Captain
# 1 Is the Gateway redundant?
03-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Perfect World already has their Core system. Both systems strike me as trying to be the same thing, and both are underutilized at the moment, so why do we have both? Are they going to work together, or be in different zoos? If this game is going to start using periphery programs to operate, I kind of want to know what they're going to do.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 2
03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Perfect World already has their Core system. Both systems strike me as trying to be the same thing, and both are underutilized at the moment, so why do we have both? Are they going to work together, or be in different zoos? If this game is going to start using periphery programs to operate, I kind of want to know what they're going to do.
They are completely different, in my opinion I think of Core as a Steam-like platform where the Gateway is an interface to some game aspects without needing the full client.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 3
03-19-2013, 04:54 PM
I like the CORE system but it doesn't seem to use STO as it does the other PW games. Is it going to include STO at some point so I can keep up with friends/ fleet mates?
Empire Veteran
# 4
03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
ok. you use the CORE to check the stats on your character and I will use the gateway
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 5
03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher2086 View Post
I like the CORE system but it doesn't seem to use STO as it does the other PW games. Is it going to include STO at some point so I can keep up with friends/ fleet mates?
That's something we would really like to see, but I don't have an ETA on if/ when.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 6
03-19-2013, 05:41 PM
I tried to log in to the Gateway the other day, but it kept rejecting my PW login.

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Career Officer
# 7
03-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Well, I was just thinking today, when I was looking at it before work, that I'd really like to see an expanded library of sorts in the future. I've played this game since launch, but I don't have a lot of knowledge on kits, weapons, ship stats, etc, past what I've already played the heck out.

For example, I rarely use my sci guy, but I've been playing him more lately. Today I just figured out the HE power for ground. I know, I know.

Anyways, as I was playing around with Gateway, I figured out that I could look at other fleet mates layouts, see the weapons they were using and get stats and what those weapons do. It was really cool. I never have used some of their weapon types, but seeing the little info on them was interesting and made me think about a database of some sort.

So, I'd love to see a "Ship Library," much like the Requisition area, but of course in a three category, in a list type way. Then I could look at different ship stats (maybe have an ability to compare two ships {have them side by side} in order to see the differences) that I might be interested in. Or have an armory page that has a list of all the weapons, then we could look and see what each does. Then have a console page and the big part would be a stat if it stacks or not.

I am really eager to see the DOFF inclusion though. Would love to re-que missions while I'm on break at work.
Career Officer
# 8
03-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diotw View Post
I tried to log in to the Gateway the other day, but it kept rejecting my PW login.
Were you using Internet Explorer? If so, it doesn't work with it. You need to use Firefox or Chrome.
Captain
# 9
03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
That's something we would really like to see, but I don't have an ETA on if/ when.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
SIGH...

Is there ever going to be ANYTHING for STO that you guys can give an answer for other than "We would like to see this but we don't have an ETA on if/when."

Everything about STO seems to be either hidden behind a cloak of mystery or locked behind a wall of vagueness. Is there one thing that you guys are proud enough about or confident enough with that you can actually come out and say "Here's what you are doing!"?

And I am not going to buy the "whatever we say, someone's going to complain.

Let them.

IF you guys pay attention to the forums, you know that the things people rage about are fairly consistent, as they have been repeated over and over and over for nearly three years. It is not the community's fault that they have gone unaddressed. Maybe if Cryptic would start proactively and directly addressing issues that spawn wide-spread distaste, maybe they won't be issues anymore.

We get it that the internal metrics show the majority of active STO accounts are in there playing happily and not complaining on the forums. Fine... Don't change the game in a way that would give them any cause to join the unwashed masses in the forums. But many of the issues we "whine" about here in the forums are valid to us.

Take time off from the next lockbox or grindfest to address these issues. Go through the list of many cool ideas that you guys have acknowledged as such and dammit actually do something WITH them.

PWE's idea of a good MMO may be one that requires little real engagement from developers with the addition of new carrots on new sticks just to keep people running on the treadmill. But Star Trek deserves more and better than that.

Yes, I know that this is a Core vs Gateway discussion. But the same crap that plagues the actual game itself is typified here with yet another official "We'd like to but don't know if or when we will..."

You know? I bet at your meetings and such it pretty much goes something like management telling you all what you will be doing with no real room for presenting ideas that might take things out of the box a bit... And in the instances where someone DOES speak up, it wouldn't surprise me if the management goes, "That's something we would like to see happen, but we don't know if or when it will."

That sums up the corporatized game development industry pretty much. That's why so many titles that get released to a lot of hype, but prove to be mediocre. The ONLY MMO that has shined for most of the past decade has been WoW... We're not talking about Blizzard consistently releasing top products. It's the same product they have been riding all this time. But there have been MANY MMOs to spring up and die off since WoW came out. Many of them could have been awesome, but management is like "This is what Blizzard did and it netted them X million players, so we can do that and reap those numbers too!"

NOBODY is innovating. Those who do not innovate stagnate...

There is nothing innovative about STO. And it is stagnating.

Where is the fire and passion? Grindfests designed to be nothing but blatantly that? Come ON!" Where is the enthusiasm. There are people who have stuck it out since day one here who have more passion and enthusiasm for this game than it seems its own developers have. That is truly sad. Because this game has such great potential.

Come on, Cryptic... Grow a pair, and an extra, step up to the plate, and knock it out of the park. If not for us, or for the potential STO truly has, for yourselves. Show PWE how we do things in the Western World!
I'm glad you like this game.

As for me... I like games that I can play, not games that try to play me.

Last edited by sirsitsalot; 03-19-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Captain
# 10
03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Were you using Internet Explorer? If so, it doesn't work with it. You need to use Firefox or Chrome.
Works fine in IE10.