Empire Veteran
# 241
11-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
"What are you smoking?" doesn't refer to drugs ? Unless you are referring to , hey what flavor of tobacco is that in your fine pipe? Smells like Cherry Cavendish ? or something of the like ...

Then you are LYING.

"What are you smoking?" might as well just be "What are you, high ?"

Claiming otherwise and fighting about it like this (1) makes you look bad
and (2) is kind of personally offensive. You obviously think we're all idiots or something.
Ok let us try this again. Of course the statement "What are you smoking?" refers to a person being mentally impaired due to the use of drugs if taken literally.
Now if I meet a friend and he tells me something like "Hey i bought a watch for 500$". I might say something like "What have you been smoking?"
which translates into something like "Why would you do such a thing?". Now I am in no way implying he took drugs, I know he didn't. I don't accuse him of anything illegal. It's just a simple figure of speech.
On the other hand if I enter a room, smell smoke and ask: "What are you smoking?" its obviously a drug reference.
So again my point is while the statement "What are you smoking?" obviously originated form a drug reference if I use it as a figure of speech while talking with a friend I am in no way referencing drugs but simply stating an illogical action.

The difference is if I am really trying to imply the use of drugs or if I just use a figure of speech.

Now I am no lawyer and my argumentation would probably not work in court but thats how I personally see it. And people should not get censored for a figure of speech that is widely used in real life.

If I say it "is raining cats an dogs" I am not referencing a person who is throwing animals out of the window.

Quote:
Quit trying to claim umbrage because the mods, with good reason, modded you.
Sry to disappoint you. I wasn't modded and am complaining. I am just trying to make a general statement.

Quote:
Wait for it ...
But ... But there were THOUSANDS of other POSTS just like it ... they weren't modded... waa waa waa

Quote:
TL;DR Version : Claiming that "What are you smoking?" is not a drug reference make you look either (a) Stupid or (b) manipulative and dishonest. Quit it.
Your opinion is welcome but I do not share it.
Community Moderator
# 242
11-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Somebody suggested a reputation system for the forum users. I don't think we need that. What would work even better is a way to score individual threads and posts, as with a "Like" feature. Essentially, let the Community decide which posts are the most helpful. If you guys could do that in the PvP forums, it would help newbies decide which posts to pay attention to. Any reputation system can be gamed, but it would be harder to sabotage something like that.

Glad somebody likes this idea. Of course there are a couple of technical issues involved that aren't trivial.

#1 - Does vBulletin support a feature like this? PWE isn't going to write their own forum software.

#2 - Can the database handle the extra overhead of keeping track of who "liked" which posts, or somehow prevent abuse by multiple upvotes?

All we can do is to ask about it and see what PWE says.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 243
11-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetam1 View Post
Your opinion is welcome but I do not share it.
As is yours.
Like I said above, just think it's hogwash, and attempting to justify the unjustifiable, but I can agree to disagree.
Career Officer
# 244
11-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Glad somebody likes this idea. Of course there are a couple of technical issues involved that aren't trivial.

#1 - Does vBulletin support a feature like this? PWE isn't going to write their own forum software.
No idea. Somoeone around here probably knows.

Quote:
#2 - Can the database handle the extra overhead of keeping track of who "liked" which posts, or somehow prevent abuse by multiple upvotes?
Limit # of "likes" per day ?

Quote:
All we can do is to ask about it and see what PWE says.
Cool
Survivor of Remus
# 245
11-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
As is yours.
Like I said above, just think it's hogwash, and attempting to justify the unjustifiable, but I can agree to disagree.
Anything can be justified depending on what side of the fence your on
Lt. Commander
# 246
11-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Quote:
If there's no clear violation of a forum rule, any moderation I do is in danger of being too subjective and not grounded in fact.
General example of such things: "I quit" threads.

These things seem to always get closed. But there is no rule against them. Yet they do get closed because the mods lack knowledge of the pvp community and cannot see that while these type of threads ususally end in flaming in the general sections, it is entirely different in the pvp section where such threads don't lead to flames but are used for mourning lost friends.

The entire reason that moderation may not be discussed (not even in a special "mod action discussion" section of the forums like some other boards have) is because the mods know that their decisions won't be supported by a vast majority. Otherwise all moderation could happen in the open and people would think "good job, mods" whenever they encounter it and not "now that was totally unnecessary, why did they do that".

How about moderation only hides content (unless it is outright illegal) and there is a "I know what I'm doing, please show me the original post" button?
Community Moderator
# 247
11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Claiming that (blah, blah, blah is/is not blah, blah, blah) makes you look either (a) Stupid or (b) manipulative and dishonest. Quit it.
In the spirit of transparency and honesty for this particular thread, I have to comment on this.

Even the loosest reading of that kind sentence says to me that the poster is either (a) insulting the other user's intelligence, or (b) commenting on the other user's motives and character in a way that may not be warranted.

That's exactly the kind of thing the mods are trying to stop from happening in these forums. Even if the poster were right about the motive -- of which there is considerable room to doubt -- it's still a violation of the rules.

Forget about the subject of the post... it could be about whether rainbow ponies are manly or not. Doesn't matter what the claim is.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Career Officer
# 248
11-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
In the spirit of transparency and honesty for this particular thread, I have to comment on this.

Even the loosest reading of that kind sentence says to me that the poster is either (a) insulting the other user's intelligence, or (b) commenting on the other user's motives and character in a way that may not be warranted.

That's exactly the kind of thing the mods are trying to stop from happening in these forums. Even if the poster were right about the motive -- of which there is considerable room to doubt -- it's still a violation of the rules.

Forget about the subject of the post... it could be about whether rainbow ponies are manly or not. Doesn't matter what the claim is.
understood. I will simply go delete it.

Edit : Done.

To be clear, I wasn't saying that they actually are stupid. I happen to think that most of the posters around here are quite intelligent. I simply see the position I am opposed to here as using tricks and language redirects to find a way to break the forum rules. So I think that defending such a position makes anyone, look questionable at best.

Truly sorry that's offensive, but that's just how it is.

Someone was modded, I am not gonna go back and reread the whole thing to find out who again, for using what can clearly be interpreted as a drug reference. Now people are trying to use tricky language and deflection to claim that it wasn't actually a drug reference. To my eyes, this is people using subterfuge and manipulation to justify their attempt to subvert forum rules.

I am not naming names.
I don't actually care enough to go look.
It's an attitude and a position and paper thin defense that i am opposed to.

I hope that doesn't make me a bad person ?
Ooo, look I have lunch to finish cooking

Last edited by hippiejon; 11-08-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Community Moderator
# 249
11-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
snip
Hope you won't hold it against me for using that post as a somewhat sanitized example, but I think it's an important point to make.

When I was in the Navy, it was part of the culture to tease and throw around supposedly "good-natured" insults, or to cuss somebody out who made you mad. The problem, of course, is that after awhile you get pretty good at getting off zingers second-nature and don't think too much about how other people are going to react to it or who you're zinging (as long as they aren't a superior officer!). Also, it starts being fun to "get off a good one".

When I left the Navy, I had to make a conscious effort to break myself of that bad habit and to think twice about what I was about to say. It's paid off for me; my marriage is definitely benefiting from learning to hold my peace and not to throw around casual insults.

The PvP culture isn't much different in that respect. Trading "zingers" can be part of the competitive "fun". We call it "trash talk". Which is okay with people you know, who know not to take you seriously. And if somebody takes it a little too far occasionally, well, you have a spat, people back off, and then you get over it.

Some of you guys probably have that kind of a relationship with your friends where that works. You probably wish the forums worked like that. But how does an outsider see it, especially one with a different personality and viewpoint?
Career Officer
# 250
11-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Hope you won't hold it against me for using that post as a somewhat sanitized example, but I think it's an important point to make.
Not at all man.
I'm happy to be an example of the kind of jerk not to be