Career Officer
Hey!

This one is just a quick thought and not a terribly new one but I think it would be both good for pocketbooks and good for the game if a content dev was tasked with making sure every C-Store, Lobi, or Lockbox cosmetic item is somehow represented in a mission, even if it was just a bunch of little ones like Hearts and Minds, Defera dailies, or going back to some old missions to remaster them. (For example: TNG series uniforms in "State of Q.")

And I think it would be a good policy going forward. It's good buzz. It's content, even if it's sometimes light. It's what your big toy IP lines do. (A fun but challenging hurdle for folks who've worked on G.I.Joe/Transformers/My Little Pony/etc. was always to work in at least a memorable cameo for every new product they could.)

There may not have been the manpower for that before but with a 40+ person team, I think it'd be good, it'd provide more things to do, and it might move older C-Store items.
Captain
# 2
11-02-2012, 12:23 PM
This is what I have been pushing for for a while now. Short of indirectly or directly monetizing mission content, Cryptic could use mission creation as a means of showcasing the stuff which IS monetized.

Like giving us a mission that takes us into the 29th century as we are recruited by the crew of a Welles Class timeship to help correct a problem in our own timeline. we'd get to see the questgiver and other NPCs wearing the 29th century Federation uniforms.

Battles fought that involve NPC federation ships could have C-store ship models used as NPC ships.

Also, every Federation NPC needs to be updated to be wearing varriants of the Jupiter uniforms, each varriant being consistant based on the location. So ESD's NPCs would wear a specific Jupiter Top and bottom with the Red, Blue and Gold being the only varriation. NPCs at K7 would have a different Jupiter top/bottom combo.

So far, Starfleet Academy is the only place that is doing it right by having all the NPCs there wearing the Starfleet Academy uniforms almost exclusively. As it is now, everything seems to be thrown together in a haphazard way.
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Commander
# 3
11-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
This is what I have been pushing for for a while now. Short of indirectly or directly monetizing mission content, Cryptic could use mission creation as a means of showcasing the stuff which IS monetized.

Like giving us a mission that takes us into the 29th century as we are recruited by the crew of a Welles Class timeship to help correct a problem in our own timeline. we'd get to see the questgiver and other NPCs wearing the 29th century Federation uniforms.
I agree, I think this is an excellent idea. It would make sense to release even a short, no-custscene, mission to go with each lockbox release that ties in the theme, gives everyone a lockbox to start out, and lets them see what's being showcased. Maybe do the same with each major C-store release.

Satisfy the drive for 'new content' and also showcase the new gear!

Don't tell me it'd take too much time or effort, I bet the time spent in the foundry putting together a 15-20 minute mission would be less than a tenth or a hundredth of the time spent putting together the new Lockbox ship.
Captain
# 4
11-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I could see how this could backfire, but as long as it isn't shoved in my face, and treated as background fluff I could see this working.

For example, how many people have been asking for the Jupiter and Typhoon?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Commander
# 5
11-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I could see how this could backfire, but as long as it isn't shoved in my face, and treated as background fluff I could see this working.
I wouldn't make it blatant, and I'd give the players a reward for the mission (even if it's just a loot bag or 480 dilithium or something).

Might add a bit of dynamic life to the game.

You log on the first time after S.7 goes live and you get a little mission popup that says "Admiral [name], Starfleet has requested that you deliver Ambassador T'Lok of Vulcan to New Romulus for her meeting with the new leader of the Romulan unificationists, D'Tan. She'll explain more when you meet her on Vulcan."

So you run to Vulcan, get a ground scene where you go pick up T'Lok and get some background fluff on the Tau Dwera sector block, and then she directs you to New Romulus.

When you enter the New Romulus system, you find the U.S.S. Vesta under attack by Tholians; she'll help you drive them off in space and then the Vesta hails that she's been boarded and you beam over to clear them off the Vesta before beaming down to the surface of New Romulus with Ambassador T'Lok.

Cue cut-scene.

Something like that, perhaps? Probably take no more than a couple of hours in the Foundry.
Captain
# 6
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishkin View Post
I wouldn't make it blatant, and I'd give the players a reward for the mission (even if it's just a loot bag or 480 dilithium or something).

Might add a bit of dynamic life to the game.

You log on the first time after S.7 goes live and you get a little mission popup that says "Admiral [name], Starfleet has requested that you deliver Ambassador T'Lok of Vulcan to New Romulus for her meeting with the new leader of the Romulan unificationists, D'Tan. She'll explain more when you meet her on Vulcan."

So you run to Vulcan, get a ground scene where you go pick up T'Lok and get some background fluff on the Tau Dwera sector block, and then she directs you to New Romulus.

When you enter the New Romulus system, you find the U.S.S. Vesta under attack by Tholians; she'll help you drive them off in space and then the Vesta hails that she's been boarded and you beam over to clear them off the Vesta before beaming down to the surface of New Romulus with Ambassador T'Lok.

Cue cut-scene.

Something like that, perhaps? Probably take no more than a couple of hours in the Foundry.
I could see stuff like that working this way.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lieutenant
# 7
11-03-2012, 08:34 AM
OK, it's a good idea, and the community came up with it.

The combination of these two factors ensures that this idea will never, ever be implemented in the game; huge egos cannot abide letting anyone else have credit for anything.
Captain
# 8
11-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chastity1337 View Post
OK, it's a good idea, and the community came up with it.

The combination of these two factors ensures that this idea will never, ever be implemented in the game; huge egos cannot abide letting anyone else have credit for anything.
Hush you. Lots of things ingame were because of the community. Just because they don't listen to everything, doesn't mean they don't listen.

Community Moderator
# 9
11-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Hey!

This one is just a quick thought and not a terribly new one but I think it would be both good for pocketbooks and good for the game if a content dev was tasked with making sure every C-Store, Lobi, or Lockbox cosmetic item is somehow represented in a mission, even if it was just a bunch of little ones like Hearts and Minds, Defera dailies, or going back to some old missions to remaster them. (For example: TNG series uniforms in "State of Q.")

And I think it would be a good policy going forward. It's good buzz. It's content, even if it's sometimes light. It's what your big toy IP lines do. (A fun but challenging hurdle for folks who've worked on G.I.Joe/Transformers/My Little Pony/etc. was always to work in at least a memorable cameo for every new product they could.)

There may not have been the manpower for that before but with a 40+ person team, I think it'd be good, it'd provide more things to do, and it might move older C-Store items.
Yep, a very good idea and one I'm surprised they don't do more of. We've seen occasional instances of it in the past and it tends to work on me
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Rihannsu
# 10
11-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I've seen a few things like what's being suggested.

So far I've seen the Oddy show up in combat on tribble in in a TD system patrol and in the new space STF. I've also seen the Vulcan sci ship show up in one of the Embassy dailies and the Admiral on New Romulus is wearing the C-Store TNG admiral's uniform.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.