Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 221
11-08-2012, 07:40 AM
I like the discussion going on in here, but forum rules are now being broken. Please do not discuss personal moderation that's been taken against you. You can discuss moderation in general, not related to a specific incident or person, but revealing that you've been banned or warned, or your ban or warning reasons, is not appropriate.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 222
11-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetam1 View Post
I would not agree with that. In my opinion it is a simple figure of speech to point out some illogical behavior. It does not really imply the use of any drugs or is even really connected to drugs.

"What are you smoking?" doesn't refer to drugs ? Unless you are referring to , hey what flavor of tobacco is that in your fine pipe? Smells like Cherry Cavendish ? or something of the like ...

Then you are LYING.

"What are you smoking?" might as well just be "What are you, high ?"

Claiming otherwise and fighting about it like this (1) makes you look bad
and (2) is kind of personally offensive. You obviously think we're all idiots or something.

Quit trying to claim umbrage because the mods, with good reason, modded you.
Wait for it ...
But ... But there were THOUSANDS of other POSTS just like it ... they weren't modded... waa waa waa

This isn't about the past, (person who is almost surely in their 30s because that is the average age of posters in this forum.)

Our current mods can only focus on the present and going forward. We're mistakes made in the past , SURE. I do not hold our current team responsible , or expect them to somehow make up for the pasts mistakes.

Last edited by hippiejon; 11-08-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Community Moderator
# 223
11-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetam1 View Post
I would not agree with that. In my opinion it is a simple figure of speech to point out some illogical behavior. It does not really imply the use of any drugs or is even really connected to drugs.

Lets take something else as example. There is a german figure of speech that wishes someone "Hals- und Beinbruch". Literally you wish someones neck and leg to be broken. Now thats actually a very violent statement if taken literally and would call for a mod to edit it. But it actually means "good luck" and every native speaking german knows that. I think there is something similar in english thats called "break a leg".
In that case may we all have broken necks and legs with the attempts to change the PVP subforums culture
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Captain
# 224
11-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
This isn't about the past, kid..
Considering most people in pvp forum are around their 30s. I personally find it insulting and inappropriate language. *reports on the imaginary report button*

Also, one (especially moderator) should understand that this game is played by players from across the Globe. Not everyone can insult subtle and silently - yet not against the forum rules per see - as the native English speaking person.
Captain
# 225
11-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Do you... uhm, know if that fellow did open a support ticket about, politely asking for an explanation and possibly a correction?
on his forum he kept his fleeties up to date and sent a message asking for what he did. he was told he was vulgar and offensive but nothing defentive was said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
I can't and won't comment on that in here. As I said in my post, you'll have had a message sent with it explaining how to dispute, that should be used. Discussion of moderation on the forums is generally a mod'able offence. I'd suggest that this one be left there.
as far as i know, once youre banned on the forums you can no longer access your forum mail either. so once youre banned there doesnt appear to be any way to recieve notice except through private email or through tickets, which lead to private email that doesnt actually tell the person what they have done specifically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
# 226
11-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
Considering most people in pvp forum are around their 30s. I personally find it insulting and inappropriate language. *reports on the imaginary report button*

Also, one (especially moderator) should understand that this game is played by players from across the Globe. Not everyone can insult subtle and silently - yet not against the forum rules per see - as the native English speaking person.

I maintain that YES, indeed things have been posted in the past that should have been moderated that were not. I don't expect the Mods to worry about things posted in September. I expect them to worry about the now, so calls of "But in the past people were not modded for this same thing" , mean nothing to me.

I hold the mods to a standard in the now. If a month or Two ago a post that should have been modded was missed. I hope they learned from it. Period.

We have some awesome Mods. Sorry I used the word Kid. Sorry it insulted you. Not my intention. Hey like an adult I will respond by editing it for you, rather than claiming that , "WAIT , it doesn't mean what you think , because some people on the forums don't speak english, and such a turn of phrase means something different".

Nope. I say, Sorry. I didn't mean to be insulting, but I see how it can be. I will go change it. If a mod wanted to mod me for it. Awesome. I get it.

Now, lets move on and stop trying to deflect.

The statement in question , is an american colloquialism that is a VERY plain drug reference. Arguing otherwise is stupid. Period.

Gotta go edit that post now.
peace.
Sorry again you were offended.

(EDIT : By the way , the new giant green smiley face above means I am trying to be funny and friendly. Sorry if that comes off offensive to anyone ... sigh)

Last edited by hippiejon; 11-08-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Lieutenant
# 227
11-08-2012, 08:24 AM
You know, there's an old saying about a guy who gets pulled over by a cop for speeding.

He says, "but there were 5 other guys before me that were speeding too!"

The cop replies, "yeah, maybe, but you were the one who got caught."

Look, just like not everyone who's a MPH or two over the limit is gonna get pulled over by the officer, not every infraction is going to be modded. Or even caught. But just because the mods miss a post or two doesn't mean that a post that justifiably SHOULD be modded should not be "just because all these others weren't."
Career Officer
# 228
11-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertihan View Post
You know, there's an old saying about a guy who gets pulled over by a cop for speeding.

He says, "but there were 5 other guys before me that were speeding too!"

The cop replies, "yeah, maybe, but you were the one who got caught."

Look, just like not everyone who's a MPH or two over the limit is gonna get pulled over by the officer, not every infraction is going to be modded. Or even caught. But just because the mods miss a post or two doesn't mean that a post that justifiably SHOULD be modded should not be "just because all these others weren't."
^^^ The cut of this guy's jib. I like it. ^^^
Captain
# 229
11-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertihan View Post
The problem I see here is mainly that, under a lot of circumstances it's very hard to find someone who both

1) knows enough about PvP as to be the kind of person you're referring to AND
2) is impartial

The second part (and the "and") are very important. Most people are one or the other, very few are both. I'll admit that there are lots of players I know (and I refuse to name names) who are fantastic players and know PvP mechanics like the back of their hand, but I wouldn't trust them to be impartial in breaking up a forum battle.

All things considered I think the moderators as they are currently, are dong a great job. Sure it could be better, but I'd rather have impartial over knowledgeable.
Agreed that it's difficult to find someone. But also remember that Tobar said the community mods can only moderate posts and warn, it's not like they could just ban anybody who isn't their favorite.

For specific game mechanic arguments we could know that there's somebody to pm to ask them to weigh in before things get ugly. I know I would go to such a person before I turned into a "No U!"

Again, I'm only saying that this kind of person being made a community mod could help for these particular volatile situations. I'm not trying to knock the job being done by the current mods. I know we're not supposed to discuss it, so I'll only go so far as to say the warning and infraction I've received were appropriate and earned.
Captain
# 230
11-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
The statement in question , is an american colloquialism that is a VERY plain drug reference.
Exactly. I agree with that. But not everyone lives on North American continent, did it occur to you ?? And there lies my problem. Nowhere in the forum rules is written that forum posts are moderated according to the American laws and way of life. What is legal in one country is not legal in another.

An American can troll me and flame me with his advanced vocabulary without breaking the rules, stupid european like me, has to use...well not so subtle vocabulary. It's called language barrier. In case of forums it's frequently case of cultural and language barriers.

When something questionable happens "like drug reference" in "why do you do something so stupid" context, it should yield you warning max, not insta ban from forums.