little effort from Cryptic that they can actually afford to do it.
Font and punctuation are the original.

This is a thread which started with a seemingly honest question and quickly turned into posts which were "specifically made to create undue discontent on the forums, disturbances in forum threads, pick fights or otherwise promote unfriendly conversation."

Here's another. Thread title: How large is the active PvP community in STO? Numbers?

This seems like a genuine question about taking a head count. Once a PvP community member starts reading they are met with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
How many active PvPers are there in STO? My guess:

As people here actually say "he cannot do PvP, as I have not seen him on the queues", the active PvP community cannot be really much larger than maybe two to three hundred people. Which, commercially speaking, would not not even be irrelevant. It'd be ridiculous. So maybe PvP just deserves neglect in favor of PvE AI improvements.

What would you say? How many people can there possibly be, from your experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Because I feel that economic realities are something people who command starships will easily grasp.

Mere pilots, however, might have difficulties with the concept, so let me explain:

There are tens of thousands of STO players, possibly hundreds of thousands. If all the PvPers in the game more or less know each other, that means only a few hundred are there, if they are even so many. So we are talking about less than 1% of the player base.

One. Percent. What does a dev hour of work cost? What will it achieve in terms of revenue, or even in terms of simple "entertainment hours" over all players, when channeled towards the desires of the 1%? What will it achieve if channeled towards something that 100% (minus a few bitter PvPers who might leave the game for being neglected) would enjoy?

Don't you see the equation right in front of you?


You know, not everything that annoys you was written just for that. Sometimes people just have different opinions - and possibly good arguments for them.
I've bolded two things from these quotes which are inflammatory towards a community which the thread title was aimed at drawing to the discussion. In pink is a statement from you which demonstrates your awareness of the impact of your inflammatory comments. You know you're creating animosity, you just don't care.

These took me all of 5 minutes to find. I could go on.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 197
# 97
11-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Been reading these forums for awhile trying to pick up some tips to becoming a better player. This community seems to understand what it takes to really maximize a ships ability in this game. Having read through A LOT of threads lately, I started reading this on that has nothing to do with ship builds, but felt compelled to finally post something.

The amount of animosity in these threads is appalling at times. For such a small community, you guys really get after each other a lot. It's evident you guys have a passion for the game and where you want to see it changed, but it's odd that everyone spends so much time channeling that energy at each other instead of at the developers.

Having said that, my comment which pertains to this thread is about trolls. Some of the more direct people seem to get banned despite their contributions to this forum (matteo?), while some of the worst offenders seem to live on. After the threads I've read, sophlogimo seems to be one of the worst people at derailing threads of their topic. Some of the others opinions of the way sophlogimo veils his trolls is spot on. He says things in a way that doesn't clearly violate any rules, yet infuriates people to lose their temper and start "flaming". I can't remember the amount of threads I've read where he insults peoples intelligence saying their not bright enough to understand his message. This is much worse than just calling people names. It's the worst kind of trolling as it doesn't just start an argument between him and one other person, but completely ruins the thread altogether by totally derailing it. As I read through all the great threads, I've learned when to stop and move on to the next one because of how far off topic it has gotten. Sophlogimo is the cause of it a high percentage of the time. He does have a good idea from time to time, but floating an idea by trolling others is still counter productive to the spirit of these forums.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,384
# 98
11-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Sophlogimo is a kind and smart guy but...sometimes, not to say always , his presumption leads to an attitude very annoying.
But I'm sure he's not doing it on purpose...I hope...
K D F - Killing Disadvantaged Feds
K D F - The evul way to play Sto

Adm. Marcus orders: Punish the evul Klinguns! Punish the evul HOBOs! And nuclearize Qo'nos once and for all!
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,099
# 99
11-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
Here's a classic. You picked the most sensitive subject (KDF content) for a large chunk of the active forum population and proceeded to tell them why they were idiots for holding the views they shared with you.
Nothing like that in the post you quoted. It is not baiting it is not trolling, it is an opinion, it is serious controversial discussion. And by te way, that thread made it, for the first time for me, clear what the actual problem of the KDFers was, and it wasn't necessarily the missing missions. It was a very productive and helpful thread for me.

The quote about the size of the PvP community is just honest. You may not like that thought, certainly aren't forced to agree with it, but it is valid, A to Z.

But you don't just accept it as a differing, thought through opinion that you disagree with. In fact, we could delve through the forum history and find any controversial topic (probably even long before I even knew STO existed, and certainly in dicussions without any involvement from my side), and still find the same pattern of people bullying the controversial point of view.

And I think that is what is wrong with the PvP subforum culture. There is a lot of assuming about people's motivations, lot of interpreting things in the worst possible way, and out of that, the trolling, the flaming and the insults grow. Many people just can't stand controversy of any kind, and they can't remain civil when there is controversy.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a problem in a discussion forum.

Quote:
[...]
These took me all of 5 minutes to find. I could go on.
I am sure you could. But that shows things about you, not about me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 269
# 100
11-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Where is my ignore button? Oh right, I don't have one.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:42 PM.