Empire Veteran
# 41
11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
The girlfriend reminded me it's just a game - and - it is. It's something I can forget about when I zone out in PvP... I've snapped at her, pissed her off, and had to go buy her a shake a few too many times. I really get into it - haven't gotten into PvP like this since Shadowbane.

The gist of what I was saying is - it's not a case of having to grow a pair with some of the crap here - it should just be a case of being able to put them on ignore.

This isn't a job.
This isn't family.

We shouldn't have to put up with the childish BS at times...

...that simple.

There's folks that might lose it every now and again, and I think we tend to cut them some slack. There's folks on the other hand... yeah, /ignore would work great for them and make this a better place.
Oh G. I did that once tripping while playing some old goldbox AD&D game online.
I spent weeks in apoligy. It was scary.
I felt soooooo bad because it was just a game.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 42
11-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Quote:
This isn't a job.
This isn't family.
True. But a forum can still be a community with status.

We're all nobodies. Status is what drives you to be polite. Rather, to stay polite, since most people start off that way.

There is no status here in this marginally functional skeleton of a forum, no ability to select, as a community, who is wise or not, who has something to contribute to STO or not, or even to call out our upstanding citizens.

We flame away with prejudice because the next account we create will have the same value as the one that got banned.
Captain
# 43
11-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
True. But a forum can still be a community with status.

We're all nobodies. Status is what drives you to be polite. Rather, to stay polite, since most people start off that way.

There is no status here in this marginally functional skeleton of a forum, no ability to select, as a community, who is wise or not, who has something to contribute to STO or not, or even to call out our upstanding citizens.

We flame away with prejudice because the next account we create will have the same value as the one that got banned.
I try not to get banned. It doesn't always work...ahem, but I try not to get banned. If I get a temp ban/suspension, I accept it and come back when it's over - probably hanging out over at MMORPG.com in the interim (heh, when I'm not suspended over there).

I'm generally fine as long as somebody doesn't say that I said something that I didn't and as long as I don't see somebody breaking out their ego in a bullying manner against somebody else. That's where I get into trouble...

As for the forums, meh - yeah - I miss the old forums on so many levels...meh.
Captain
# 44
11-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Oh G. I did that once tripping while playing some old goldbox AD&D game online.
I spent weeks in apoligy. It was scary.
I felt soooooo bad because it was just a game.
Yeah, it's bad - they look at you like you're some completely different person. When you think about what happened, you even wonder who that was... it's rough.

I definitely try to take it more casual - even trying to fly ships that are outside of my comfort zone, knowing that I'm going to play like crap... but I still end up in that zone. Place could be burning down around me, but I might very well scream to leave me alone - can't you see I'm in the middle of a fight...lol.

Haven't had that kind of addictive adrenaline thing going since Shadowbane... but then again, SB was a different world - setting the alarm to wake up in the middle of the night for a fight... heh, took that game way too seriously.
Captain
# 45
11-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Ugh, speaking about the old forums - I want my old post history back - I don't want to be Archived Post and only able to find something I said if somebody quoted me... meh.
Starfleet Veteran
# 46
11-01-2012, 08:26 PM
I personally think that these forums don't need moderation. I've played other MMO's that see very little moderation (if any at all) on their forums and these communities seem to be more harmoniously ran than this one. Sometimes less is more.

What needs to happen is a report function at which time the community in a self-policing mode can report something for moderator review. Until then, forum moderation should keep a low presence and let things just be.

Last edited by rooster75; 11-01-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Captain
# 47
11-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75 View Post
I personally think that these forums don't need moderation. I've played other MMO's that see very little moderation (if any at all) on their forums and these communities seem to be more harmoniously ran than this one. Sometimes less is more.

What needs to happen is a report function at which time the community in a self-policing mode can report something for moderator review. Until then, forum moderation should keep a low presence and let things just be.
this.

and then some.

with a bag of chips.

maybe a pickle.

def a soda of some sort.

you know what? i'll just take the meal deal thingie.
Starfleet Veteran
# 48
11-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
The major concern I have is opening up those players to the "PvP" that goes on in this forum lol. It's like a warzone in here; there is so much rule-breaking going on and players are constantly are being trolled and harassed -- it's really unfortunate that a few individuals are ruining it for the rest of those who like to use this forum and provide constructive (positive or negative), civil feedback. I've been working on a thread that I've been wanting to post in here that comes from the heart as a fellow player, as well as the Community Manager. I'm hoping to have it posted soon. Basically, the trolling and harassing has to stop -- it's not good for the community, and it really doesn't help the cause.
I've been posting on these forums for 3 years and I've never been "trolled or harassed" by other PvP'ers for making a post even when I've disagreed with someone. The assumption that this sub-forum is a "warzone" is not accurate.
Captain
# 49
11-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster75 View Post
I've been posting on these forums for 3 years and I've never been "trolled or harassed" by other PvP'ers for making a post even when I've disagreed with someone. The assumption that this sub-forum is a "warzone" is not accurate.
Assuming that because you haven't been - that nobody has... well...

...I've never felt harassed - and I'm so bored so often, I tend to get in trouble for trolling trolls.

Doesn't mean that I haven't seen folks getting trolled or harassed.

There's a lot of little back and forth here - where discussions might get a little heated. There can sometimes be overreactions from some on that calling it Forum PvP. On the other hand, there's stuff that goes on where you just want to slap the person around with a large frozen trout.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Starfleet Veteran
# 50
11-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Assuming that because you haven't been - that nobody has... well...

...I've never felt harassed - and I'm so bored so often, I tend to get in trouble for trolling trolls.

Doesn't mean that I haven't seen folks getting trolled or harassed.

There's a lot of little back and forth here - where discussions might get a little heated. There can sometimes be overreactions from some on that calling it Forum PvP. On the other hand, there's stuff that goes on where you just want to slap the person around with a large frozen trout.
So what. Discussions get a little heated. That's life.