Career Officer
# 1 New Romulus Area Map
11-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Map gets "fuzzy" at times, as if it's not displaying at the proper resolution when zoomed in, but if I drag the map around it clears up a bit.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
11-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Yup, working on a fix for this.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Captain
# 3
11-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Yup, working on a fix for this.
Is there any chance more maps could be re-done in this style?
Career Officer
# 4
11-03-2012, 02:01 AM
The area map is fantastic. If the fuzzy business could be cleared up it would be even better, but I really like the style, and it suits the large map very well.

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK
Cryptic Studios Team
# 5
11-04-2012, 12:01 AM
It was necessary on this map due to the different areas that have specific missions tied to them, so when we initially playtested, everyone was saying, "Where's the forest?" "Where's the Atlai?" etc. So we figured we needed to label those areas.

I think everyone agree the map treatment is a big plus. I would certainly like to do this elsewhere, but it is somewhat time consuming and a bit tricky to get working right (as you guys have noticed).

I doubt it's something we'll do to all other maps, but I would expect to see it done in places that it makes sense, or which seem to require it as this map did.

Quote:
Captain
# 6
11-04-2012, 01:46 AM
Quote:
It was necessary on this map due to the different areas that have specific missions tied to them, so when we initially playtested, everyone was saying, "Where's the forest?" "Where's the Atlai?" etc. So we figured we needed to label those areas.

I think everyone agree the map treatment is a big plus. I would certainly like to do this elsewhere, but it is somewhat time consuming and a bit tricky to get working right (as you guys have noticed).

I doubt it's something we'll do to all other maps, but I would expect to see it done in places that it makes sense, or which seem to require it as this map did.
Defera and Nukara -might- need it. Not mandatory though. (unlike New Romulus, this I agree with you guys)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Career Officer
# 7
11-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Quote:

i think it would make sense to have maps like that for *explored areas*
the *satellite photo*-maps makes sense for unexplored planets, or planets without civilisations.

it makes sense that the Romulans would have already made some real maps for their new homeworld.

but on Earth / Starfleet Accademy we need at least google earth quality

the first city on Qo'nos probably could use a map like that too.

add some federation / klingon vibes to the look and feel of the map so it feels like we are looking at a Federation or Klingon Tricorder / Software.

Bajor and Andoria probably would have proper maps too.
Maybe the main Starbases.

but thats about it i think.

Thats something like 10 maps total, that should be doable.
Captain
# 8
11-04-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:

Any chance of an improvement to the resolution of the auto-generated maps? There was one in the Breen series on a jungle planet that looked gorgeous, but most end up looking pretty awful. It might sound a bit silly, but a fair few people I've tried to get into the game end up commenting on the map quality.

Actually, I think a lot of my issues with the maps would be gone if you guys get a fix for the "image only focused in centre of map, pixelated outside of centre" bug.

EDIT: Oh, and I think the New Romulus treatment should be applied to at least the following heavily used zones:
Bajor
Defera
Nukara
Starfleet Academy
Klingon Academy
First City
Cryptic Studios Team
# 9
11-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
i think it would make sense to have maps like that for *explored areas*
the *satellite photo*-maps makes sense for unexplored planets, or planets without civilisations.
Ya, that seems like a reasonable idea/way to differentiate which maps get the treatment. Still, need the time to do that.

Quote:
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
11-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Ya, that seems like a reasonable idea/way to differentiate which maps get the treatment. Still, need the time to do that.
I hear rumors that you guys waste time sleeping