Career Officer
# 11
11-01-2012, 01:13 PM
To answer some of your questions, why don't people complain in real life stores the way they do on the forums? A number of reasons.

Personally I think an important one is that there's not a whole lot of car dealerships who'll sell you a cigarette lighter for as much as it cost to buy the car. Which is unfortunately what STO does, when it sells one (3) ship(s) at the same price the entire game went for at launch. For the price entire games go for still. But those are only two ships? Sure, but I'd say a cigarette lighter, windscreen wiper or spare tire for half the cost of the new car is probably still just a little bit outlandish.

Another reason is that at least a part of the online customer base is a lot better informed than the average traditional shopper, and while someone who knows the latest Apple product to be outperformed by many of the cheaper alternatives won't be present in the Apple store to point this out to the general public, which believes the most expensive thing is always the best thing, we all ride the same internet together. And there's a very thin line on the internet, between whining, complaining, and public service announcements.

So why don't people leave this game, if they find so much of it objectionable?

I have heard this question so often, that, considering what forum we're on, I've started to take offense at it. This is not Generic Cryptic Space MMO Online. It's Star Trek online. Many of the most loyal fans of this game, aren't fans of this game. They're not here for any game at all. They're here for Star Trek. And though it's not hard to throw a stone and hit a better MMO, none of those will substitute for that one reason I rather tire of repeating. Cause while you may be oblivious to this fact, trust me, Cryptic and PWE are not, which leads a lot of people (probably correctly) to believe they full well know they're getting away with things they shouldn't be able to.

As for you being trolled? Come on now, Darramouss1, spot the differences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0
You must have a very miserable life to complain about others complaints. And a very miserable one if your only interest in life is "profit".
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1
If the only thing you have to do with your life is engage in a game that you hate then you really need to take a good look at yourself and your life.
Why are the rules different for you? Why can no one but you complain? Why can no one but you call into question another's life and choices? Who told you you're so special?
Reave
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrisvalar View Post
So why don't people leave this game, if they find so much of it objectionable?

I have heard this question so often, that, considering what forum we're on, I've started to take offense at it. This is not Generic Cryptic Space MMO Online. It's Star Trek online. Many of the most loyal fans of this game, aren't fans of this game. They're not here for any game at all. They're here for Star Trek. And though it's not hard to throw a stone and hit a better MMO, none of those will substitute for that one reason I rather tire of repeating. Cause while you may be oblivious to this fact, trust me, Cryptic and PWE are not, which leads a lot of people (probably correctly) to believe they full well know they're getting away with things they shouldn't be able to.
Hey, I'm a huge Trek fan. I watched two episodes today whilst the server was down. I understand that the fact that this MMO is the only Trek MMO counts for something, but it gets tiring blocking soooo many negative people on ESD and DS9. The negativity gets so draining. Yes, I started a negative thread here, but it's in response to such copious amounts of negativity in the forums and game. Are roman1229 and I the only ones who get tired of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrisvalar View Post
Why are the rules different for you? Why can no one but you complain? Why can no one but you call into question another's life and choices? Who told you you're so special?
You're right. I apologise for that last comment on my original post and I acknowledge that it was wrong. As for who told me I was special? My Mum, of course!! I know every Mum tells that to their kids, but it still counts!! ;-)
Empire Veteran
# 13
11-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Hey, I'm a huge Trek fan. I watched two episodes today whilst the server was down. I understand that the fact that this MMO is the only Trek MMO counts for something, but it gets tiring blocking soooo many negative people on ESD and DS9. The negativity gets so draining. Yes, I started a negative thread here, but it's in response to such copious amounts of negativity in the forums and game. Are roman1229 and I the only ones who get tired of it?
If you don't mind me being blunt:

Just turn off Zone chat. I mean, that alone saves me a lot of headaches, just turning it off and never having to deal with Zone.

Starfleet Veteran
# 14
11-01-2012, 03:47 PM
I hardly ever visit the forums anymore. The STO forums used to be one of the best communities around and I'd contribute for a few hours each day. The sad fact is that it's a reflection on the state of the game, and its not going to get any better.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
11-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
If you don't mind me being blunt:

Just turn off Zone chat. I mean, that alone saves me a lot of headaches, just turning it off and never having to deal with Zone.
It's a shame to have to do that. Now and then you get really good conversation over the chat that can be fun to contribute to. More importantly, sometimes you get new people who need a hand, because, let's face it, for a new person it really is a big game. I like being able to help people who need it. I feel it's a way to pass on the good things that people did for me when I started the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
I hardly ever visit the forums anymore. The STO forums used to be one of the best communities around and I'd contribute for a few hours each day. The sad fact is that it's a reflection on the state of the game, and its not going to get any better.
I hope things don't stay that way. PWE does seem to be making long term content which I feel will make the short term content they hopefully release soon even more meaningful. Maybe that means things around the forums might turn around? One can only hope...