Lt. Commander
I look at this game and I only play it because its the only star trek mmo out there right now. Its far from perfect, but I have seen worse. It atleast has some substance that people can use. My issue is its only surviving. What I mean by that is how do they expect to get or keep new players if they want people to pay 30 bucks a ship, just to compete. Call me crazy but I would wager most players after finding that little tibit out would probably quit, unless they were star trek fans.

So I came up with a thought well playing my max level klingon. Why not release these ships except for the exotics to the entire player base if they are subscribed. By exotics I mean ships like vulcan, or the NX enterprise. Now before everyone has a heart attack hear me out. You release the ships with there bridges, but not with there prop consoles. The truth is most people are buying these ships for there consoles. Also lowing the price for cstore items by half for those who are subscribed. This includes lifetime subs. This way your giving everyone a shot at the new content, and most importantly hope. Right now if I was not a star trek fan I wouldnt be coming back every so often.

If the lowering the price in half is too much atleast do the first half. Give them them the ship with all its items, except for the special consoles. I look at this game as a mmo player, its like holy cow they made a game for the rich only. I dont know what you think is going on outside your home, but people are having money problems. Dont try to tell me its that persons fault, or ill write a whole dang page on reality starting with the increase in cost of RL food. So devs please consider my words, because right now this game offers 0 hope for a new player, on a tight money budget.
Empire Veteran
# 2
11-01-2012, 12:03 AM
I really feel for you and wholeheartly understand where you're coming from. Long ago, in a time where F2P was not around, you could obtain VA ships for free without a cost. There was no special consoles, well not to the extent that we have now.

I buy the vessels but not for their consoles (Those are just added bonuses), but for the sheer variety.

Before the conversion from Cryptic Points to Zen, prices on the CStore were ok, not great, but ok, since the conversion almost everything on the CStore went up to about 33% in price. Thats a huge increase.

Example:

Caitian and Aenar Brdige Officers:

Before Conversion: 100 Cryptic Points

After Conversion: 500+ Zen points - Thats a huge price increase

There is a sliver of HOPE, by farming the Dilithium, you can convert them to zen - Granted it will take you a very very very long time to mount enough zen, but it can be done with dedication. The thing is, are people willing to commit for that long of a period of time.

Last edited by stark2k; 11-01-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 3
11-01-2012, 12:04 AM
AS nice as that would all be, unfortunately I doubt it'll happen, because you don't have to pay anything to buy stuff in the C-store. You can technically grind dilithium each day, every day until you get what you want.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, just that's how it is.

That said, I dunno how well a discount for gold and lifers would work, because they already gain a 500 Zen stipend each month. I mean, it'd be a great perk, but Lifers don't pay money for a subscription anymore, and Gold members only really pay as long as they want to pay. It just seems like it would cut too much into the whole 'spending' money thing if they did so much.

Captain
# 4
11-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaalom View Post
Why not release these ships except for the exotics to the entire player base if they are subscribed.

(snip)

I dont know what you think is going on outside your home, but people are having money problems. Dont try to tell me its that persons fault, or ill write a whole dang page on reality starting with the increase in cost of RL food. So devs please consider my words, because right now this game offers 0 hope for a new player, on a tight money budget.
While I feel for your situation , I think you kinda said some opposing things above .
If you have to choose between food and a game then you should not subscribe to a game .
And if you should not be subscribing then you should not ask for perks for subscribers .
I'm sorry if that sounds harsh , but that too is part of reality .

I can also bemoan the fact that I have to grind with several toons to afford something nice in game every few months -- but there it is . That's my option .
And I can only "thank" Cryptic for trying to nerf Dill giving gameplay in S.7 -- while offering "more options" to grind more for less Dill .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Empire Veteran
# 5
11-01-2012, 09:02 AM
You'll get a better game experience if you learn more about the game. If you're still new to it, you probably don't know how it works and how you can obtain stuff for free. Others will still pay for it but it's a trade: you can trade your knowledge for items.

I currently own every single lockbox ship - the very expensive ones. They can be bought on the exchange. I've just figured out many ways to earn energy credits and I earn 5 to 10m ECs a day without much work. Some days it's just by loggin in ans see what i've sold. That's how I got most of my endgame stuff. Since I don't want to farm dilithium (it's boring and not rewarding), I've bought a lifetime sub but I could have remained silver without any trouble. I have really now RL money issues, I have an interesting job but also a lot of free time, but it doesn't mean i want to spend too much of my money on virtual items. So, if you don't want to pay a dime, don't. You'll never need that anyway, this game is easy.

Join an active fleet, with experienced members. Don't join small ones, the more people you can talk to, the better you learn. They'll share their knowledge with you, and eventually you'll figure out new workarounds not to spend (a lot of) money to get endgame stuff. Don't forget to share that knowledge with your friends and they might share their secrets tricks with you.

Last edited by diogene0; 11-01-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Captain
# 6
11-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
You'll get a better game experience if you learn more about the game. If you're still new to it, you probably don't know how it works and how you can obtain stuff for free. Others will still pay for it but it's a trade: you can trade your knowledge for items.

I currently own every single lockbox ship - the very expensive ones. They can be bought on the exchange. I've just figured out many ways to earn energy credits and I earn 5 to 10m ECs a day without much work. Some days it's just by loggin in ans see what i've sold. That's how I got most of my endgame stuff. Since I don't want to farm dilithium (it's boring and not rewarding), I've bought a lifetime sub but I could have remained silver without any trouble. I have really now RL money issues, I have an interesting job but also a lot of free time, but it doesn't mean i want to spend too much of my money on virtual items. So, if you don't want to pay a dime, don't. You'll never need that anyway, this game is easy.

Join an active fleet, with experienced members. Don't join small ones, the more people you can talk to, the better you learn. They'll share their knowledge with you, and eventually you'll figure out new workarounds not to spend (a lot of) money to get endgame stuff. Don't forget to share that knowledge with your friends and they might share their secrets tricks with you.
There's a lot of really good advice here, +1.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
11-01-2012, 09:47 AM
There is no doubt that this game is for hard core trek fans, no-one else in their right mind would waste time in here.

Lets face it the game isn't that good...its a quick leveling to nowhere. Once you level to the max there is nothing to do...why get the best gear?...where do you use it?

Fix PVP and maybe there is a point to getting the best gear so you can win in PVP.....there is no end game that requires the best gear unlike other MMo's

This is the Star Trek bling museum.. i feel sorry for the players that can't afford 30 bucks a ship because they wont be able to say "hey look at my nice new ship"

Its a shame this game could have been so much more.

Last edited by gemack; 11-01-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-01-2012, 03:59 PM
I was just using food cost as an example, that people just dont have that kind of cash laying around. By cash I mean 30 bucks for a ship. Something needs to be done for sto to become something. Right now its only surviving. They can add all the content they want, but as long as they are charging people 30 bucks for best art in the game, no new player in their right mind would play sto.

At some point for this game to become something it has to move beyond hard core star trek fans. Lets look at the Excalibur for example. She was supposed to be the top notch patrol cruiser for the Federation. Now with the constitution refit out, the constitution refit not only looks better, but is larger then the Excalibur. The new art on most of these new ships are way better then the old ones. Its not like they would be giving them away for free. The person would still have to pay 15 bucks a month. If cryptic put a lock in the game, like say if they stopped subbing, they wouldn't be able to launch those ships, that would make sense.

They really need to give the new player something good from beginning to end, or they wont stick around, because 30 bucks is steep. Endless grinds ware down a player more then anything in a mmo.