Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,476
# 141
11-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Absolutely.

One question, though: Have you ever heard that a group of people, as such, is acting weird? Such as described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_behavior ?
Look, another deflection. You really are unable to accept that any of this can be your fault. Now the reason so many people share an opinion about you is "herd behavior" ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Unfortunately, many are unwilling to do that in a way that is compatible with the forum rules. And that is a problem, don't you agree?
Yup. That'd be a problem, if systems were not already in place to deal with such things. See something that breaks the rules, don't respond. Send a quick pm to one (or all) of the mods. You'd be surprised how fast that deals with problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
You are right, and I try to. But as you wrote, it is hard not to reply to off-topic accusations and personal attacks that you feel have few grounds in facts.
No, it's actually not.
It's called self control and not acting like a jerk.
People say bad things about other people all the time.
Sorry to put it this way, but toughen up, Princess.

You can continue to believe that the feelings about you are totally unjustified, that you have never done these things, herd mentality, its all them , whatever .... BUT all that does is continue to make you look like the jerk.

Doesn't matter if it's justified. Doesn't matter if it's fair. The fact is that there is a prevailing opinion about you, and it's not a nice one. That's just truth. You can accept that, see why it happened, say "Gosh, I'm sorry", and then try and grow as a person.

Or (as I suspect) , you can continue to believe that everyone else is to blame. It's just a herd mentality after all. You can continue to post in the manner you always do, and people will continue to marginalize your ideas, and call you a green , regenerating D&D monster.

That's just the way it is.
The choice of what kind of person you want to be ... that's up to you.

Last edited by hippiejon; 11-05-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,793
# 142
11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thishorizon View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^damn. that was awesome.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

have fun kill bad guys
Yeah, hehe. That was a nice decloak alpha strike there.


Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,476
# 143
11-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
Yeah, hehe. That was a nice decloak alpha strike there.
...and now I am cloaking again.
This guy generally isn't worth talking to.
I tried.
I was even exceedingly polite for me. (exercising that self control I was talking about above)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,122
# 144
11-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
...and now I am cloaking again.
This guy generally isn't worth talking to.
I tried.
I was even exceedingly polite for me. (exercising that self control I was talking about above)
@hippiejon

you are now speaking from my almost direct point of view.

send friend request anytime man.

have fun kill bad guys
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,122
# 145
11-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
Yeah, hehe. That was a nice decloak alpha strike there.
@CaptainHorizon brings the alphas.

dont ask me to heal or CC. aint gonna happen.

have fun kill bad guys

edit:

it will happen, but kinda sub par and kinda not max;d at all....

gg!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,427
# 146
11-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Bluegeek, this is not an example of "PvP culture", quite far from it. Sophlogimo is an absolute exception to the rule with a long and checkered history here. Now were it that posters were following Sophlogimo around deriding him because of some petty dispute in the past, that would be one thing, but everyone has tried their best to simply ignore him and hope he'll get bored. But sadly he won't; he has a huge axe to grind since people didn't fall head over heels in love with his spaceship.

For starters, he has a higher post count than most of the PvP subforum's posters combined. In fact, he's probably started the most threads here too, and that's because if he doesn't get the response he likes out of trolling an existing thread he simply makes a new one of his own with one of his patented, condescending, passive-aggressive titles that feign legitimate curiosity to better mask his childish spitefulness.

We have tried being polite and kind to him. In response, we get snark, sarcasm, unwarranted arrogance and faintly-veiled insults (please take a look at how he insulted upyournacelles' intelligence a few pages back).

He's trying to worm his way into the good graces of the moderators so he can wield the banhammer by instigating rows and causing trouble without ever using abrasive language himself. I don't know how something can be so blatantly obvious and yet none of you can see it. Does none of you think it's highly suspicious that a man who can cause so much bad energy has the highest post count and routinely takes his trolling act on the road, like Red Ricky described?

I mean, can one of you explain why you think Sophlogimo is remotely qualified to make a thread about "PvP subforum culture"? Why does this not seem like a biased party grossly overstepping his bounds, and one who constantly debates mod behavior to boot?

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 471
# 147
11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Well I stop even going to the threads for about a month and still Sophlogimo is up to their old tricks. Soph there is a reason you are getting ganged up on here. Just like the one time I saw you in OPvP you just refuse to see any point other than your own. As I said then, "You are convinced of your own infallibility and that is why you never learn."

That said lets get this train back on track.

*Poe's Law warning*

Well over three years ago I came to the PvP sub-forum as a PvEer who was tired of getting their teeth kicked in by the AI in this game. I even made the mistake of announcing that I was there to learn to PvE better. Wow that was a mistake let me tell you. Folk started to teach me stuff. They never made fun of me. They encouraged me to the point I actually started to PvP. Huge mistake that.

*end Poe's Law*

I am not a hardcore PvPer but I think of myself as a PvPer. Even when I PvE of late I would rather be in an arena or cap&hold. Get this, I actually hated PvP before STO. Now I love it. It's because of this sub-forum's culture. It's because when you are honest with others about your limitations here they help you. I have never seen this in any other MMO before STO.

Perhaps that is why I even started to argue in favor of PvP calls for balance back when I was still a PvEer in Season 2.

We have a great PvP brain trust that I sense is often wasted, apparently ignored. That is when I have seen the most helpful of us simply leave or turn sour and earn a ban because their passion lead to a vent.

I was there when I saw Branflakes interact with the Sad Pandas. I listened to him on Panda vent. I hated him at the moment because I was permabanned by Q, (no this is no sockpuppet account). To hear the honest passion in his voice for the community as a whole really changed my point of view. I even saw Branflakes in the occasional match and tossed him heals when I could, before my change of heart. Not because he is a PWE employee but because cross healing is one of the things you are taught to do to keep your team alive in PvP. See that? Some more of that sub-forum PvP culture in the positive.

When I have time I answer questions on the forums and in game chat. I was taught the same way and I should pay it forward right?

This sub-forum is far from toxic if you approach it right. There are archived posts where I even told PvEers how to approach the PvP forum to best effect. As I recall some of those I gave that advice to even went on to become PvPers in their own right.

In my opinion this forum is far from a warzone. To me it's home. Like brothers and sisters at home we rib, tease, call names and goad. If you look at it as being accepted in the community of PvPers it's all in good fun and it's some of the glue that holds the group together.

Like the Rooster with "The Duke" as an avatar suggested, man up, pull your britches up and grow a thicker skin.

It's all fun and games till someone's ego gets in the way.

Now I'm gonna quote Horizon.

"Have fun, kill bad guys."
If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
They taste the same.

Last edited by piwright42; 11-06-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 197
# 148
11-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
One question, though: Have you ever heard that a group of people, as such, is acting weird? Such as described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_behavior ?

Or this could be your issue...
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,616
# 149
11-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
Well I stop even going tot he threads for about a month and still Sophlogimo is up to their old tricks. Soph there is a reason you are getting ganged up on here. Just like the one time I saw you in OPvP you just refuse to see any point other than your own. As I said then, "You are convinced of your own infallibility and that is why you never learn."

That said lets get this train back on track.

*Poe's Law warning*

Well over three years ago I came to the PvP sub-forum as a PvEer who was tired of getting their teeth kicked in by the AI in this game. I even made the mistake of announcing that I was there to learn to PvE better. Wow that was a mistake let me tell you. Folk started to teach me stuff. They never made fun of me. They encouraged me to the point I actually started to PvP. Huge mistake that.

*end Poe's Law*

I am not a hardcore PvPer but I think of myself as a PvPer. Even when I PvE of late I would rather be in an arena or cap&hold. Get this I actually hated PvP before STO. Now I love it. It's because of this sub-forum's culture. It's because when you are honest with others about your limitations here they help you. I have never seen this in any other MMO before STO.

Perhaps that is why I even started to argue in favor of PvP calls for balance back when I was still a PvEer.

We have a great PvP brain trust that I sense is often wasted apparently ignored. That is when I have seen the most helpful of us simply leave or turn sour and earn a ban because their passion lead to a vent.

I was there when I saw Branflakes interact with the Sad Pandas. I listened to him on Panda vent. I hated him at the moment because I was permabanned by Q, (no this is no sockpuppet account). To hear the honest passion in his voice for the community as a whole really changed my point of view. I even saw Branflakes in the occasional match and tossed him heals when I could, before my change of heart. Not because he is a PWE employee but because cross healing is one of the things you are taught to do to keep your team alive in PvP. See that some more of that sub-forum PvP culture in the positive.

When I have time I answer questions on the forums and in game chat. I was taught the same way and I should pay it forward right?

This sub-forum is far from toxic if you approach it right. There are archived posts where I even told PvEers how to approach the PvP forum to best effect. As I recall some of those I gave that advice to even went on to become PvPers in their own right.

In my opinion this forum is far from a warzone. To me it's home. Like brothers and sisters at home we rib, tease, call names and goad. If you look at it as being accepted in the community of PvPers it's all in good fun and some of the glue that holds the group together.

Like the Rooster with "The Duke" as an avatar suggested, man up, pull your britches up and grow a thicker skin.

It's all fun and games till someone's ego gets in the way.

Now I'm gonna quote Horizon.

"Have fun, kill stuff."
I really like your post there. I can go along with most of it.

My story is that I knew for a long time when I began posting on these forums, of the 'evil PvPers' here in the PvP section, who 'only want PvP things and hate anything not PvP', etc etc.

So, when I decided to come down here, after doing some PvP (pugging arenas I believe), and thoroughly getting killed...a lot...I was nervous, dare I say...scared a bit, to post here. My first post though, was lighthearted, or so I tried my best to make it seem, hiding my nervousness, and...

While ya'll do tend to ramble and such, there is a good community here. I wasn't insulted or anything in that thread, some of my words in the first post included, 'may I continue to provide you with easy PvP kills' and so on.

So, I was actually complimented (the most surprising thing to me at the time), for being much more willing than most to accept my losses and not just whine and complain, etc.

Since then, I've always enjoyed coming to this area of the forum. Sure I don't always understand all the nitty-gritty, hocus pocus, mumbo jumbo talk about things, but I enjoy learning more, and improving my own gameplay in turn from the hard work and time everyone here puts in.

I'm mostly a PvEer, but I don't regret at all the day I first posted here and started PvPing.

Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,325
# 150
11-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
Well I stop even going to the threads for about a month and still Sophlogimo is up to their old tricks. Soph there is a reason you are getting ganged up on here. Just like the one time I saw you in OPvP you just refuse to see any point other than your own. As I said then, "You are convinced of your own infallibility and that is why you never learn."

That said lets get this train back on track.

*Poe's Law warning*

Well over three years ago I came to the PvP sub-forum as a PvEer who was tired of getting their teeth kicked in by the AI in this game. I even made the mistake of announcing that I was there to learn to PvE better. Wow that was a mistake let me tell you. Folk started to teach me stuff. They never made fun of me. They encouraged me to the point I actually started to PvP. Huge mistake that.

*end Poe's Law*

I am not a hardcore PvPer but I think of myself as a PvPer. Even when I PvE of late I would rather be in an arena or cap&hold. Get this, I actually hated PvP before STO. Now I love it. It's because of this sub-forum's culture. It's because when you are honest with others about your limitations here they help you. I have never seen this in any other MMO before STO.

Perhaps that is why I even started to argue in favor of PvP calls for balance back when I was still a PvEer in Season 2.

We have a great PvP brain trust that I sense is often wasted, apparently ignored. That is when I have seen the most helpful of us simply leave or turn sour and earn a ban because their passion lead to a vent.

I was there when I saw Branflakes interact with the Sad Pandas. I listened to him on Panda vent. I hated him at the moment because I was permabanned by Q, (no this is no sockpuppet account). To hear the honest passion in his voice for the community as a whole really changed my point of view. I even saw Branflakes in the occasional match and tossed him heals when I could, before my change of heart. Not because he is a PWE employee but because cross healing is one of the things you are taught to do to keep your team alive in PvP. See that? Some more of that sub-forum PvP culture in the positive.

When I have time I answer questions on the forums and in game chat. I was taught the same way and I should pay it forward right?

This sub-forum is far from toxic if you approach it right. There are archived posts where I even told PvEers how to approach the PvP forum to best effect. As I recall some of those I gave that advice to even went on to become PvPers in their own right.

In my opinion this forum is far from a warzone. To me it's home. Like brothers and sisters at home we rib, tease, call names and goad. If you look at it as being accepted in the community of PvPers it's all in good fun and it's some of the glue that holds the group together.

Like the Rooster with "The Duke" as an avatar suggested, man up, pull your britches up and grow a thicker skin.

It's all fun and games till someone's ego gets in the way.

Now I'm gonna quote Horizon.

"Have fun, kill bad guys."
/10charrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:24 AM.